none
Problem loading Excel2003.xls app on windows7 workstation that was deployed with Click Once from winXP workstation

Question

• I created an Excel2003.xls app on a winXP (sp3) workstation and have been deploying with Click Once to our network for years, and everything was working fine -- everyone on winXP (sp3) workstations.  Now we are upgrading to windows7 workstations.  I keep getting the message that Excel Stopped working on the win7 workstation when I try to load the .xls app from the deployment webpage -- win7 workstations has Excel 2010 (office 2010) loaded on the win7 workstation.  I have also been deploying MS Access 2003 mdb apps with Click Once.  The 2003 mdbs are loading/working on the win7 workstation when deployed with Click Once.  \

On with win7 Excel (2010) I lowered all the trust/security features to the lowest levels and still get the message the Excel stopped working -- when I try to load the app from the deployment webpage.  Note:  I emailed the same Excel2003.xls file to the win7 workstation, and it ran fine from Excel 2010.  I then created a very simple .xls app that did not contain any macros -- just a little bit of text that said "test".  I deployed that from the winXP workstation with Click Once.  When I tried to load this basic .xls app on the win7 workstation -- I received the same message that Excel (2010) stopped working. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated if there is a fix for this problem or if this a bug that has not be resolved yet.

Thanks.

Rich P

• Edited by Rich P123 Monday, July 23, 2012 9:15 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Rich,

I think this error occur because you pass the incorrect file path.

First, please make sure the file publish status is include, Download Group is required and hash is include in the Application Files( properties windows-> publish).

Second, the patch passed is incorrect, please try the code below.

class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Process p = new Process();
                p.StartInfo.FileName = "TestEOM2008.xls";
                p.Start();
             }
         }

In addition, the clickonce application is installed in the [user profile folder]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\[Folder]\[Folder].

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi RichP,

Is this an Excel 2003 add-in? AFAIK, you can not deploy Office 2003 applications with ClickOnce deployment (including Access), so can you clarify how you are publishing it? ClickOnce deployment is the Publish tab in Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010/2012, and only works for Office 2007, Office 2010, Office 2013 add-ins and smart client applications such as Windows Forms or WPF.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:04 AM
  • you can not deploy Office 2003 applications with ClickOnce deployment (including Access

This statement is incorrect.  I have been deploying .xls, .mdb, .txt, .pdf and other files using Click Once for years (from winXP to other winXP workstations).

The Excel2003.xls file is just a plain .xls file -- no addins.  I simply add/attach it (the respective external file) to the list of project items, like when you add pictures to a project and then in the item property I select content/copy always.  I have been deploying all sorts of files this way for years through the winXP system.    This deployment tenchnique is also working for deploying the Access mdbs through Click Once and then loading onto the win7 workstation.  It is only the Excel .xls file that isn't loading on the win7 workstation when deployed through Click Once. 

I can't believe that I am the sole person to ever deploy an attached file (under winXP) using Click Once.   So my question now is if I have sinned by using a forbidden feature with Click Once by deploying said files or is it a normal feature of Click Once to be able to deploy files like .xls, .mdb, txt, ...  as attached project items? 

So I just attach a file to the project, change the properties of the item (the .xls or .mdb, .txt ...) to content/copy always and here is the code I use (C#) in the .Net project to deploy the file:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Deployment.Application;  //--I added these following libraries
    using System.Reflection;  //--  "
    using System.Diagnostics;  //-- "

namespace TestEOM2008
    {
        class Program
        {
            {
                p.StartInfo.FileName = "./TestEOM2008.xls";
                p.Start();
             }
         }
    }

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How can I get the .xls file to deploy so I can load it on the win7 machine?

Rich P

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hi Rich,

I think this error occur because you pass the incorrect file path.

First, please make sure the file publish status is include, Download Group is required and hash is include in the Application Files( properties windows-> publish).

Second, the patch passed is incorrect, please try the code below.

class Program
        {
            {
                p.Start();
             }
         }

In addition, the clickonce application is installed in the [user profile folder]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\[Folder]\[Folder].

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:21 AM
  •  class Program
        {
            {
                p.Start();
             }
         }

Thank you -- yes, that was the fix!   I had to remove the   ./  part.  Now it all works!  Thank you again!

Rich P

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi RichP,

Just to clarify my answer, I thought you were deployment an Excel spreadsheet with a document-level VSTO add-in, or an application-level Excel VSTO add-in. There is no reason you can't include an Excel worksheet in a ClickOnce deployment.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:58 AM