none
Steam, Runtime error

Question

• ---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    ---------------------------
    Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK   
    Can anyone explain this to me and maybe give me a solution please
    Thanks
    Ken
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:30 PM

Answers

• I don't know what else to say. Steam are the one's that should be resolving this issue for you, making you do the runaround is the most appalling service, but frankly nothing surprises me when it comes to that lot. I'm afraid to say that your only hope is to keep asking Steam to resolve the problem. I know how futile that can be, but they are really the only ones who can help you. I personally think that KB number they gave you is a serious runaround, it sorts our a problem with Roxio, not Steam.

Friday, February 16, 2007 8:24 PM

All replies

• These forums are for Microsoft developers to assist each other. For Steam issues, can I suggest you go to Steam's support pages at http://support.steampowered.com/

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 8:42 PM
  • I have already tryed contacting steam and they are of no help.
    please if you could just help me.
    Thank you
    ken
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 8:52 PM
  • I'm sorry, but I have no idea, I'm afraid to say that only Steam will be able to help you. That error message means very little without access to the source code, and only Steam has that.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:01 PM
  • i heard somewhere that what i need is a hotfix.
    some kb884538.
    ive looked everywhere and nothing.
    Ken
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:09 PM
  • To get hotfixes you will need to contact Microsoft support.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:55 AM
  • yea i no but dey just sent me to dis discussion group.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 5:19 PM
  • I don't know what else to say. Steam are the one's that should be resolving this issue for you, making you do the runaround is the most appalling service, but frankly nothing surprises me when it comes to that lot. I'm afraid to say that your only hope is to keep asking Steam to resolve the problem. I know how futile that can be, but they are really the only ones who can help you. I personally think that KB number they gave you is a serious runaround, it sorts our a problem with Roxio, not Steam.

Friday, February 16, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Are you serious about that being for roxio.
    Typical. they actually are the biggest fools. Newell has something big that could change gaming forever but he can't fix these simple errors.
    Well i'll just have to persist.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ken
    Friday, February 16, 2007 8:42 PM
  • By the way I saw your site and your wall o tools.
    WELL SAID.
    Ken
    Friday, February 16, 2007 8:52 PM
  • Thanks

Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:44 AM
  • I was just wondering would roxio be my problem as i have it.
    Could that be it.
    Ken
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I seriously doubt it. From what I could see of that KB article, it would apply if you were getting the error you are getting with Roxio. You're not, you're getting it with Steam, so it's likely it's just a problem with Steam. The error is surprisingly common in cases where te development has been lacksadaisacal or incompetant. In Roxio's case the fault happens, for once, to lie lie with Microsoft, not Roxio. In Steam's case, I would submit that any such hope on their part is not backed up by the evidence. Too often Steam has been shown to be insecure and inefficient. It would not be too much of a leap to call it buggy in addition.

Trust me,the chances are virtually guaanteed that the problem resides enirely with Steam. By sending you to a forum like this they are literally giving you the runaround, since this is most definately not the place to come even if it were Microsoft's fault.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Alright, thanks anyway for your help.
    See ya round.
    Ken
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:06 PM

• Hi,
    This issue is resolved by changing permissions of the valve registry keys to full access

Link:
    http://fortuente.com/2007/10/solved-steam-and-the-visual-c-runtime-error/

Thanks,
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:22 AM