none
Failed to sign

Question

•  

when i am deploying a C# application i reverive the following known message:

Error 37 SignTool reported an error 'Failed to sign bin\Release\eWerd Tagarob.publish\\setup.exe. SignTool Error: ISignedCode:Tongue Tiedign returned error: 0x80880253

The signer's certificate is not valid for signing.

SignTool Error: An error occurred while attempting to sign: bin\Release\eWerd Tagarob.publish\\setup.exe

'. eWerd Tagarob

Some one mentioned some solution here : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925521

But i do not he part:

After the solution is built, excute the following command to update the certificate:
    renewcert <OldCertificate>.pfx <NewCertificate>.pfx \"CN=<NewCertificateName>\" <Password>
    What is actually meant by : EXECUTE, i.e. where can i execute actually? 
    Does he meen in the c++ application or in the cmd prompt for example ?
    Please supply me with  complete TESTED solution asap.
    Thx

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi, omar.salama,

Based on my understanding, you cannot sign with the certificate you have, don't you?

The solution in that link is for expired certificates of ClickOnce.

And you are trying method 2.

To do that, you should create a C++ project in Visual Studio 2005, copy and post the codes, then compile a renewcert.exe.

After that, in the command window.(Start->Run->"cmd")

Type: renewcert <OldCertificate>.pfx <NewCertificate>.pfx \"CN=<NewCertificateName>\" <Password>

The renewcert is the result of the C++ project, and you should run it in cmd prompt.

However, in my point of view, if this certificate is not bought from some vendor.

You can just go to the Signing Tab(right click your project and choose "Properties")

and create a new Test Certificate.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:29 AM