none
Running in a normal instance (ie not just experimental)

Domanda

• Just a quickie. Is it possible to install a Roslyn Visx outside the Experimental instance at the moment? Would I be mad to do so?

It appears you need to have the Roslyn Language Services installed and running as a VS2010 extension for any Roslyn VISX projects to run. The Language Services don't seem to install by default on anything other than the experimental instance and I can't find an installer for them.

sabato 10 marzo 2012 12:22

Risposte

• You can, and yes, you would be mad to do so.

The language services are another .vsix extension, and you can find the .vsix under Program Files\Microsoft Codename Roslyn CTP\Extensions. Just double-click the .vsix file -- do not run the Installer.exe which is in the same folder. To uninstall, just uninstall from the extension manager. This still requires having the CTP installed on the machine.

That said, this is completely unsupported and is a slightly crazy. Beyond the list of unsupported language features, there are many other unimplemented parts of the IDE experience. IntelliSense will not behave how you think it should, some refactorings are missing entirely, and visual designers won't work at all. In many cases, I can assure you things will crash. Unless I had to do this to test the interaction between my extension and another add-in to Visual Studio, I wouldn't do it. There's a reason we kept the language services in an experimental instance!

• Contrassegnato come risposta woodced sabato 10 marzo 2012 23:01
    sabato 10 marzo 2012 22:50

Tutte le risposte

• You can, and yes, you would be mad to do so.

The language services are another .vsix extension, and you can find the .vsix under Program Files\Microsoft Codename Roslyn CTP\Extensions. Just double-click the .vsix file -- do not run the Installer.exe which is in the same folder. To uninstall, just uninstall from the extension manager. This still requires having the CTP installed on the machine.

That said, this is completely unsupported and is a slightly crazy. Beyond the list of unsupported language features, there are many other unimplemented parts of the IDE experience. IntelliSense will not behave how you think it should, some refactorings are missing entirely, and visual designers won't work at all. In many cases, I can assure you things will crash. Unless I had to do this to test the interaction between my extension and another add-in to Visual Studio, I wouldn't do it. There's a reason we kept the language services in an experimental instance!

• Contrassegnato come risposta woodced sabato 10 marzo 2012 23:01
    sabato 10 marzo 2012 22:50
  • Jason, 

Thanks for the reply. Just seen the sample which shows calling the language services from a custom VISX without having the Language Services extension installed. Much as I like to walk on the wild side, I'll go down that route instead of installing the Language Services on the non-experimental install. At least that way tricky behaviors will be more contained.

sabato 10 marzo 2012 22:57