none
Assigned To field not getting updated in TFS 2010

질문

• Hi,

One of our Developers name has changed its initials from (M.D) to (M.d)and so we added the updated name to one of the AD groups which is a member of TFS group. But the name doesn't gets updated in AssignedTo field. I am not sure what to do and how to update the database so that it shows up in the AssignedTo field. I read other threads in the forum which talk aboutTfsUsers tool but as we are on TFS 2010, the 2010 power tools does not have any such tool available. Please help.

Thanks,

Suman

2012년 3월 12일 월요일 오후 1:31

답변

• Do you see same behavior both in Visual Studio team explorer and in TSWA?
    • Do you see error like this in the work item? TF20015: The field 'Assigned To' contains the value ‘xxxx' that is not in the list of supported values ?
    • So which is the case: the user AD display name was updated OR old one disabled and a new AD user created with new display name?
    • Is there any domain change/move for the problem user? Users in same domain of TFS server?

There are a couple possibilities I could think of:
    1. A known AD bug that problem user has a trailing space in their display name. The problem was in the IdentityManagementService, not in TFS WorkItemTracking
    Run this script (adjusting the team project collection database name as appropriate, run in multiple collections if they exist):

use Tfs_Configuration

update tbl_security_identity_cache
    set [display_name] = LTRIM(RTRIM([display_name]))
    where '[' + [display_name] + ']' <> '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM([display_name])) + ']'

use Tfs_DefaultCollection

update ADObjects
    set [DisplayName] = LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayName]))
    where '[' + [DisplayName] + ']' <> '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayName])) + ']'

update Constants
    set [DisplayPart] = LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayPart]))
    where '[' + [DisplayPart] + ']' <> '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayPart])) + ']'
    and [SID] IS NOT NULL

2. AD TFS sync job no longer work. In that case, you should see some error in event log like this:
    TF200035: One of more errors occurred when Team Foundation Server attempted to synchronize the following identity
    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Could you run below query against the tfs_configuration database and let us know what is the output?

SELECT TOP 5 DATEDIFF(MINUTE, EndTime, GETUTCDATE()) AS CompletedMinutesAgo, Result, ResultMessage
    FROM tbl_JobHistory
    WHERE JobId = '544DD581-F72A-45A9-8DE0-8CD3A5F29DFE'
    ORDER BY HistoryId DESC

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

2012년 3월 23일 금요일 오후 5:35
    소유자

모든 응답

• Hi,

do you want:

1) to update old work items which have value of assigendto field = old name

2) to see a new name in the combo field assigned to.

Depends on that

1) It will not happen automatically, you have to either reopen all work items or to change it in excel with export/publish work items.

2) It should happen automatically, but you have to restart VS and it need some time for TFS to update some cached data. Or if you want to do that immediately, you can restart TFS.

Best Regards,

Ivan Kardum
    PMP, MCSD, MCPD, MCTS:TFS
    Blog: Kardum Software Development Storyboard
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.

2012년 3월 12일 월요일 오후 2:51
  • Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried waiting for weeks time to get the change reflected and have restarted the server as well but no luck.

The Assigned To field in TFS Web access still shows M.D initials instead of M.d

Thanks,

Suman

2012년 3월 13일 화요일 오전 6:17
  • Hi Suman

In AD, a user account has First name, Last name and Display name. In Web Accesss Display name is shown, not first name and last name. Did you change the Display name?

Best Regards,

Ivan

Ivan Kardum

2012년 3월 13일 화요일 오전 7:29
  • Hi Ivan,

Yes. The display name was also changed and the AD shows M.d

Thanks,

Suman Brar

2012년 3월 13일 화요일 오전 10:12
  • Hi Suman,

Thank you for your post.

As far as i know, TFS will synchronize use information with AD, is there any log in event view in both TFS-AT and client machinec?

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

2012년 3월 14일 수요일 오전 1:49
    중재자
  • Hi Lily,

Thanks for the reply.

As per the documentation, I hoped that it will synchronize automatically but I waited for a week's time but nothing happened. Also there are no related logs in the event viewer.

Thanks,

Suman

2012년 3월 14일 수요일 오전 11:04
  • Hi Sumen,

As Lily said, it should work automatically, but if it's not, you can try following:

1) remove the user from TFS Valid user and all other TFS groups

2) restart IIS on TFS Server

3) add the user again to the TFS groups

4) restart IIS, or TFS again

Please let us know, if the problem is resolved or something is different.

If the Problem remains, is it the same on all clients?

Best Regards,

Ivan Kardum

2012년 3월 15일 목요일 오전 7:42
  • Hi Ivan,

I believe the TFS valid users group is a read only group and we cannot delete users from there. Please correct me if I am wrong. In our case, there  is only one AD group in which all users are present. We deleted from AD and added the user again, we even tried adding the user independently out of AD group but it doesn't work. I have tried restarting the TFS server as well.

Thanks,

Suman Brar

2012년 3월 15일 목요일 오전 11:29
  • Hi Suman,

At first, I'd like to set agreement between us: the AssignedTo field will not change in existing workitems; in new workitem, new display name is supposed to show.

The first idea came into my mind is to determine if this is caused by TFS client side cache. To determine this, please create new workitem on another computer, or create workitem in TFS web access.

If this happens only on some computers, then please cleanup the TFS cache: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\3.0\Cache

Hope your issue will get clear soon.

Best Regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

2012년 3월 19일 월요일 오후 4:17
    중재자
  • Hello,

I'm having similar problem as Suman. I've noticed disabled user accounts were visible in the Assigned To dropdown boxes and I have deleted a user from AD that I thought it will go away but still it shows in the Assigned To dropdown box. I tried to clean-up the cache and other solutions suggested above but no luck. Further more or other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Mehmet

2012년 3월 19일 월요일 오후 9:54
  • Hi Forrest,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I agree the Assigned To field will display the new name only for the new workitems.

The problem is not at the client side as the behaviour is same when tried on different machines. I tried creating a new work item but the problem still persists.

Thanks,

Suman Brar

2012년 3월 20일 화요일 오전 5:17
  • Hi Suman,

I'm a little confused by above reply. By last few words "creating a new work item but the problem still persists."  I suppose the Assigned To field shows old value even in creating new workitem form.  Which is conflict with our agreement?

It is expected behavior to show old values in AssignedTo field, existing workitem form.

best regards,

2012년 3월 20일 화요일 오후 3:51
    중재자
  • Hi Mehmet,

TFS gets the available name values from a Windows user group in this case.  Although an account is disabled in Windows, it still keeps in membership relationship, it is still in original groups.  That's why the diabled account still visible in Assigned To field.  This applies to existing workitems, as well as new workitems.

Hope your query will get clear soon.

best regards,

2012년 3월 20일 화요일 오후 4:01
    중재자
  • Hi Forrest,

Old value of username was "M.D Hussain" and new value of username changed in AD group is "M.d Hussain".

I believe when I am creating a new workitem, the Assigned To field should show the name change in the username which is M.d Hussain(new value)but it still shows the M.d Hussain(old value). I was wondering in which case it will reflect the new value.

Thanks,

Suman Brar

2012년 3월 21일 수요일 오전 5:51
  • Hi,

I'm trying to get other people help on this thread, please wait for some time.

regards,

2012년 3월 22일 목요일 오전 8:08
    중재자
    • Do you see same behavior both in Visual Studio team explorer and in TSWA?
    • Do you see error like this in the work item? TF20015: The field 'Assigned To' contains the value ‘xxxx' that is not in the list of supported values ?
    • So which is the case: the user AD display name was updated OR old one disabled and a new AD user created with new display name?
    • Is there any domain change/move for the problem user? Users in same domain of TFS server?

There are a couple possibilities I could think of:
    1. A known AD bug that problem user has a trailing space in their display name. The problem was in the IdentityManagementService, not in TFS WorkItemTracking
    Run this script (adjusting the team project collection database name as appropriate, run in multiple collections if they exist):

use Tfs_Configuration

update tbl_security_identity_cache
    set [display_name] = LTRIM(RTRIM([display_name]))
    where '[' + [display_name] + ']' <> '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM([display_name])) + ']'

use Tfs_DefaultCollection

update ADObjects
    set [DisplayName] = LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayName]))
    where '[' + [DisplayName] + ']' <> '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayName])) + ']'

update Constants
    set [DisplayPart] = LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayPart]))
    where '[' + [DisplayPart] + ']' <> '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM([DisplayPart])) + ']'
    and [SID] IS NOT NULL

2. AD TFS sync job no longer work. In that case, you should see some error in event log like this:
    TF200035: One of more errors occurred when Team Foundation Server attempted to synchronize the following identity
    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Could you run below query against the tfs_configuration database and let us know what is the output?

SELECT TOP 5 DATEDIFF(MINUTE, EndTime, GETUTCDATE()) AS CompletedMinutesAgo, Result, ResultMessage
    FROM tbl_JobHistory
    WHERE JobId = '544DD581-F72A-45A9-8DE0-8CD3A5F29DFE'
    ORDER BY HistoryId DESC

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

2012년 3월 23일 금요일 오후 5:35
    소유자
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for replying so late as I was tied up with some other issues. Here is the response to your questions:

• Yes the behavior is same for Visual Studio and TSWA. It shows M.D Hussain, the old value.
    • There is no error shown.
    • The existing user got updated in AD group.
    • There is no change in the domain of the user.

I checked the possibilties as well:

1. There is no trailing space in the display name of the user.
    2. I checked the event logs on the server and there is no such error(TF200035).

The output of the query is:

CompletedMinutesAgo Result ResultMessage
    5 0 NULL
    66 0 NULL
    126 0 NULL
    186 0 NULL
    246 0 NULL   

Thanks,

Suman Brar

2012년 4월 10일 화요일 오전 7:21
  • Same issue, no trailing space, and no error recently.
    2012년 7월 23일 월요일 오전 2:39