none
ClickOnce doesn't work on some machines

Question

• I have a dozen apps that I deploy to ~25-100 users.  All of the apps install and run fine with click once, except on two computers.  Clickonce will download and install the application, but when it goes to run the program, there is just a flash on the screen and the program doesn't run.  Both machines are running XP Pro, have framework 2.0 installed and I can't find any differences between them and the rest of the machines.

Is there some other prerequisite that I'm not aware of?  There are no error messages and I'm completely in the dark on this one.

Jim

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:08 PM

Answers

• Well, I am in the same boat, I ran into this problem a lot. I still have one client with this problem. But most the clients I resolved the problem by adding the web site as the trusted site.

In one particular situation, the client added the site as the trusted site but still didn't work later I found out that the user policy doesn't really allow the user to add the site as the trusted site. Even though when he added the site, it will show up but when you close the panel, OS revert back the trusted site to original policy. Any at that instance we asked the admin to add the site as the trusted site and it resolved it.

One thing you can check is to give the client an offline version of the install application and ask them to install and see if they are able to install it. In that case either the Firewall might be blocking .application extension off.

As I said before I still have one client where his desktop the install is not working on the laptop is working. I am still trying find out what could be the problem

It will be nice if MS could put a list of possible reasons .application might not run at a PC. We have to learn these hard way.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:13 PM

All replies

• have you checked in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer if there are any strange errors?
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:43 PM
  • No errors whatsoever.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Well, I am in the same boat, I ran into this problem a lot. I still have one client with this problem. But most the clients I resolved the problem by adding the web site as the trusted site.

In one particular situation, the client added the site as the trusted site but still didn't work later I found out that the user policy doesn't really allow the user to add the site as the trusted site. Even though when he added the site, it will show up but when you close the panel, OS revert back the trusted site to original policy. Any at that instance we asked the admin to add the site as the trusted site and it resolved it.

One thing you can check is to give the client an offline version of the install application and ask them to install and see if they are able to install it. In that case either the Firewall might be blocking .application extension off.

As I said before I still have one client where his desktop the install is not working on the laptop is working. I am still trying find out what could be the problem

It will be nice if MS could put a list of possible reasons .application might not run at a PC. We have to learn these hard way.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:13 PM