none
Deploy multiple exe using Clickonce

Question

• Hi there,

I'm kinda new to the whole Clickonce process; but here's my problem. I can manage to publish my application main exe on my local IIS (IIS7, windows vista) but what I need, is to publish my whole application: My application is made from a main exe (Menu.exe) which shells a few other exe. It doesn't seem possible to include the other exe in the publish process from VS2008 so I tried to do it with MageUI.exe of the 3.5 SDK kit.

The install process seems to work until the application tries to fetch one of the secondary exe where i get an error:

System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (RefDefValidation)

It says something like "Reference in the manifest does not match the downloaded assembly identity for AppStartup.exe" Which is the first exe it tried to fetch when i click "Install" on the clickonce install window.

Any help would be welcome, I really have no clue how to deploy a multi-exe application ...

Best regards,

Fred

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Freddy Mercury

Please download the sample from my SkyDrive WindowsFormsApplication1.rar. In this sample, I have create two project with two EXE. I added “WindowsFormsApplication2.exe” to the “WindowsFormsApplication1” project. Then I built an published the WindowsFormsApplication1. Then both app1 and app2 had been published to the local IIS, you can try to test it.

If you have any question, please feel free to tell me.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Fred

ClickOnce doesn’t support to publish multi-project output. If you really want to include the EXE built by other project, you need to add these files to your current project,  then you can include them as the application files. While MSI support multi-project output. You can add more than one out put of your projects.

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please tell me.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:50 AM
  • Hi Kira,

Actually, here's my situation: I have 1 exe called Menu, which is my "main" project. Menu uses shell to execute other exe (other VS2008 projects). Right now, I have menu.exe, a few DLLs and a couple EXEs.

I can publish my Menu project without any problem, it deploys on my locahost IIS and I can install it. If I try to add one of my other Exe (DriverEcran.exe for example) in the project's (Menu) reference, the deployment works, but when I start the clickonce installer, I get an error : "+ La référence dans le manifeste ne correspond pas à l'identité de l'assembly téléchargé DriverEcran.exe." which would translate to "The manifest reference does not match the assembly identity of DriverEcran.exe".

So as you just said earlier, I presume I get an error because Clickonce supports deployment for only 1 project and it's DLL, I cannot include some more EXE apps.

Right now I'm a bit clueless about how I will deploy this multiple EXE application. I taught I could publish my "Menu" project including all the other EXE on a website and clickonce would update all the necessary DLLs and EXEs at launch.

What would be the best way to manage this kind of application using Clickonce deployment? I guess the only way would be to deploy each single EXE seperatly and instead of shelling the EXE, I should use Web links so the clickonce process would update and start the EXE?

Thanks,

Fred

Monday, November 10, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Hi Freddy Mercury

Please download the sample from my SkyDrive WindowsFormsApplication1.rar. In this sample, I have create two project with two EXE. I added “WindowsFormsApplication2.exe” to the “WindowsFormsApplication1” project. Then I built an published the WindowsFormsApplication1. Then both app1 and app2 had been published to the local IIS, you can try to test it.

If you have any question, please feel free to tell me.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Sorry I didn't get what you told me in the first place

It works fine now, Thanks!

Fred

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Hi Fred,

My company, Red Sky Software, has produced a piece of software called ClickOnceMore (http://www.clickoncemore.net) that may be helpful to you. It is designed for building and deploying ClickOnce manifests.

Having created both of your applications in Visual Studio, you can use ClickOnceMore to create a set of ClickOnce manifests that include any files you wish with your application. It also allows you to specify which folders they get installed to on the target machine. I appreciate you have already found a solution, but ClickOnceMore may provide you with a more managable option.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Kira,

Can you please post your solution to CodePlex other than SkyDrive. Since some coroprations don't allow accessting the SkyDrive from their networks.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:20 PM