none
Unselect item from a listbox

General discussion

• When data is retrieved from my database and placed in a listbox, the first item is always selected. However, I do not want that behavior. How do you programatically unselect items in a listbox?

I know how to do it using a webform listbox, but the windowsform listbox does not work the same way.

Thanks,

Bill.. 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:50 AM

All replies

• Set the SelectedIndex property to -1. That should do it! There may be a "cleaner" way (that is, less non-intuitive) but this works. 
    Thursday, April 17, 2003 11:54 AM
  • You can also ClearSelected() -- this isn't really easy to find, though.  I'll put in a bug for the next version to try to get something a little more intuitive (maybe SelectedItems/SelectedIndices.Clear).
    Friday, April 18, 2003 6:43 PM
  • Well, duh. I was thinking the VB6 way, and didnt' even make the effort to look for a "correct" method. I feel stoopid. <g>
    Monday, April 21, 2003 9:08 AM
  • I even tried the ClearSelected() method and still did not work........

I don't know why it's so hard to programaticlly unselect items from a listbox. Clearly, all the methods I've tried do not clear the selected items. I'm wondering if there is a bug with this functionality in .Net............... 

fyi, I have a dataset bound to the listbox with a valuemember & display member column.

Bill...........
    Monday, April 21, 2003 10:17 AM
  • Well, you're right. Just tried it and it plain doesn't work. Either way. That's not good. I'm not seeing an easy solution. Love to find one! 

Friday, April 25, 2003 11:48 AM
  • did you try...

MyListBox.SelectedItem = Nothing
    Friday, April 25, 2003 2:32 PM
  • Clever, but no. It works until you select something. Then, setting the SelectedItem to nothing does exactly what the other techniques do -- it sets the selection back to the 0th item.
    Friday, April 25, 2003 3:04 PM
  • found this interesting answer at th bottom of this thread over at GotDotNet

<a href="http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/MessageBoard/Thread.aspx?id=92055">ComboBox SelectedIndex Problem? Help Please!!!</a>
    Friday, April 25, 2003 4:56 PM
  • Well, yes, interesting hacks. Should it be this difficult? 

BTW, your solution (and my original one, along with the ClearSelection method--that is, all the techniques) work if you're just filling in the list manually. It's when you bind to a data source that nothing works. 
    Friday, April 25, 2003 9:39 PM
  • Well, if you're interested in a slimy hack, I have one that appears to work.  It involves subclassing the listbox:

Public Class MyListBoxSubClasser
        Inherits NativeWindow

Private Const LB_SETCURSEL As Integer = &H186

Public Sub New(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr)
            MyBase.AssignHandle(hWnd)
        End Sub

Public Sub Dispose()
            MyBase.ReleaseHandle()
        End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)
            If m.Msg = LB_SETCURSEL Then
                m.WParam = IntPtr.op_Explicit(-1)
            End If
            MyBase.WndProc(m)
        End Sub
    End Class

Then, when you are assigning your datasource to the listbox:

Dim ml As New MyListBoxSubClasser(ListBox1.Handle)

Ensure, though, that you call dispose on the object above when you are done with it.  I played around with this for about 20 minutes and the only instance that the LB_SETCURSEL message seemed to be coming through was when the datasource was being set...  Programmatic or User initiated selection did not result in this message.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.
    Monday, April 28, 2003 11:56 AM