none
Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor.

Question

•  

Greetings,

I am getting this error when trying to launch a ClickOnce app. I searched around, but didn't seem to find anything applicable.

This is happening on one of my development machines, but the app lauches fine on another. Before today, it worked fine on both.

In addition, I cannot uninstall the application. When I try, it looks like there's a brief message box, but it disappears so quickly you can't tell what it says.

Below is the log file. I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly - not sure which assembly it thinks is not on my system.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.3053
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rick%20Ortiz/Start%20Menu/Programs/Alb%20Reads%20Sign%20In/Alb%20Reads%20Sign%20In.appref-ms%7C

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Ortiz\Start Menu\Programs\Alb Reads Sign In\Alb Reads Sign In.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [11/20/2008 10:20:58 AM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Ortiz\Start Menu\Programs\Alb Reads Sign In\Alb Reads Sign In.appref-ms| has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [11/20/2008 10:20:58 AM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
      - The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.GetAssemblyManifest(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetAssemblyManifest(DefinitionIdentity asmId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionState.Validate()
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionState.get_IsInstalled()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• Delete the \apps\2.0\ folder (assuming you don't have any other ClickOnce apps) and try the install again.

On Vista, that folder is under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\

On XP, try c:\Documents & Settings\User\LocalSettings\Apps\2.0\

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:52 AM

All replies

• Delete the \apps\2.0\ folder (assuming you don't have any other ClickOnce apps) and try the install again.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:52 AM
  •  

Thanks RobinS,

I did have other ClickOnce apps installed, but nothing that can't be installed again. Your suggestion worked - appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Hello from Mexico...

RobinDotNet, muchas gracias por tu ayuda.

Segui tus recomendaciones y mi aplicacion ya se ejecuta de manera normal. Borre la carpeta que comentas y fue como si no hubiera pasado nada.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:09 PM
  • With the help of Bing Translator, I was able to ascertain that you were thanking me rather than insulting me. ;-) 

You're welcome for the help. :-)

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Thank you RobinDotNet!!  I wish if I would have found this one week back.  :-)

Would have saved a lot of my time.  Thank you mucho!!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Hello,

Why does this error occur unexpectedly on a computer when one day ClickOnce Program run correctly and tomorrow the same ClickOnce Program on the same computer fails to start although no update/change is made to the program?

Regards.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:25 PM
  • I don't know. It means your ClickOnce cache is corrupted. Did the application end unexpectedly, did the machine crash, would the application not stop running and the user klled the process, or the user killed the process because they didn't know what it was, etc.

One thing you can do is install .NET 4 on the computer and turn on enhanced logging and check it when there's a problem. Your application doesn't have to target .NET 4, you just have to have it installed ont he machine -- it contains an update to the ClickOnce engine.

http://robindotnet.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/enhanced-logging-in-clickonce-deployment/

RobinDotNet

Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Excellent !!!

I spent literally hundreds of hours tryng to figure out his error.

Delete that nasty 2.0 folder and bingo, problem go away !!!

Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Where do you find the \apps\2.0\ folder in which directory in windows 7?
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:13 PM
  • C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\

RobinDotNet

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:33 AM
  • I did what was showen but when I clicked on the users tab the username folder was not there what should I do? Should I download that recomened software that you mentioned above?
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Are you using Windows 7 or Windows Vista? There should be a Users folder under C:\. If you are using XP, look under C:\Documents&Settings\...

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Its's windows 7 but I actually I think I found the 2.0 folder is this the right directory  C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/ v2.0. 50727. When I delete it say I have to get permission frm trusted installer. could help me pls on the trusted installer if this is the right folder I should delte off my computer?

Monday, February 28, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Um, no, that's not the right folder, that's the .NET Framework. You said you could not see a Users folder on the C drive, and you're running Windows 7. If you have made all hidden files visible and still don't see it, you have a problem and should ask for help. Check this link for help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help

RobinDotNet

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Never mind I found the apps 2.0 folder i deleted it then when I open up my money adder exe file the 2.0 will ounce again pop up in the local setting since now I am using windows xp So how do i fix this problem?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:50 PM
  • If you are running a ClickOnce application, it installs it under the Apps\2.0 folder under the user's profile. It's not a problem to be fixed, it's by design, so the user doesn't track down the deployment and mess with it.

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks!Robin! It worked!

J

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Thx Robin,

Worked for me too

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:43 AM

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

I guess I'm one of the unlucky few where this solution did not work for me. What else can I try?

Here's my error log below, if it helps:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.17929
     System.Deployment.dll   : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
     clr.dll    : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
     dfdll.dll    : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
     dfshim.dll    : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHub.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHub.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [10/10/2012 2:01:35 PM] : Activation of http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHub.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [10/10/2012 2:01:35 PM] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      - The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Thank you very much 
    You Are Awesome
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:57 AM
  • We have to do this everytime we publish a new version of our Application. It is only our Win-7 users, not our XP Users. Haven't yet figured out if it is the same users everytime.
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:08 PM
  • It does not work for me too.
    Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:03 PM
  • it works dr.

thankz alot

• Proposed as answer by Sajin.AS Sunday, July 06, 2014 7:45 AM
    Sunday, July 06, 2014 7:44 AM
  • thanks its work

Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:51 PM