none
Automated Printer Install

General discussion

• Hello, was wondering if it's possible to automate printer installs on the print server? Not actually installing printers on users systems, but into the print server itself.

My organization has over 50 printers and we're planning a server upgrade. I've taken it upon myself to attempt to create a .Net program that can install all the printers to our print server, creating the shares, ports, comments, etc automatically from a list (probably an XML file) of our current printers and IP's for them.

I prefer C# and was hoping there was something available for me to use as an example. Or, would it best to just use WSH?

Thanks in advance!
    Tuesday, January 25, 2005 8:05 PM

All replies

• Wow.

This is one of those "time savers" that would probably take longer to create than just doing the work.  There would be a lot to take into consideration (driver installs, printer default settings, user security, etc.).  It would be a hefty app I think...

What system are you going from/to?  If its W2K to W2K3 you should really look at an AD migration.

Also, depending on what those 50 printers are and how intelligent they are, active directory may list them automatically (printers shared from a XP workstation or printers using certain embeded print servers).

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 3:01 PM
  • Appreciate the reply. I found a free utility from Microsoft called Printer Migrator. It does exactly what I was looking to do... ;)

But to answer your questions... The printers aren't in AD, and we'd be moving from a Win2k to a Win2k system. We are also using the utility to assist is disaster recovery.

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:02 PM
  • Glad you found your answer.

Could you post a link to that tool on this thread?  Other users may find it handy when searching these forums for info!
    Thursday, January 27, 2005 3:29 PM
  • Sure, here's the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B9F2925-CBC9-44DA-B2C9-FFDBC46B0B17&displaylang=en">link to Print Migrator 3.1</a>.
    Thursday, January 27, 2005 7:24 PM