none
VS2010 MSI package does not generate a config.xml file

Question

• Hi,

We have created a setup project for our application using VS2010. However our customer complaints, that there is no Config.xml file supplied along with the MSI package.

According to them, the config.xml file must be there if you want to deploy the application remotely. Moreover our application does not appear in the users Add/remove programs, which it should.

Can anyone help me?

Regards

• Moved by Larcolais Gong Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:56 AM (From:Visual C# General)
    Monday, May 30, 2011 11:25 AM

All replies

• I suggest you to visit the Setup & Deployment Projects forum

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, May 30, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Did you add the config.xml file to your setup project? Also, is it generated in your application project output folder? Can you please give us more details about how you configured your installer?
    Cosmin Pirvu
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:15 AM
  • What project is in the msi package?

And what is this config.xml? How do you generate this xml file in your project, and what contents in? What usage does this xml file is?

--> the config.xml file must be there if you want to deploy the application remotely

What does this mean? Does this xml file has the special usage for deployment?

And what do you mean "the config.xml file must be there", at the same folder with the setup.msi file, or should go with the project in the msi package?

Please let us clear about the scenes and more information, so that we can know how to help you, or if this is the suitable forum for you asking for help.

--> Moreover our application does not appear in the users Add/remove programs, which it should

msiexec /i "C:\my stuff\package.msi" /l* "d:\place for logs\package.log"

Use the similar command to capture the installation log. And upload it to the "sky driver", then share the download link to us in your post.

Please also attach your whole visual studio solution and the setup project/files.

It is important for us to research this issue in our local side, otherwise it will be hard to look into it.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Hi Anders Fredborg,
    I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?
    Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 03, 2011 5:19 AM