none
localization (different installer in different langauges)

Question

• hi

i made an  windows application and now need to deploy that application in different language versions. for the time being by the property of windows installer (at design time) i got a property of Localization and got 12 language options to get installer in following languages

english =
    chinease simplified =
    chinease traditional =
    french =
    german =
    italian =
    japanese =
    korean  =
    portuguese =
    russian =
    spanish =

thats' good but i need to translate my installer in some other languages which i m mentioning:

arabic
    danish
    dutch
    finnish
    greek
    hebrew
    hindi
    norwegian
    swedish
    thai
    turkish

plz tell me how can i translate my installer version only in above mentioned languages
    Monday, April 16, 2007 10:11 AM

Answers

• You'd need to do it manually, updating the text in the MSI file using Orca from the Windows SDK. Most of the text is in the Control table and the Property table.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• You'd need to do it manually, updating the text in the MSI file using Orca from the Windows SDK. Most of the text is in the Control table and the Property table.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:26 PM
  • hi Muhammad,,,,

I have the same issue here... did you solve your problem???

if yes, plz tell me how to do that??

Thanks so much;

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:51 AM
  • oh man use orca.exe for it Wink
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:51 PM
  • ahaaa... so Orca.exe is the solution for any thing related to setup controls .. such as masked password

Friday, April 20, 2007 8:28 AM
  • yes somehow orca.exe is awesome we can even install visual studio 2005 without winxp sp2 Wink using orca and ofcourse our mind Big Smile i wrote couple of blogs about it at my blog site http://realfantasy.wordpress.com Wink

but i didn't get your point about masked password Sad can u dilebate it plz and thanks for confirming about your gender Smile
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 10:13 AM
  • well.....I meant if you want to make any Textbox in your setup wizard displays stars(****) instead of real value, you need to use Orca.exe...

there is also another way to do that...check this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1446760&SiteID=1

both of them do the same thing,, which is change the textbox attribute...

anyways, I have a question about the Arabic text in the setup project....

I downloaded the Orac.exe ,then I opened the .msi file and I changed the body text of the cancel dialog(in the control table)... also I changed the ProductLanguage in the property table to 1025 (Arabic Langauge)....

but when I ran this setup, I got garbage insead of Arabic Text Sad

what shall I do to slove this problem???

Thanks...

Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:23 PM
  • No comment!!! Sad
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:11 PM
  • All that does is tell Windows Installer which 'codepage' to use to display the strings. It does not switch to a different set of strings.

To retranslate strings, you need to go to [Program Files]\Visual Studio [ver]\Common7\tools\deployment\vsddialogs.

Copy the 1033 folder to something like 1025.  Then open each .WID and .WIM file and edit all the display text...

the two places you are most likely to find them are in the Control table and Property table.  It's kind of tricky, and lots of dialogs and controls, etc...  it's a lot of work.

sorry i was busy thats y couldn't reply, u can email me your IM id at adnanaman@gmail.com .. hopefully we could learn from each other and could be in touch in better way. Smile best of luck

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:30 PM
  • No comment!!!Sad
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:41 AM
  • We have been waiting several years for new languages to be added. Will there be any? Ever?
    What about Nordic languages?
    Using orca isn't that fun.

Appleforce

Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:06 PM