none
Installer for all users?

Question

•  

Hello erveryone,

I have created a setup-project (installer) for a c# application and its related configiration files. These configuration files save the settings of this application and a hardware device, and they can be read/written by this application under ANY user account in a multi-user system. So I think maybe it is a way to do it by installing its config. files into a shared folder as "C:\Documents and SettingsAll Users" ( or by sharing the installation target folder to all users directly?)

But I could not find any settings of setup-project to getting the path for "All Users", and here the special folders for User's*** are only for the currrent user.

Could someone tell me how to get this "All User" path in the setup-project or how to solve this kind of multi-user problems with setup-project for Windows system (every user can access the same files)?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Le

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:38 AM

Answers

• If you use Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 that is easy. Click the setup project in solution explorer and then go to properties window. There is a property InstallAllUsers which by default is false and change it to true. You probably will like to change other setup project properties like Author, Manufacturer, Upgrade Code, Version, and others.

If you have setup in Visual studio 2003, then it becomes a litle harder. In that case you need to find Orca tool which you need to use after you create the msi, open it with Orca and set the property FolderForm_AllUsers="ALL". You will also use Orca for other features like to set OldProductCode value which you will need to add because don't exists by default.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:01 AM

All replies

• If you use Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 that is easy. Click the setup project in solution explorer and then go to properties window. There is a property InstallAllUsers which by default is false and change it to true. You probably will like to change other setup project properties like Author, Manufacturer, Upgrade Code, Version, and others.

If you have setup in Visual studio 2003, then it becomes a litle harder. In that case you need to find Orca tool which you need to use after you create the msi, open it with Orca and set the property FolderForm_AllUsers="ALL". You will also use Orca for other features like to set OldProductCode value which you will need to add because don't exists by default.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:01 AM
  •  boban.s wrote:

If you use Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 that is easy. Click the setup project in solution explorer and then go to properties window. There is a property InstallAllUsers which by default is false and change it to true. You probably will like to change other setup project properties like Author, Manufacturer, Upgrade Code, Version, and others.

Thank you very much for your tip! I tried it, but it didn't solve this problem. I am using VS2005, and I have set the property InstallAllUsers of this setup-project to true. Under the limited user accounts I can read the config files but I don't have rights to change them.

The config. files are inserted into the application folder (default C:\Programs\...) of setup project whhere our application will be installed. But the folder "C:\Programs\" is always locked for non-admin user. Because we only want to keep one copy of the config files on a PC, I can't install them to the current user profile either.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:41 AM