none
How to create an activity that allows multiple exit paths similar to FlowSwitch and FlowDecision

Soru

• There have been several threads around this type of request but none have provided a definitive outcome for my requirements:

I am looking to emulate the FlowSwitch or FlowDecision in a custom activity so as to simplify end user workflow authoring in a rehosted environment.
    Currenty I am limited to linking my custom activity to a FlowSwitch or FlowDecision to allow for simple logic to be visually composed. This creates additional
    complexity that I am trying to avoid.

I understand that these are sealed types and even the abstract FlowNode base class of these types does not have any overridable types by design as WF 4.0 favours composition over inheritance.

What options do I have to accomplish my objective?

If activity composition is the response to my question then could I kindly request that some samples or links to samples are provided?

06 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 12:31

Yanıtlar

• So literally I want the same as the topic title states: a custom activity with multiple exit paths. It would be good to use it in the same way as at FlowDecission (pick an end and draw the arrow to the next box)
    definitely, it's possible.

this flowswitch-like custom activity can be used both in VS and rehost.
    first you need to create an custom activity designer inherited compositeview.
    I have pasted part of code above you can refer to.
    after that, use workflowviewelement to create the flowswitch-like activity, and the multiple-exit behavior is controlled in the compositeview designer.

for any more detail, you may contact me, I can mail you some simple sample code.

20 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 04:50

Tüm Yanıtlar

• you can use WorkflowViewElement instead of ActivityDesigner to implement such custom activity.

06 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 18:34
  • Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any samples of how I could use WorkflowViewElement?
    06 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 18:49
  • Please give me some time.
    let me create a sample for you.
    in fact to create a custom activity like this, it also depends on its container.

06 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 19:37
  • I created a simple designer. the behavior is when this designer is dropped into the container designer, it will find two assign activities and setup the links to those two activities from its leftside and rightside, and the condition properties of the designer will be set value. if there is no assign activities, the links won't be setup.  

let me explain the steps here
    the behavior of flowswtch in flowchart is controlled by flowchart designer.

if you want to create a designer like flowswitch, you need to create the container, too.

1. create a designer with ICompositeView where you can set up links among activity designers(in this xaml.cs part, you at least need to implement the OnDrop function)
    2. create a designer like flowswitch use workflowviewelement.
    xaml part:
    <sap:WorkflowViewElement x:Class="ActivityDesignerLibrary2.ActivityDesigner2"
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        xmlns:sap="clr-namespace:System.Activities.Presentation;assembly=System.Activities.Presentation"
        xmlns:sapv="clr-namespace:System.Activities.Presentation.View;assembly=System.Activities.Presentation">
        <Grid>
            <Rectangle x:Uid="Rectangle_2" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Width="40" Height="40" Margin="0,5,0,20" Fill="Green" />
        </Grid>
    </sap:WorkflowViewElement>
    no change for xaml.cs part
    CodeActivity part

[Designer(typeof(ActivityDesigner2))]
        public class Activity2:CodeActivity
        {
            int condition1;
            int condition2;
            public int Condition1
            {
                get
                {
                    return condition1;
                }
                set
                {
                    condition1 = value;
                }
            }

public int Condition2
            {
                get
                {
                    return condition1;
                }
                set
                {
                    condition2 = value;
                }
            }

protected override void Execute(CodeActivityContext context)
            {
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            }
        }

3. now go back to ICompositeView designer, add some code when you update the view of the ICompositeView Designer
    if there is flowswitch like designer in it, set up links to the first two dragged-in activity designers, and set the Condition1 and Condition2 property value.

so this is the simple implementation, for more complicated implementation, you can modify the logic at step 3.

06 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 23:26
  • Ye Yu - Thanks for your sample.  However i think i have missed something - could you detail Step 1 a little more.  What do you need to create a designer for which impliments ICompositeView?  Can you not just use FlowChart or do you have to reimpliment the whole designer?

Many thanks for any help you can provide on this.

AJ.
    07 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 15:00
  • I've started posting some info on ICompositeView you might find useful, but it's still a long way off from complete. Flowchart is probably not easily reusable for this kind of customization because the classes are sealed (on the activity side) and internal (on the designer side)

http://blogs.msdn.com/tilovell/archive/2009/12/31/freeform-custom-activity-designers-using-icompositeview.aspx

Tim
    08 Ocak 2010 Cuma 01:14
    Moderatör
  • Can you not just use FlowChart or do you have to reimpliment the whole designer?

AJ, I don't think flowchart in this release allow you customize this kind of designer.

thanks,
    Anders
    This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights or warranties.
    08 Ocak 2010 Cuma 08:23
    Moderatör
  • Ye Yu - I appreciate your time taken to assist me in my endeavour.

I have a few questions regarding your sample.

1. Do I need to create a custom activity that I need to attach the ICompositeView designer to?
    2. How do I enable a custom activity to allow items to be dropped into it?
    3. In the implementation of the OnDrop method do I need to add the dropped items to the children collection of the ICompositeView designer?
    4. How do I programmatically set up links between 2 activities?

08 Ocak 2010 Cuma 13:30
  • AJ, sorry for the late response.
    here as I mentioned, if you want to create some activities whose behavior is like FlowSwitch, you need to reimplement the whole deisnger I mentioned in step 1.
    08 Ocak 2010 Cuma 23:00
  • 1. Do I need to create a custom activity that I need to attach the ICompositeView designer to?
    yes, you need to. and for this custom activity, you need to create a property to allow you drop the activity designers
    public Collection<Activity> Activities
            {
                get
                 {
                    if (activities == null)
                    {
                        activities = new Collection<Activity>();
                    }
                    return activities;
                }
                set
                {
                    activities = value;
                }
            }
    2. How do I enable a custom activity to allow items to be dropped into it?
    you can use DragDropHelper.AllowDrop, e.Effects and e.handles to implement this. e is DragEventArgs e
    3.  In the implementation of the OnDrop method do I need to add the dropped items to the children collection of the ICompositeView designer?
    protected override void OnDrop(DragEventArgs e)
            {          
                this.AllowDrop = true;
                object droppedObject = DragDropHelper.GetDroppedObject(this, e, Context);
                ModelItem droppedModelItem = droppedObject as ModelItem;
                Object srcContainer = DragDropHelper.GetCompositeView(e);
                DragDropHelper.SetDragDropCompletedEffects(e, DragDropEffects.None);         
                Point point = e.GetPosition(this);
         //move the activity designer inside the Icompositeview deisnger(just as what you see in flowchart deisnger)
                if (droppedModelItem != null && srcContainer != null && srcContainer.Equals(this))
                {              
                    this.ViewStateService.StoreViewState(droppedModelItem, shapeLocation, point);
                    //update the view of designer surface
                   UpdateView();
                }
         //drag a activity designer from toolbox into the designer surface
                else
                {
      //add the new added activity designer into modelitem collection, and you need to add a modelitem change event to update the view automatically
    //when you add the new activity designer
                    UpdateItem(droppedObject, point);
                }
                e.Handled = true;
                DragDropHelper.SetDragDropCompletedEffects(e, DragDropEffects.Move);

base.OnDrop(e);
            }

4. How do I programmatically set up links between 2 activities?

I'm not sure whether there is better way to implement this view effect.
    I use System.Windows.Shapes.Line to implement this. you can put the set-up-links code in UpdateView(), and when you set up the links, you could set the property value to the activity you created to simulate FlowSwitch as needed.

Conlusion: here you need to create two designers, one is the container deisnger, which is like Flowchart designer(because some of the behaviors of flowswitch you see is implemented by flowchart designer)
    the other designer is the designer to simulate flowswitch. the implementation code I have pasted last time on this thread.

08 Ocak 2010 Cuma 23:24
  • My problem is (hopefully) the same. However I could not reproduce the steps previously described in this topic.
    Besides I am very new to WF.

I suspect that is because i didn't use rehosted environment. Is that a problem? I prefer not to.

So literally I want the same as the topic title states: a custom activity with multiple exit paths. It would be good to use it in the same way as at FlowDecission (pick an end and draw the arrow to the next box)

Is that even possible?

Ok. I know the answer is probably already given still I find it confusing. Perhaps I'm missing the basics. Anyway I would be very great full for a noob-like explanation. If I could resolve this issue my company would use WF in long term. 
    19 Ocak 2010 Salı 10:04
  • So literally I want the same as the topic title states: a custom activity with multiple exit paths. It would be good to use it in the same way as at FlowDecission (pick an end and draw the arrow to the next box)

after that, use workflowviewelement to create the flowswitch-like activity, and the multiple-exit behavior is controlled in the compositeview designer.

for any more detail, you may contact me, I can mail you some simple sample code.

20 Ocak 2010 Çarşamba 04:50
  • Can someone please post some full sample code?
    I need to do the same thing and am struggling to understand how to even get started on this. If someone has done this already and we can see how that was done then I think that would be a great help.

Cheers

21 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 00:44
  • you may leave your mail here, I can mail you the simple sample code, not that complicated as flowswitch.
    21 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 00:46
  • Cheers. Can you please send to Matthew.vanBoheemen [at] Gmail.com
    21 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 01:04
  • I can't send the sample to you, it's said invalid address.
    21 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 01:45
  • Seems weird. How about Matthew.vanBoheemen@PayGlobal.com

21 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 01:47
  • Thank you for your answer! I think i`m getting it. Monday I shall work and try it out.
    22 Ocak 2010 Cuma 17:24
  • you may leave your mail here, I can mail you the simple sample code, not that complicated as flowswitch.
    Ye Yu,  could you send me the sample code?  gwinn@fairpaysolutions.com

thanks

05 Mart 2010 Cuma 21:41
  • Ye Yu,
    I have has some success with your assistance although I am still having issues around setting up links to other activities in the same way as the flowchart container allows you to do.
    could you send me the sample code as well please, thanks and much appreciated. My address is sameerx8@gmail.com.

Thanks
    06 Mart 2010 Cumartesi 10:02
  • I have sent you the sample code.
    07 Mart 2010 Pazar 05:08
  • Hi Ye Yu

Thanks for your responses you really have helped me grasped this particular topic.

I haven't yet received your sample code. perhaps you could send it to schunilall@theunlimitedworld.co.za
    Maybe there was an issue sending it to my gmail account.

Thanks once again for all you assistance.

Sameer

09 Mart 2010 Salı 12:08
  • I have sent to your mail box  schunilall@theunlimitedworld.co.za
    09 Mart 2010 Salı 19:01
  • I have has some success with your assistance, but there are still some problems  pending by creating my custom activity with multiple exit paths. (like FlowDecision)

could you send me the sample code as well please?

Mail: bdietric@hsr.ch

Thanks a lot

18 Mayıs 2010 Salı 12:57
  • Ye Yu,

Can you please send me the sample code also?  scott.brown@wipro.com

Thanks!

18 Mayıs 2010 Salı 14:43
  • Hi,

I have the same problem for a custom activity in my master thesis implementation.

Is it possible to share the code with me too?

babak.niknia@gmail

Thanks

25 Mayıs 2010 Salı 13:53
  • By my research, the WF4 flowchart have no extension ability. all the class - FlowNode, FlowStep, FlowNode, FlowDecision is sealed.

The only way to resolve such problem like this thread is to develop a new whole Workflow Designer Container like the flowchart designer.

the WF4 state machine in codeplex (http://wf.codeplex.com/) is a good example, the state machine development team write many code

to implement a Flowchart style designer.

we can see, to implement such a designer container is very complex. we have to use WPF to handle everything, include the drag and drop, drawing connector .

Why did the WF4 team design like this?

this is another example, but don't implement the connector:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tilovell/archive/2009/12/31/freeform-custom-activity-designers-using-icompositeview.aspx

WF4 is not good in everything! in WF3, we can easily implement a free form designer, like this:

http://quickflow.codeplex.com/

I hope the WF4's state machine workflow designer can support such extensibility  .

26 Mayıs 2010 Çarşamba 08:10
  • Can anybody share the code with me to - ivan_zdravkov@abv.bg

Thanks

17 Haziran 2010 Perşembe 13:58
  • Can anybody share the code with me to as well? - paras21@o2.pl

17 Haziran 2010 Perşembe 14:20
  • Hi Ye Yu

Possible to send me the sample code: Ushanta@gmail.com

14 Temmuz 2010 Çarşamba 19:20
  • Helo Ye Yu

is 't Possible to send me the sample code: nicolas@essaddam.com .

Thank you

16 Temmuz 2010 Cuma 08:45
  • Hello,

I to would like to get a hold of the source code for your example.  could you please email it to lance_wynn@hotmail.com

thanks

Lance

16 Temmuz 2010 Cuma 14:29
  • Hi!

Is this thread still alive? I need this exact piece of code so I would be happy if someone could send the sample to me as well - anze@studiopesec.com

Greatly appreciate it!

Regards,

Anže

20 Temmuz 2010 Salı 13:03
  • you can not do this in Flowchart.

if you want it ,the only way it to develop you own flowchart activity.

the StateMachie Workflow in WF4 in a good code example if you want it : http://wf.codeplex.com/

but I think to implement such workflow is very complex.

21 Temmuz 2010 Çarşamba 01:56
  • I need it too! May I have one? umaxfun[O]gmail.com
    02 Ağustos 2010 Pazartesi 05:11
  • I think this thread must be dead...  I have not received a reply to my request for the code yet.
    02 Ağustos 2010 Pazartesi 13:40
  • Guy:

there is no such code example!

You have no way to extend Flowchart. all it's core classes are sealed.

02 Ağustos 2010 Pazartesi 23:29
  • Jianyi,

I think you are maybe not understanding the proposed solution.  The solution as put forth by Ye Yu -MSFT is not to attempt to extend the flowchart, rather to create the functionallity using a WorkflowViewElement to create the same behavior. From Ye YUu's post, it seems like it may be a fairly simple task to do.  And he seems to indicate that he has sample code for it, everyone here is just asking for the complete sample that is referenced in the answer to this thread.

03 Ağustos 2010 Salı 00:36
  • I have sent you the sample code.

Hi Ye Yu,

I am trying hard to find out

Can you please send me the sample code also? sharma_swagata@rediffmail.com

27 Ağustos 2010 Cuma 08:13
  • Trust me ,brother.

it's very complex to give the complete code example.

using WorkflowViewElement  to implement the same behabvior is very complex.

haha, any one see the complete code example???

NONE!

27 Ağustos 2010 Cuma 08:18
  • Trust me ,brother.

it's very complex to give the complete code example.

using WorkflowViewElement  to implement the same behabvior is very complex.

haha, any one see the complete code example???

NONE!

Hi Jianyi, Thanx for reply. I am trying out workflowelement.
    27 Ağustos 2010 Cuma 08:44
  • I have no problem opening it using link you paste as of now, but it redirects me to a slightly different uri (+b/):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tilovell/archive/2009/12/31/freeform-custom-activity-designers-using-icompositeview.aspx

Or possibly blogs.msdn.com had some temporary technical issues...

08 Eylül 2010 Çarşamba 06:35
    Moderatör
  • Hi Ye Yu

Can you send the sample code to maryam_safary2005@yahoo.com please .

thanks alot

12 Eylül 2010 Pazar 09:07

Hi my friend :)

your answer was so helpfull :)

Wuld you please email the sample code for me?

or put it here

thanks a lot.

maryam_safary2005@yahoo.com

13 Eylül 2010 Pazartesi 11:33
  • I would like this sample code as wel, can someone send it to me?

shankarthanu[at]gmail.com

thanks

17 Eylül 2010 Cuma 19:56
  • Hi Ye Yu

Can you send the sample code to mrtaheri58@hotmail.com   please .

thanks

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren brook peng 17 Kasım 2010 Çarşamba 03:14
    06 Ekim 2010 Çarşamba 10:24
  • hello Ye Yu,

I would like this sample code as wel, can someone send it to me?

brook.peng@hotmail.com 

thanks

17 Kasım 2010 Çarşamba 03:15
  • Can you please email me the sample code at gilani.irfan@gmail.com
    10 Mart 2011 Perşembe 23:45
  • Hi Ye Yu, hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting this famous sample code too :-)

If you want to make someone smile, please send it to engelmatt[at]googlemail[dot]com

Thanks a lot

Matthew

08 Nisan 2011 Cuma 10:49
  • Hello Ye Yu,

can you plaese send me the complete code sample to my email address: sger_wf4@hotmail.de

Thanks a lot

29 Nisan 2011 Cuma 13:42
  • Hello @ all,

does anyone else got the sample code from Ye Yu. If 'yes' could one please send the code to sger_wf4@hotmail.de or publish it in this thread, it would be very helpful.

Thanks and nice weekend

29 Nisan 2011 Cuma 14:50
  • Thank you for the sample.  If posisble please send it to hlandry@laskoproducts.com

11 Mayıs 2011 Çarşamba 01:35
  • Hi Ye Yu,

I am also hunting for "Activity that allows multiple exit paths similar to FlowSwitch and FlowDecision"  and everytime i look in google you are the star.

Can you please send me the source code for this to anilkrishnagiri@gmail.com

Thanks

Anil

24 Mayıs 2011 Salı 23:51
  • Hi Ye Yu:

I am an student of Cumputer Science in Cuba and I'm working with WF 4 on my thesis. Please, if you could, send me the source code to octavioccl@gmail.con

Thanks

Octavio

Octavio Cesar
    25 Mayıs 2011 Çarşamba 18:18
  • Hi Ye Yu:

I am also very interested to know how this works. Can you send me the source code? my email address is lchen1999@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Lanny

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren Imaginesony 22 Haziran 2011 Çarşamba 05:16
    03 Haziran 2011 Cuma 16:43
  • Hi Ye Yu:

I am also very interested to know how this works. Can you send me the source code please ?

My email address is   imaginesony@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Vincent

22 Haziran 2011 Çarşamba 05:18
  • Hi Ye Yu, could you send the sample code for this problem.

apbarry At hotmail.com

Cheers 

19 Ağustos 2011 Cuma 13:38
  • Ye Yu - any chance you can e-mail me a working sample?

Thanks in advance.

David V. Corbin

Microsoft MVP / ALM Ranger

david.corbin@dynconcepts.com

Microsoft MVP / ALM Ranger
    31 Ağustos 2011 Çarşamba 14:23
  • Hi Ye Yu,

Could you please send the sample code to me as well?

Thanks

Janko

jsabados@hotmail.com

14 Ekim 2011 Cuma 07:29
  • Hi, how can I contact you for the sample code of how to create a custom flowchart activity with multiple exit paths?
    18 Ekim 2011 Salı 11:19
  • Hi Ye Yu,

Could you please send the sample code to me as well?

snowmenrui@yahoo.cn

Thanks!

24 Ekim 2011 Pazartesi 06:57
  • Rather than emailing a sample to everyone...why not make it a blog post?
    24 Ekim 2011 Pazartesi 15:32
  • Hi Ye Yu,

Can I also have the sample code? radu.crisan[ at} hotmail. com

Thank you.

09 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 10:23
  • Hi, 

I am also interested in this topic. 

Could anyone send the sample code to me?

bubbenboy@gmail.com 

Or do as Frank said and do a blog post about it =)

Thanks!

06 Mart 2012 Salı 12:56
  • Anyone willing to send me the sample from YeYu? Thanks!

rparas@albaspectrum.com 

Thanks again.

11 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 18:26
  • Anyone?
    12 Haziran 2012 Salı 12:51
  • Anyone willing to send me the sample from YeYu? Thanks!

liaotongquan@foxmail.com

Thanks again.

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren langzixin 12 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 08:00
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan langzixin 12 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 08:00
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren langzixin 12 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 08:00
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan langzixin 12 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 08:00
    02 Temmuz 2012 Pazartesi 02:57
  • I have bean puzzled by the problem"

create an activity that allows multiple exit paths" for a long time,can you send some sample to me,please.Email:langzixin@outlook.com

12 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 08:04
  • Can you send me the code sample please? ipman76@yahoo.com
    15 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 17:52
  • Hello Ye Yu,

I'm also interested in this topic. Could you send me this code to jatrans@outlook.com?

Thank you very much.

Jordi

19 Ekim 2012 Cuma 15:52
  • Hi Ye Yu

Can you send the sample code to pietro.degani@gmail.com please .

thanks

MCP

07 Aralık 2012 Cuma 16:27
  • Hi Ye Yu,

I am looking for the similar behavior in my application development. 

It would be great if you can send me the sample code to shirin.patel@gmail.com .

Appreciate your quick help.

Thanks,

Shirin

22 Temmuz 2013 Pazartesi 16:32
  • Hi Ye Yu,

Can you please send me the sample code for this?

I was able to create the New Flow chart kind of drag n drop and also developed a custom activity for FlowSwitch now,I dont know how we can implement those connectors which will evaluate / pass the control to the next step.

Thanks,

Shirin

23 Temmuz 2013 Salı 00:28
  • forgot to mention email: shirin.patel@gmail.com
    23 Temmuz 2013 Salı 00:28