none
VS2010 Remote Debugger Ports

Domanda

• Hello!

(using Remote Debugger with SP1 x86).

Basically I have Remote Debugger working. But for a customer we have to configure a firewall to allow remote debugging. All necessary ports as described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bt727f1t.aspx (How to: Set Up Remote Debugging) are already openend. Error message is either some DCOM error, Access denied or "cannot connect back" (varies sometimes).

But it seems that the computers use a dynamic port in range 1024-65535 to communicate (Port 135 is only used for activation?). It is not acceptable to open ports 1024-65535 on the firewall.
    EDIT: I can see that packets get dropped on firewall monitor, but the port numbers change every time I restart Visual Studio 2010. (e.g. 1336, 5122, ...), so I cannot add a rule for these ports!

1. Is it possible to assign a custom TCP/IP endpoint to the required DCOM components using dcomcnfg.exe (please specify component names, I cannot find suitable names)?

2. Is it possible to configure static port numbers in some .exe.config (eg. msvsmon.exe.config) or launch rdbgservice.exe with some kind of parameter?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

• Modificato slym45 venerdì 27 gennaio 2012 12:26
    venerdì 27 gennaio 2012 12:11

Risposte

• Hi,

I guess we need a more in-depth level of troubleshooting here. Will you consider the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs? Please visit the below link:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks & Regards,
    Leon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Contrassegnato come risposta slym45 martedì 3 aprile 2012 07:03
    mercoledì 28 marzo 2012 04:44

Tutte le risposte

• In my computers, I usually set a rule for a program, instead of a port, then the firewall will allow the connection which opened by this program, and do not care about which port problems.

And the ports allowed rules should be set on the remote computer, instead of the computer with your Visual Studio2010.

So you said the port number will changed every time after you reboot the Visual Studio 2010, but we just allow this program in the firewall like my first paragraph said. And then we set the port allowed rules in the remote computer like this document described: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126350.aspx

And:

you'll need to open those ports on both of the computers.

500, 4500

UDP

Required if your domain policy requires network communication to be performed through IPSec.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

martedì 31 gennaio 2012 01:54
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    lunedì 6 febbraio 2012 09:19
  • Unfortunately, it is not possible to allow a program to communicate through the firewall, because the firewall is a seperate machine (e.g. ISA or TMG).

Actually I am still trying to get this to work.

lunedì 20 febbraio 2012 12:22
  • I will try to involve the others in, maybe they have any idea for you.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

mercoledì 22 febbraio 2012 09:05
  • It looks to me more like a setting issue of firewall. Does your customer use 3rd party firewall?

Thanks & Regards,

Leon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

mercoledì 7 marzo 2012 06:41
  • Let me clarify the structure of the problem:

Network A (10.1.*): Production system with Computer PC-1 running the C# service and remote debugger (and other production machines). Network A has only DHCP and DNS.

Network B (10.2.*): Development system with Computer PC-2 running Visual Studio 2010 (and other machines for source code versioning, bug tracking, build server, ...). Network B is part of a 2003 domain.

It should be possible to debug PC-1 using PC-2 with a seperate firewall machine in the middle. At the moment the firewall is ISA 2006. The firewall basically blocks all traffic between the two networks with very few exceptions.

Regards,

mercoledì 7 marzo 2012 16:33
  • Hi,

I guess we need a more in-depth level of troubleshooting here. Will you consider the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs? Please visit the below link:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks & Regards,
    Leon

• Contrassegnato come risposta slym45 martedì 3 aprile 2012 07:03
    mercoledì 28 marzo 2012 04:44