none
Windows Setup project

Question

• Hi.

I have a project in visual studio 2008 (C#). It is composed by a set of Office addins, a set of services (WCF), a set of console applications and one interface in WPF.

Now I am trying to make an installer for the whole system. I use WCF to have communication between processes. For example my addin in Office extracts the content of opened docuements and send it to a WCF service that is responsible to clean the text and convert to a generic format and then this service sends to other service that stores information into a database.

I tried to make a installer for the whole system but it didn't work. For office addins I just follow a tutorial here: (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cristib/archive/2010/11/01/deploying-a-vsto-word-2007-add-in-to-all-users-visual-studio-2008-sp1.aspx ). For WCF services I host each one in a different windows service and added it as project output in my setup project (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332338.aspx ).

The problem is that I might be doing something wrong but I don´t know how to figure out what it is. I really need help.

Now I have tried to have separated setups. One for the services, one for the Office and one for the WPF project and console applications.

When I install my Office addins, when I go to options, addins and COM addins I checked that my addin is not loaded and a runtime error occured during the loading of the com addin.

And my services when I go to Services -> and start my service I receive an alert saying that my service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other programs.

This service receives information from office addins. So they should work when they receive a message from word,excel or powerpoint addin. 

Please help me I really don´t know what to do.

Booleana
    • Moved by Andrew.Wu Monday, October 03, 2011 6:58 AM (From:.NET Framework Setup)
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi!

Thank you all for your help.

I just discovered my problem. I installed the 2007 office interop assemblies but they didn't appear in my prerequisites menu.

So I guess that if it didn't appear it was because it was already included or something and I just went forward... (dummy :s)

But I find a very useful tutorial here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc563937(v=office.12).aspx 

and It succeed. I added launch conditions too. I just did everything and it worked :)

My doubt wasn't whether I would install in the current user or other local users because in the setup we are allowed to choose. Instead, I was worried in installing the addin in other computers. 

Thank you all for your attention!

Booleana
    Monday, October 03, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• Sorry, Booleana, but this .NET Framework Setup forum is not the right place to get best service for your application deployment question.

Please try here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/threads

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Booleana,

I'm going to help move your post to the ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects Forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 03, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Use the Shared Add-in template to create the office add-in project with a Visual Studio Setup project.

And it will allow you to use the "My Add-in should be available to all users of the computer it was installed on, not just the person who installs it" option if you start the Visual Studio use the Administrator permission.

And then please try your installers again, please also let me know your test result after you tried my suggestion.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Cosmin Pirvu Monday, October 03, 2011 2:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JulianaBooleana Monday, October 03, 2011 3:42 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Hi!

Thank you all for your help.

I just discovered my problem. I installed the 2007 office interop assemblies but they didn't appear in my prerequisites menu.

So I guess that if it didn't appear it was because it was already included or something and I just went forward... (dummy :s)

But I find a very useful tutorial here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc563937(v=office.12).aspx 

and It succeed. I added launch conditions too. I just did everything and it worked :)

My doubt wasn't whether I would install in the current user or other local users because in the setup we are allowed to choose. Instead, I was worried in installing the addin in other computers. 

Thank you all for your attention!

Booleana
    Monday, October 03, 2011 3:51 PM
  • You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear that you solved it.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:40 AM