none
Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture

Question

• I just converted my windows forms solution from vs 2003 to 2005 and fixed all the compile errors.  I'm running into the following error when trying to display an inherited form.  The base form in this case is "Retirement.Shared.UI.Forms.BaseNavForm" and it resides in another assembly.  This solution worked fine under VS 2003. The error also occurs when displaying the designer for the inheriting form.

Does anyone have any suggestions to research/correct this issue?

Thanks in advance
    Pyush
    ----------------------------
    Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Make sure "Retirement.Shared.UI.Forms.BaseNavForm.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "Retirement.Shared.Ui.Application" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
    Hide    

at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
    at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
    at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
    at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name)
    at Retirement.Shared.UI.Forms.BaseNavForm.InitializeComponent() in D:\DevEx3_Oct062005\Retirement\Shared\v1.x\UI\Application\BaseNavForm.Designer.vb:line 238
    at Retirement.Shared.UI.Forms.BaseNavForm..ctor() in D:\DevEx3_Oct062005\Retirement\Shared\v1.x\UI\Application\BaseNavForm.vb:line 45

Friday, October 14, 2005 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is the solution for your problems...........Right click on your application - > properties

In properties go to Application Tab. Here in applicatin tab verify your assembly name and Default namespace.

You need to change them appropriately in order to eliminate this error.

Let me know if you have more issues

Thanks

santosh

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:02 PM
  • I got this error on VS 2005 too. In my view, it could be a visual studio's bug.

The problem is when you try to declare a class, enum or anything else before you declare the form class then it generates runtime error because the resource manifest point to an incorrect location. It shouldn't be like that.
    For instance
    namespace Test
    {
        public class ***
        {
              int  crap_id;
        }

public class frmTest
        {
        }
    }

then you would get exception on runtime. To avoid that, just move the *** after main form class, like this

namespace Test
    {
        public class frmTest
        {
        }

public class ***
        {
              int  crap_id;
        }
    }

done!
    hope this help,
    tvietnhat
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:14 AM

All replies

• I got this error on VS 2005 too. In my view, it could be a visual studio's bug.

The problem is when you try to declare a class, enum or anything else before you declare the form class then it generates runtime error because the resource manifest point to an incorrect location. It shouldn't be like that.
    For instance
    namespace Test
    {
        public class ***
        {
              int  crap_id;
        }

public class frmTest
        {
        }
    }

then you would get exception on runtime. To avoid that, just move the *** after main form class, like this

namespace Test
    {
        public class frmTest
        {
        }

public class ***
        {
              int  crap_id;
        }
    }

done!
    hope this help,
    tvietnhat
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:14 AM
  • The previous poster is correct, the problem is documented in this KB article.
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:37 PM
  • HI !

I got this problem a little different.

My instantiation of the new ResourceManager works fine.

I get this exception when i try to receive a string of the Resource by :

myStringResources.GetString("stringName", myCurCultureInfo)

Please halp me on this !!!

Friday, June 15, 2007 2:28 PM
  •  

Hey mrsmithsp1,

i am getting same error as yours.. Did you find solution?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Anybody resoled the issue.

I am having the same problem while retrieving the resouce value from resource manager.

Any help will be apprecisted.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Hi,

Here is the solution for your problems...........Right click on your application - > properties

In properties go to Application Tab. Here in applicatin tab verify your assembly name and Default namespace.

You need to change them appropriately in order to eliminate this error.

Let me know if you have more issues

Thanks

santosh

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:02 PM
  •  

Hi,

The dll name and the namespace name seems to be correct ,but still the error doesnt go...

reply asap.

Thanks,

Parag

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:44 AM
  •  mrsmithsp1 wrote:

HI !

I got this problem a little different.

My instantiation of the new ResourceManager works fine.

I get this exception when i try to receive a string of the Resource by :

myStringResources.GetString("stringName", myCurCultureInfo)

Please halp me on this !!!

Hi mrsmithsp1,

I have experienced a similar problem and was able to work around it.  If you are importing a resource file from one App1 to App2, you will experience this issue.   This appears to be namespace issue that is part of the auto generated code when a resource is created.  The "culture" error message was confusing to me.

Work Around:   Try recreating the resource inside your new application.

Fix(unknown):  I have not tested a fix for this issue yet but try doing a search for "change namespace of resource file"  I have seen some useful looking solutions but all in slightly different approaches.  I will update if I find a solution but hopefully this points you in the right direction.

• Proposed as answer by Dave Burt Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 3:49 PM
  •  

1. Find the file [...].Designer.cs attached to your resource file.

2. Open that file and find the example on what parameters the ResourceManager should be instatiated with in your case.

3. Go to your code and use the same namespace.

It solved my problem!

• Proposed as answer by svetoslav80 Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:59 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:01 AM
  • I have the same problem:

Error:

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "Forms1.OSForm.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "Forms" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed."

At code:

namespace Forms1 {

public ref class OSForm : public System::Windows::Forms::Form

{

void InitializeComponent(void)

{

this->pictureBox1->Image = (cli::safe_cast<System::Drawing::Image^ >(resources->GetObject(L"pictureBox1.Image")));

}

};

}

OSForm.resx in Properties have Resource File Name = $(IntDir)/Forms1.OSForm.resources

What is problem?

Friday, January 23, 2009 2:18 PM
  • This error will also occur when the path specified for the .resx or .resources file is wrong.  Check that the path to the file(s) is correct.

• Proposed as answer by Ishteyak ahmad Friday, November 06, 2009 10:29 AM
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Santosh5 very thanks.
    İt's solved my problem :)
    • Proposed as answer by mjjanis Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:59 AM
  • In my case I had a public class declared in front of my main form's public class

Public Class clsThis

End Class

Public

Class frmMain

Once I moved it to a Module it compiled fine.

• Proposed as answer by mjjanis Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:46 PM
    Friday, April 02, 2010 7:18 PM
  • I got the same error when I was moving .VB files from one project to another.  I included them into the new project by selecting all the .VB files. 

I later discovered that I needed to excluded each .VB file and included it again, this time only one file at a time.

That fixed the issue.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hi all,

I need a help that I used the Visual C# 2010 Express . When I  created a resource file, there is an error

Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure \"fresource.resources\" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly \"WindowsFormsApplication1\" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.

I already put it under the Properties but still facing that one. I don't know how should I do? please help me.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Hi guys,

I had the same problem. I am using Visual Studio 2008 and my project is in Visual C++.

In my case the Resource File Name property was correct and what I did was edit manually my *.vcproj ( Visual Studio .NET Visual C Project). In that file I notice that all the forms that was working had the XML structure below:

<File

RelativePath=".\Form.h"

FileType="3"

>

<File

RelativePath=".\Form.resx"

SubType="Designer"

>

</File>

</File>

But the form that throw the exception System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException hadn't the line SubType="Designer".

What I did was insert this line manually to the form. I tried compile but the mistake happened again. I cleaned the Solution and closed the VS. When I opened the VS and compiled the project everything worked fine.

Eduardo Miranda
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:05 AM
  • Anybody has resolved the issue? i also run into the issue. Damn!
    Monday, June 07, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Just delete the .resx file then move any controls on that control/form then it will automatically generates another .resx file which is updated in your current version.

Hope this would help :)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:36 AM
  • I faced a simmilar issue, but my problem was a bit different.

Basically my appliation processes image files. There are 2 ways to start my application.

I) User double clicked the exe then open the image file.

2) User selected a image file and then double clicked it which openend the image file in my app.

The second option was added yesterday only and it was giving the error Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  I had a hard time debugging my appliation to know exact reason, i came across this post and above mentioned solutions did not worked for me. After drilling for half a day, i finally figured it out.

I was using Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() for certain code. When i double clicked the exe the Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() method returned the path where image file was located. When  resource manager's getstring method was called, it was looking for resources in the image path directory. so i got the above mentioned exception

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Would try this solution

Right Click your project select properties

Click publish - application files - show all files

find your resources file dll and selecet that publish Status  Include

click ok and save publish settings

Hope  would help

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Just found my problem.

The project that was reporting the erro ahd the wronf resource file reference.

This is what I did:

- look at the properties for the project

- click the resources tab.

On mine it said that I had no resource file when one did actually exsist

- so I created a new one from the link on the resources tab

- copied the string resource elements from one resource file to the other

-deleted the old resource fiel

Hope it helps also!!!!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Thanks a lot ... your tip helped a lot
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:31 AM
  • I faced the same problem. I had to comment out the following lines in AssemblyInfo.cs in order to get it fixed. Otherwiese the system is looking for a Themes/Generic.xaml file which doesn't exist in my case...

//[assembly: ThemeInfo(
    //  ResourceDictionaryLocation.None, //where theme specific resource dictionaries are located
    //  //(used if a resource is not found in the page, 
    //  // or application resource dictionaries)
    //  ResourceDictionaryLocation.SourceAssembly //where the generic resource dictionary is located
    //  //(used if a resource is not found in the page, 
    //  // app, or any theme specific resource dictionaries)
    //)]

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:50 AM
  • "Microsoft -- Adding unnecessary complexity to your work since 1987!"
    • Proposed as answer by sushil.soni Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:01 PM
  • You are right - Microsoft has tendency to do such things since long time back.

I copy-pasted one project and saved with another name and the thousands of errors appeared.

After wasting 2 hrs today on doing all this, I came to conclusion that remove all files from

Project/obj/debug folder. 

IT SOLVED MY PROBLEM.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:52 AM