none
How to enable Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X in a text box?

Question

•  

Hi,

I've already set the ShortcutsEnabled property to true but still cannot use keyboard shortcuts to do "copy", "cut", "paste" ,"select all", "undo" , "redo", etc.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance

ps. i'm using VC#

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

TextBox by default can work with clipboard shortcuts, Ctrl-X for Cut, Ctrl-V for Paste and Ctrl-C for Copy. Alternatively, the control has methods you can use to perform these clipboard operations:

textBox1.Cut();
    textBox1.Copy();
    textBox1.Paste();

As for SelectAll, Undo and Redo, textBox has methods for this operations as well:

textBox1.Undo();
    textBox1.Undo(); // Second Undo will be the Redo operation
    textBox1.SelectAll();

But since TextBox can only Undo the last operation, there is no Redo method; If you need Redo, just invoke Undo for the second time. Also, you can get Undo() method to execute by Ctrl-Z shortcut key.

Hope this help,

-chris
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:21 AM

All replies

• Anybody can help me?
    Monday, May 15, 2006 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

TextBox by default can work with clipboard shortcuts, Ctrl-X for Cut, Ctrl-V for Paste and Ctrl-C for Copy. Alternatively, the control has methods you can use to perform these clipboard operations:

textBox1.Cut();
    textBox1.Copy();
    textBox1.Paste();

As for SelectAll, Undo and Redo, textBox has methods for this operations as well:

textBox1.Undo();
    textBox1.Undo(); // Second Undo will be the Redo operation
    textBox1.SelectAll();

But since TextBox can only Undo the last operation, there is no Redo method; If you need Redo, just invoke Undo for the second time. Also, you can get Undo() method to execute by Ctrl-Z shortcut key.

Hope this help,

-chris
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:21 AM
  • I think what he means is, when he focuses the text box and presses Ctrl+C on the keyboard, nothing happens. Nothing is copied to the clipboard.

Im facing this problem myself now - Copy, Cut and Paste all work, but pressing Ctrl+A to seelct all does NOT, yet if i right click, i can choose SelectAll from the textbox's context menu

In a VB.net program i'm writing, usiong Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+X to cut and Ctrl+V to paste dont work at all in the textbox when the app is running. Why is there a discrepancy? What can be done to get the keys working?

Surely i dont ahve to write an event handler for every text box, just to trap Ctrl+A?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:36 AM
  • Incidentally, I discovered why this was:

The MDI parent form was consuming the keypress events and preventing them reaching the MDI child. preventing the consumption was the clue to having Ctrl combinstions start working on my MDI child once again

Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:25 AM
  • Would you be able to explain in greater detail how you were able to prevent the MDI Parent from consuming the keypress event?  I have the same problem and can not figure out how to fix it.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:16 PM
  • You can solve the problem by overiding ProcessCmdKey in the MDI parent form and using the sendmessage api function to reroute the messages to the active child form:

First declare the SendMessage api function as follows;

Private Declare Auto Function SendMessage Lib "user32" ( ByVal hwnd As IntPtr, ByVal wMsg As Integer, ByVal wParam As IntPtr, ByVal lParam As IntPtr ) As IntPtr

Then overide ProcessCmdKey in the MDI parent:

Protected Overrides Function ProcessCmdKey(ByRef msg As System.Windows.Forms.Message, ByVal keyData As System.Windows.Forms.Keys) As Boolean

SendMessage(Me.ActiveMdiChild.Handle, msg.Msg, msg.WParam, msg.LParam)

'Return MyBase.ProcessCmdKey(msg, keyData)

End Function

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by mag78 Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:26 AM
  • Hi,
     I had tried with the solution provided by you above but it is not solving mine issue. On MDI Child Form, Cut, Copy and Paste is not working. I had written these lines of codes in my MDI Parent. Does we need to write something else to activate the keyboard shortcuts for these functionality.

[DllImport("user32.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto, SetLastError = false)]
            static extern IntPtr SendMessage(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 Msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam);

protected override bool ProcessCmdKey(ref Message message,Keys keydata)
         {
             SendMessage(this.ActiveMdiChild.Handle, message.Msg, message.WParam, message.LParam);
             return base.ProcessCmdKey(ref message, keydata);
         }

Kindly help me in fixing this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
     Nitin

Friday, May 15, 2009 12:50 PM
  • It works perfect! Thank you
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I was having this issue, also. I coded the following (from the above post) into the mdi parent form which worked:

'The following functions are required to solve a problem were the MDI parent form is consuming the keypress events and preventing them reaching the MDI child. The problem is solved by overiding ProcessCmdKey in the MDI parent form and using the sendmessage api function to reroute the messages to the active child form.

Private Declare Auto Function SendMessage Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As IntPtr, ByVal wMsg As Integer, ByVal wParam As IntPtr,
        ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As IntPtr
    Protected Overrides Function ProcessCmdKey(ByRef msg As System.Windows.Forms.Message,
        ByVal keyData As System.Windows.Forms.Keys) As Boolean
        SendMessage(Me.ActiveMdiChild.Handle, msg.Msg, msg.WParam, msg.LParam)
    End Function

The question I really have is why was is the mdi parent form consuming the CONTROL keypress event?
    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Can it be corrected any other way?

Thanks

Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Hii,

Even I am facing the similar kind of problem. My "Control + V" shortcut is not working for pasting any Data in a Text Box.

But itz fine with mouse click and selecting paste.

Will your above code will work for me also.

I will appreciate you if u could produce it in C# format.

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:41 PM
  • I am using Visual Studio 2010 and, while the code processes information, it crashes with the error:

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled

It suggests I need to call an instance with the NEW keyword. I don't understand how that can be done in a function. Any suggestions?

---Mike

---Mike
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:11 PM
  • I remembered from VB4 that the parent could override keystrokes.  I deleted the Ctrl+C reference from the Copy menu Properties on the parent and the text box in the child can copy.

There is problably some code that would My.Computer.Clipboard.SetText(PreviouslyFocusedControl.text)

Just Can't seem to find it.  I would like to centrilize the Cut/Copy/Paste into the

_Click events

Friday, April 01, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Public Class TextBoxEx
        Inherits System.Windows.Forms.TextBox

Protected Overrides Function ProcessCmdKey(ByRef msg As System.Windows.Forms.Message, _
                                                   ByVal keyData As System.Windows.Forms.Keys) As Boolean

If keyData = Keys.Control + Keys.C Then
                Me.Copy()
                Return True
            End If
            If keyData = Keys.Control + Keys.V Then
                Me.Paste()
                Return True
            End If
            If keyData = Keys.Control + Keys.X Then
                Me.Cut()
                Return True
            End If

Return MyBase.ProcessCmdKey(msg, keyData)
        End Function

End Class

Friday, April 01, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Thanks Rulin your code worked perfectly...
    Friday, April 08, 2011 7:08 PM
  • My Solution to this problem is create the manu strip with Control + A short cut  Select All

Private Sub SelectAllToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles SelectAllToolStripMenuItem.Click
            Dim C As System.Windows.Forms.Control = Me.ActiveControl
            If Strings.Left(C.Name, 3).ToString.ToUpper = "DGV" Then
                Dim CopyDGV As DataGridView = Me.Controls.Find(C.Name, True).First
                CopyDGV.SelectAll()
            ElseIf Strings.Left(C.Name, 3).ToString.ToUpper = "TXT" Then
                Dim CopyTXT As System.Windows.Forms.TextBox = Me.Controls.Find(C.Name, True).First
                CopyTXT.SelectAll()
            End If

End Sub

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Would you be able to explain in greater detail how you were able to prevent the MDI Parent from consuming the keypress event?  I have the same problem and can not figure out how to fix it.

Thanks.

I had a similar issue. Turns out the Edit menu autogenerated on the MDIForm was consuming the ctrl v and c events.

When I removed the ShortCutKeys on the menuitem, or disabled the menuitem, the child forms all started working correctly.

HTH

Friday, May 04, 2012 11:02 AM
  • When creating a MDIparent form in VB.net, it automatically creates a menu strip named MenuStrip, you will see menu items like File, Edit, View and so on.

In the Edit menu there are items such as Copy , Paste, Cut with shortcut keys linked to them, the shortcuts linked to them absorb the ctrl+C,ctrl+X,ctrl+V... events and do nothing with it

I just deleted them out of the menu in design time and when they are gone, there are nothing to absorb the short cut key events.

I do that since, I generally never use the menu's Copy , Paste, Cut

If you don't want to delete the menu items then you can just click on it and in the Property Window you clear the ShortcutKey entry since there will be entries like Ctrl + C, Ctrl + X, Ctrl + V that must be removed

I hope it helps

• Edited by Marius Dumas Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Marius Dumas  the problem was exact as you described and your solution is working perfectly.

Very Thanks

Sunday, October 07, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Hi Rulin,

i like your code, simple and working good. But i have problem how to use your code correctly?

1. Where i must put your code correctly if i have mdiparent form and child form? (i put your code inside new class (add items-vb class))

2.  The code working properly (cut, copy, paste) working properly only for form without use new form code, example:

form1.show() <--- cut, copy, paste running well and no problem

form1.showdialog() <--- cut, copy, paste running well and no problem

BUT, If i write:

dim form1 as new form1
    frmPeserta.MdiParent = Me
    frmPeserta.Show()

(Cut, Copy, Paste NOT Working)

OR

frmPeserta.MdiParent = Me
    frmPeserta.Show()

(Cut, Copy, Paste NOT Working)

I hope you can help me how to use your code in MDIChild Form. Many thanks for your respond. i will appreciated.

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Genius!! that's works for me.

Marco

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:03 PM
  • hey u have Mdi with menustrip  and in that u have menustrip item edit and in that you have copy,past,cut etc ToolStripMenuItems,those copy ,past etc items has given shortcut keys ctrl + c,ctlr + v and all .so when u press those keys that ToolStripMenuItems gets trigger instead of copy, paste from windows clipboard ......... just remove those shortcuts from those ToolStripMenuItems and u will be able to copy, paste 

• Proposed as answer by kboy waghela Friday, March 21, 2014 7:17 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 7:15 AM
  • I just wondered why it does not work after setting the mdiparent proprety. Now it is clear to me.

Thanks Marius Dumas

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 3:16 PM