none
VSDBCMD utility in VS2011 Beta

質問

• Hi.

I have installed VS2011 Beta on my computer. But I can't find vsdbcmd utility.

It locates in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VSTSDB\Deploy\" for VS2010.

Where can I find vsdbcmd for VS2011?

Does VS2011 contains vsdbcmd utility?

2012年3月15日 9:41

回答

• Hello kong83,

As far as I know that the database deployment feature in the VS11 Beta is somewhat different from that in VS2010. When you open one database project (.dbproj) which is created with VS2010 in VS11 Beta, you will actually upgade it to .sqlproj file which is the database project type of SSDT. SSDT is replacing Team Foundation Database Projects in VS11.

When you work with the .sqlproj project in VS11 Beta, you will find that actually there is neither .dbschema nor .deploymanifest file (which will be used in the vsdbcmd.exe) generated. I think that may be the reason why vsdbcmd.exe is not installed together with the VS11 Beta product.

In addition, for one thing I think you need to be aware is that: you can fully roundtrip the SSDT Database Projects (.sqlproj) between VS11 and VS2010 if you install SSDT on VS2010.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• 回答としてマーク kong83 2012年3月21日 6:42
    2012年3月16日 7:54
    モデレータ

すべての返信

• Hello kong83,

As far as I know that the database deployment feature in the VS11 Beta is somewhat different from that in VS2010. When you open one database project (.dbproj) which is created with VS2010 in VS11 Beta, you will actually upgade it to .sqlproj file which is the database project type of SSDT. SSDT is replacing Team Foundation Database Projects in VS11.

When you work with the .sqlproj project in VS11 Beta, you will find that actually there is neither .dbschema nor .deploymanifest file (which will be used in the vsdbcmd.exe) generated. I think that may be the reason why vsdbcmd.exe is not installed together with the VS11 Beta product.

In addition, for one thing I think you need to be aware is that: you can fully roundtrip the SSDT Database Projects (.sqlproj) between VS11 and VS2010 if you install SSDT on VS2010.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• 回答としてマーク kong83 2012年3月21日 6:42
    2012年3月16日 7:54
    モデレータ
  • Hi, Vicky.

Thanks for yor answert.

If I understood correctly, VS2011 doesn't contain vsdbcmd utility. But we use it for update databases during installation of new version of out product. The procedure is: remove old version, update databases schema using vsdbcmd utility, install new version.

What tool should we use now to update databases from command line?

2012年3月21日 8:12
  • I need to know this as well.  We package and automate the deployment of our schemas with VSDBCMD.exe and its dependencies.

Microsoft, please let us know.

2012年4月13日 18:43