none
Anyone been able to use the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator to get AccessDatabaseEngine.exe included as a prerequisite of a setup and deployment project?

Question

• I am trying to get the Access Database Engine Runtime installed a computer with my application.  I am doing this to get the ODBC Driver for an Access 2010 database installed on the machine.  While I was able to find and download the file AccessDatabaseEngine.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255, I am not able to get it to show up as a prerequisite that I can choose in my setup and deployment project. 

From reading other post, I have figured out that I need to use the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator to create all of the files that make up a bootstrapper package and then put that set of files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages where Visual Studio will hopefully be able to use it. 

The problem is that the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator generates all kinds of null exception and object not set errors and have no way to resolve them.  Has anyone been able to create a bootstrapper package for the Access 2010 Database Runtime engine (32-bit)?

Thank You!

Andy

Thank You! - Andy

Friday, October 05, 2012 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• You just need to use the common steps provided: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/winformssetup/thread/159baab4-6b46-4241-806f-d5e0a037d174

And I think we can just don't care about any error it shows, base on my experience the output can work though there're exceptions when we use that tool. 

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by apelkey Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hi Mike.

Thank you for the reply.  I have followed your instructions and it worked. 

This bootstrap manifest generator is such and important tool that I wonder why Microsoft has relegated it to the archives.  As a software developer, I don't have to create such packages very often (no more than once per year when I refresh my install program) so the details get lost easily. 

Thanks again!

Andy

Thank You! - Andy

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:38 PM
  • You're welcome.

Have a good day!

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:45 AM
  • After testing my installation package, I have found a problem which I am not certain how to fix.  When you create a bootstrapper program, I need to tell it how to handle the return codes from the .exe being installed (in this case, it is the AccessDatabaseEngine.exe).  The problem is I don't know what those return codes are.  I worked around the problem temporarily by checking the box on the exit codes tab that says 'Use Default System Exit Codes' and then choosing 'success' as the result.  But that probably isn't correct because that means it will always return success, even if AccessDatabaseEngine.exe fails.  The problem is I cannot found any documentation on what the exit codes might be.

In addition, when AccessDatabaseEngine.exe finished (successfully), it displays a message stating it was successful.  I reviewed the instructions found on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10910 but it doesn't say if I can pass this install program a parameter to suppress this success message at the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy

Thank You! - Andy

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:12 PM
  • I've just done it today. I searched so many website for it but failed. But I've already created a package for Prerequisites. You can get it on the following link itsyntax[dot]BlogSpot[dot]com/2013/11/access-database-engine-bootstrapper-for.html
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 1:01 PM