none
Slow startup of ClickOnce application after upgrade

Question

• We have a WPF application which we deploy via ClickOnce. We're noticing that the application has extremely slow startup times after a ClickOnce upgrade. This doesn't seem to be a cold start/warm start issues, as the behavior can be seen even when other WPF apps have been run within a few seconds of the upgraded application. App starts after the upgrade are normal.

Some details

• FW - .Net 3.5 SP1
    • ClickOnce Manifests are signed w/ a certificate
    • <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" />

Any ideas on what's going on?

--Scott W.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott Weinstein,

Could you describe the situation more clearly? What does slow mean in your post?

When you click your application to start, does it keep silent a little time with no inface shown on the screen?

Does it show a "check for update" dialog and keep for a little time then launch your main form?

Did you set the Application Updates to "Before the application starts"?
    If you have set the property like that and the network connection is slow can cause this problem.

You can try to uninstall the application and reinstall it to see if the problem still exist.

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:37 AM
  • So after the check for update, and the ClickOnce download window complete, the application will start (as seen in procexp) but no UI or any user application code will run. Slow means this can take as long as 2-5 min.  Normal warm start is 1-2 seconds. 
    --Scott W.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:50 AM
  • Hi Scott,

You mean the application hang up after the update is checked and before the main form is shown. I have never met similar case before. Please try to uninstall that application and reinstall it to see if it fix the problem.

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian
    • Edited by Kira Qian Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:29 AM m
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:28 AM
  •  Yes, that's exactly this issue. Except no Form, a WPF Window. Uninstall/reinstall sometimes helps, but is hardly a good solution when deploying to lots of users.
    --Scott W.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Hi Scott Weinstein,

Please use Process Monitor to take a watch at the process. To see what it is doing at that time.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

I have seen the same problem with ClickOnce and .NET 2.0 Winforms. The process is running (I can see it the Task Manager). However Main form takes 2-3 minuted to appear.

Seems to me something to do with ClickOnce. However if the application process is running I would not think it ClickOnce problem.

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:03 PM