none
Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed - Setup Hell!

Question

• I have a windows forms application that we have been able to upgrade previously with no problem. I'm working on a new version and have done all the typical property settings in the setup project including updating the version of the setup as well as in the project assembly. Allowing the setup to update the ProductCode. Verified that the upgrade code is the same as the setup for the previous version. Have DetectNewerInstalledVersion = true & RemovePreviousVersions = true. When I build and try to run this I get the dreaded "Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed" message. If I set DetectNewerInstalledVersion  = false then I get two line items in the Add and Remove Programs window of the control panel. One for the previous version and one for the new version even though they are both installed in the same location. 

I've tried every possible combination and have run out of ideas. I can't manually uninstall previous version because users are spread out through out the US and we have a script process that executes the msi when we release the it and the user logs in. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance for your help, 

Santiago 

Santiago Perez Software Engineer
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

• What exact version numbers are you using, and which version of Visual Studio?

To debug this yourself, get hold of Orca (in the Windows SDK) and open your MSI file. Visual Studio puts entries in the Upgrade table.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372379(v=vs.85).aspx

If you look at the versions in your table and the docs you may see what's wrong. I believe that versions less than 1.0 have caused issues in the past.

Phil Wilson
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Please be sure the Revision Numver (a GUID value) of the new MSI file is same with the older installed one (you could view this value from the Properties dialog of the MSI file). So I suggest you copy this value from the MSI file Properties / Details, and write the value for all new MSI files.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:23 AM

All replies

• What exact version numbers are you using, and which version of Visual Studio?

To debug this yourself, get hold of Orca (in the Windows SDK) and open your MSI file. Visual Studio puts entries in the Upgrade table.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372379(v=vs.85).aspx

If you look at the versions in your table and the docs you may see what's wrong. I believe that versions less than 1.0 have caused issues in the past.

Phil Wilson
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Please be sure the Revision Numver (a GUID value) of the new MSI file is same with the older installed one (you could view this value from the Properties dialog of the MSI file). So I suggest you copy this value from the MSI file Properties / Details, and write the value for all new MSI files.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:23 AM