none
TFS2010 Error when changing branch parent

Domanda

• My working branch used to have a parent called Trunk. I converted my branch to a folder. Then I went to the new parent, which is also called Trunk but in a different source location and tried to create a branch, pointed the target branch to my working folder. I got an error saying "Branch from Trunk The iteam  <folder path> already exists."

How do I make it work?

Thanks

venerdì 9 marzo 2012 23:28

Risposte

• Glasin,

You already have a folder ytan024. What are you trying to accomlish with this branch?

1. Overwrite what exists in the existing ytan024? - Then delete first the ytan024 and then make a branch from Trunk

2. Merge the changes from Trunk to the existing ytan024? - Since you deleted the branching structure you'll have to do a baseless merge from the command line

3. ????

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. --- Success, Damir

• Contrassegnato come risposta Glasin mercoledì 14 marzo 2012 03:06
    domenica 11 marzo 2012 20:39

Tutte le risposte

•  A graphical representation or image would be very useful. 

Please also look at the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181425.aspx explains,

- How to convert branch to folder, folder to branch

- when converting folder to branch, convert related folders as well

- How to branch a branch

Also note you will not be able to have 2 branches in a team project with the same name regardless of where they are in the folder structure. 

HTH

Cheers, Tarun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

sabato 10 marzo 2012 23:56
  • This is the folder structure, ytan024 is my working work folder. it used to be a branch of Foundation/Trunk. I have converted it to a folder. Now I want to branch ytan024 from Foundation/Development/Trunk.

Here is the error I am getting when I tried to branch ytan024 folder.

domenica 11 marzo 2012 20:14
  • Glasin,

You already have a folder ytan024. What are you trying to accomlish with this branch?

1. Overwrite what exists in the existing ytan024? - Then delete first the ytan024 and then make a branch from Trunk

2. Merge the changes from Trunk to the existing ytan024? - Since you deleted the branching structure you'll have to do a baseless merge from the command line

3. ????

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. --- Success, Damir

• Contrassegnato come risposta Glasin mercoledì 14 marzo 2012 03:06
    domenica 11 marzo 2012 20:39
  • Hi Glasin,

Thank  you for your post.

According to your description of the issue, I suppose the situlation is you have $/Foundation/Development/ytan024 branch branched from $/Foundation/Trunk, then convert this ytan024 to folder. Now you want to create a new branch $/Foundation/Development/ytan024 from $/Foundation/Development/Trunk. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

The target branch name is $/Foundation/Development/ytan024 too, but there already exists a item with the same name. Also you mentioned "Trunk but in a different source location", but the target item name should unique.

For this scenario, I suggest you change the target branch name.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

lunedì 12 marzo 2012 02:54
  • Thank you for all the help.

Lily described it correctly. I have a branch called ytan024, it was branched from Foundation/Trunk. But now the check in process has changed, it's now a two stage check-in, me as developer can only check in to Foundation/Development/Trunk, QA people will then merge the Dev Trunk with the Foundation/Trunk. So instead of merging ytan024 with Foundation/Trunk, I want to set up branching with Foundation/Development/Trunk instead, so I can merge with it in the future.

Looks like there is no other way to do it than to delete the existing ytan024 folder, and branch from Foundation/Development/Trunk.

My Question was, is there a way to branch into an existing folder, rather than creating a new folder as the branch target everytime?

mercoledì 14 marzo 2012 03:12
  • Hi Glasin,

Create branch to a existing folder is available, but branch/folder name should unique with the same item structure. You can refer following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

mercoledì 14 marzo 2012 05:35