none
VS2010 fails to build after installing VS11 beta

Domanda

• After installing VS11 beta, I now find that my VS2010 projects that target .Net 3.5 x86 are failing to build (in VS2010).

I get this error:

Error    1    Could not run the "GenerateResource" task because MSBuild could not create or connect to a task host with runtime "CLR2" and architecture "x86".  Please ensure that (1) the requested runtime and/or architecture are available on the machine, and (2) that the required executable "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\MSBuildTaskHost.exe" exists and can be run.

Of course, I checked both points are OK. Any ideas? Repair 2010 I suppose.

Thanks

EDIT - OK - - an additional reboot seems to have done the trick.

giovedì 15 marzo 2012 12:11

Risposte

• Hi Luc-Liu

don't worry - rebooting twice solved my problem. One further question - I don't get any Languages in the drop down list when creating a new project in Blend. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Simon

lunedì 19 marzo 2012 11:53

Tutte le risposte

• Hi Simon,

I cannot reproduce this issue, Please try to create a new project, see whether this issue still exists, sometimes some corrupt project file settings can cause this issue. It is project specific.

If this issue remains please provide some steps or sample code for us to reproduce this issue.

In addtion, you also can try to the following common workarounds:

use “devenv.exe /resetsettings” to restore Visual Studio default settings;

use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio;

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

lunedì 19 marzo 2012 04:42
  • Hi Luc-Liu

don't worry - rebooting twice solved my problem. One further question - I don't get any Languages in the drop down list when creating a new project in Blend. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Simon

lunedì 19 marzo 2012 11:53
  • Hi Simon,

In order to keep in the same issue, one thread only contains one issue, so i suggest you to write a new post for your second issue, and I will mark your solution reply as answer.

Thank you for your understanding!

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

venerdì 6 aprile 2012 09:21
  • After installing the Windows App Certification Kit for Windows 8, I am experiencing this same problem.  Colossal work, Microsoft! Just fantastic. How many more hours/days before I can resume (RESUME, because things used to be fine) my work?

Rebooting doesn't help.

Reinstalling Visual Studio doesn't help.

use “devenv.exe /resetsettings” to restore Visual Studio default settings;  doesn't help.

use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio;  doesn't help.

The error only occurs when I try to build a x64 configuration. Two different projects of mine have this problem and both use the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

"Could not run the "GenerateResource" task because MSBuild could not create or connect to a task host with runtime "CLR4" and architecture "x64".  Please ensure that (1) the requested runtime and/or architecture are available on the machine, and (2) that the required executable "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe" exists and can be run."

[YES, it exists]

"The "GenerateResource" task's outputs could not be retrieved from the "FilesWritten" parameter. Object does not match target type."

Help! I'm absolutely hosed until this is solved.

giovedì 9 agosto 2012 20:31
  • I have 2 boxes failing, one succeeding (the good one I installed RC, then RTM of 4.5)

Will keep you posted as to success/failure.

giovedì 23 agosto 2012 08:18
  • This could be related to the bug if you have a 20 character username and dot net 4.5 installed:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/758772/generateresource-fails-for-net-3-5-application-when-net-4-5-has-been-installed

• Proposto come risposta Ldcroberts lunedì 22 ottobre 2012 21:29
    lunedì 22 ottobre 2012 21:29