none
Visual Studio Debugger stops working while stepping through code from different solution

Pergunta

• Here's my problem:

• I have a Prism 4.0 based application with the base/executable in one solution.
    • Each module that the application uses is in a separate solution.
    • Modules are located and loaded using a MEF container.
    • All solutions are targeting .NET 4.0 full (not client).
    • During debug, typically one instance of Visual Studio is used, and the solution opened is the main application solution. Any breakpoints are set in files opened in this instance of Visual Studio. All assemblies have been built with full debug (.pdb) information.
    • A debug session, is started, and the breakpoints are hit as expected.
    • However, in an indeterminate amount of time, stepping through the code eventually causes the debugger to stop working. Symptoms include:
    • On a the next step, visual studio appears to hang for a few seconds.
    • Code stepping halts.
    • The status in the window title changes from (Debugging) to (Running) without user initiated resuming from debug. Even though the status changes to running, my application in the vshost process is not responsive.
    • After this the debugger is non responsive and no more breakpoints/stepping can be hit until the debug session is restarted.

Steps I have tried to resolve this issue have included unchecking the 'Just My Code' feature. I have not tried creating one giant solution with all the code involved, as this would defeat the purpose of Modular development using Prism for my team.

I am using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 and Resharper 6, Ankhsvn installed as plugins.

Edit: more comprehensive system information

VS 2010 Ultimate Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Any help would be appreciated!

• Editado dan_rydholm quarta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2012 19:26
    quarta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2012 19:16

Todas as Respostas

• Can you help me to ensure that if it can work once you disable or uninstall the add-ins, and import a default vssettings(Tools->Import and Export Settings...)?

And what about the issue on the others computers?

When it hang there, can you help me to save a screenshot?

And, please also take a look at the CPU and Memory usage when it is not responding.

Please also help me to take a look at the event viewer when it hang before and after you shutdown that process, and let me know if there's any new event item related this issue.

And I think you also can use the ProcessMonitor to monitor your application when you debug it, when it hang then watch the ProcessMonitor if it always read files and registry, even the network accesses.

What is the target platform of your projects, x86, x64 or AnyCpu, what it displayed in your task manager when you debug it with Visual Studio 2010, is there a "*" behind the name?

Does this issue has been existing when you begin this product development? If not, can you help me to remember when the issue occur?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

sexta-feira, 6 de janeiro de 2012 08:54
    Moderador
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    quarta-feira, 11 de janeiro de 2012 06:25
    Moderador
  • Mike,

I am not the original poster but I am having the same issue as well. Using the bullets from the original post, I am experiencing the same symtoms from the 4th bullet down (I do use ReSharper).

• All solutions are targeting .NET 4.0 full (not client).
    • During debug, typically one instance of Visual Studio is used, and the solution opened is the main application solution. Any breakpoints are set in files opened in this instance of Visual Studio. All assemblies have been built with full debug (.pdb) information.
    • A debug session, is started, and the breakpoints are hit as expected.
    • However, in an indeterminate amount of time, stepping through the code eventually causes the debugger to stop working. Symptoms include:
    • On a the next step, visual studio appears to hang for a few seconds.
    • Code stepping halts.
    • The status in the window title changes from (Debugging) to (Running) without user initiated resuming from debug. Even though the status changes to running, my application in the vshost process is not responsive.
    • After this the debugger is non responsive and no more breakpoints/stepping can be hit until the debug session is restarted.
    • This is sporadic. It may work fine for a few minutes (or even longer) and then it fails OR I may have to restart the debugging process several times in a row before I can get debugging information.
    • I have attempted to remove all plugin's and using the defaults settings and it still fails.

Also, I seem to be the only one on my team that is experiencing this issue

The next time that it happens (which is daily), I'll pass on any information that I can find.

terça-feira, 14 de fevereiro de 2012 18:04
  • Ok. I can give you a few screen shots and what shows up in the event log (sometimes...)

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>
    <Provider Name="Visual Studio 2010 Remote Debugger" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-13T20:07:57.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>41594</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>stu-pc.inrule.com</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-796845957-1580818891-854245398-3295" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>The remote debugger is unable to communicate with Visual Studio, and must abort the remote debugging session. Please restart debugging.</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

terça-feira, 14 de fevereiro de 2012 20:02
  • Call Stack missing ALL entries....

If I press F5 to continue, I get this message.

terça-feira, 14 de fevereiro de 2012 20:04
  • If you cannot share the whole Visual Studio solution, then you can help us to simplify the codes, delete the codes form your projects which not related to this problem, this is also an exclude way- a trouble-shooting method.

Maybe you also can find the problem code line, and solve it yourself before you send the simplified projects to us.

The problem Visual Studio solution will be necessary for us to repro and research this problem to find the real and root cause.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 09:48
    Moderador