none
Installation package could not be opened

Question

• Hi every one....

I am having a problem in install the .exe file using C#.

I created a setup project for IE Toolbar application by VS2008 using C#. When i click the mySetup.msi its installed successfully in the computer. i copied the mySetup.msi into another computer and try install it,its successfully installed.

My problem is:

I uploaded mySetup.msi & MySetup.exe into the application1 folder in my webserver. Then i click MySetup.exe to install it, it produce the following pop error :

"This installation package could not be opened.Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"

can anyone have a idea what i have been doing wrong with my installer ? or i had mistake in my upload or download process?

thanks in advance.

rgds,
    Nagarajan Govindarajan
    • Edited by Nagarajan Govindarajan Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:28 AM Updated
    • Moved by Harry Zhu Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:51 AM relating to setup (From:Visual C# General)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:39 AM

Answers

• If I understand what you're doing, then:

When you run that setup.exe from the web server it's not running on the web server - it's downloaded to a temp folder on your machine and it runs on your machine.  How is that setup.exe supposed to know where that MSI file is? It has no idea that the MSI file is up on some web server somewhere.

The way people make these work is zip up the exe and the msi into one self-extracting executable with a WinZip type of tool, and that exe downloads, runs on your computer, extracts the setup.exe and the msi file into the same directory, runs setup.exe and then that runs your msi file.

However it's not clear to me why you have setup.exe. It can't possibly install any prerequisites, because they'd be up on the web site too and it won't know anything about downloading them to get them installed, so you probably just need a way to download your MSI file and install it.
    Phil Wilson
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:45 PM

All replies

• If I understand what you're doing, then:

When you run that setup.exe from the web server it's not running on the web server - it's downloaded to a temp folder on your machine and it runs on your machine.  How is that setup.exe supposed to know where that MSI file is? It has no idea that the MSI file is up on some web server somewhere.

The way people make these work is zip up the exe and the msi into one self-extracting executable with a WinZip type of tool, and that exe downloads, runs on your computer, extracts the setup.exe and the msi file into the same directory, runs setup.exe and then that runs your msi file.

However it's not clear to me why you have setup.exe. It can't possibly install any prerequisites, because they'd be up on the web site too and it won't know anything about downloading them to get them installed, so you probably just need a way to download your MSI file and install it.
    Phil Wilson
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Thanks for your respons...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Thanks for the respons...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:13 AM