none
How to register/listen the desktop window to my own WndProc?

Întrebare

• I need to get the the mouse messages on the desktop window (GetDesktopWindow()), how can I register my own WndProc so I can listen to those mouse messages?

I thought I could do the following, however, per MSDN, RegisterClass() is for CreateWindow(), etc. As Desktop window has been created, how can I assign my own WndProc to the desktop window so I can listen all mouse messages?

WCHAR consoleTitle[500];
        GetConsoleTitle( consoleTitle, 500);    
        HWND hwndConsole = FindWindow(NULL, consoleTitle);  
        HINSTANCE hInstance = (HINSTANCE)GetWindowLong(hwndConsole, GWL_HINSTANCE);
        WNDCLASS wc = {0};
        wc.hbrBackground =(HBRUSH)GetStockObject(HOLLOW_BRUSH);
        wc.hCursor = LoadCursor( hInstance, IDC_ARROW );
        wc.hIcon = LoadIcon( hInstance, IDI_APPLICATION );

// Provide handle from GetDesktopWindow() to WNDCLASS ?!
        wc.hInstance = GetDesktopWindow();
        wc.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;
        wc.lpszClassName = L"Test Window"; 
        wc.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;

if (! RegisterClass( &wc ) )
        {
            // throw exception;
        }

HWND hDesktop;
        RECT rt;

hDesktop = GetDesktopWindow();
        GetWindowRect(hDesktop, &rt);

//
        // Use CreateWindow() to create the desktop window again?

Thanks.

7 martie 2012 01:13

Toate mesajele

• As I don't know the objective you need to fulfill with this request I cannot be sure, but I'll suggest an alternative anyway:  Raw Input.  It is a great alternative to mouse or keyboard hooking.

Jose R. MCP

7 martie 2012 01:22
  • Thanks for the info, look like Raw Input still needs to use WM_* (windows message), e.g. WM_INPUT to get the raw input. So I guess my initial question still apply, but correctly me if I'm wrong.

Also, raw input has a structure called RAWINPUTDEVICE structure, which has usUsagePage and usUsage. Where can I get the usUsagePage/usUsage for the following input devices?

keyboard, mouse and touch?

Basically, I need to capture the input device's (mouse/keyboard/touch) input from a user's computer and display what the mouse's co-ordinate/action, keyboard input and touch point co-ordinate/action on my app.

Their input is not limited to my app's window area, but the overall user's desktop, regardless my app is in the foreground or background.

Thanks.

7 martie 2012 06:13
  • You could try and use the SetWinEventHook function.

«_Superman_»
    Microsoft MVP (Visual C++)

Polymorphism in C

7 martie 2012 12:13
  • Yes, you need a window that receives the WM_INPUT message, but the good thing is that you don't need to subclass a foreign window and instead you can simply provide your own window, which simplifies the scenario.

As for the codes, for mouse and keyboard you use usUsagePage = 1, usUsage = 1 or 6 (or was it 6 or 1?  Verify it).  For other input devices, I don't know.  You'll have to look them up or request them from Microsoft, maybe from Microsoft Support (not free).

Jose R. MCP

7 martie 2012 13:47