Visual appearance -- Is it just me?

Pertanyaan

• Is it just me or is the Beta appearance terrible? I really dislike the light AND dark themes. My world is isolated enough without my dev environment being monochromatic gray. Are there going to be additional themes (please, gods)?
    02 Maret 2012 17:44

Jawaban

• Hi Sharman,

Thank you for your suggestion, your suggestion is very important for us, I suggest you to submit this suggestionto UserVoice, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, thanks.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

05 Maret 2012 8:30

Semua Balasan

• I don't know, but Microsoft say they are reading the feedback (positive and negative) on the new UI.

Kevin

04 Maret 2012 15:31
  • I hope there is an alternative, colorful theme too.

Think about the logic MS uses...

Quote from Monty Hammontree "Allowing for the use of color within content to take center stage is increasing in importance as developers target Metro style clients such as Xbox, Windows Phone 7, and Windows 8. In targeting these platforms developers are creating user experiences that involve the use of bolder and more vibrant colors. These color palettes showcase much more effectively in a more monochromatic tool setting.

So you are saying that while end users need beautiful and colorful UI, Visual Studio does not want to compete with the content you are creating, so it is intentionally dull and colorless.  Remember the UI studies MS touted from WinXp to Win7 about the use of color, well defined boundaries and detailed icons (yes, they wanted us to create rich scalable icons).  So much for that, its flat colored boxes now.  I can hardly even read emails from MS these days due to the metro theme.

User interfaces should be intuitive and provide information and accessibility 'at a glance'.  How do tiny monochromatic, almost silhouette icons help?  How about borders? I have to mouse around just to find the edge of a panel control so I can resize the window!

Have you ever worked in a software development studio with more than one person?  Everyone seems to use different themes and color settings don't they?  They customize their workstations with configurations and extra tools to suite their needs and personal preferences.  I quite hate it when MS says 'this is the best way, you're all going to do it this way from now on'.  Even if that is true, it can be more productive for some people to continue doing things how they know, because it works productively and profitably for them, even if it is not the most efficient way possible.

Enough of this rant.

05 Maret 2012 4:09
  • Hi Sharman,

Thank you for your suggestion, your suggestion is very important for us, I suggest you to submit this suggestionto UserVoice, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, thanks.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

05 Maret 2012 8:30
  • To me the new theme seems nice ;). It is less distracting... But admittedly feels strange at first sight. What I seriously don't like are the new icons. I mean if they are monochromatic( more or less) they definitely deserve careful design. I find them quite  uselss. Its like clicking on egyptian hieroglyphs.

A theme switch is sure not the wrost idea, regarding the fact that VS uses WPF, where a theme switch more or less equals a template switch ^^.

05 Maret 2012 14:57
  • Have you ever worked in a software development studio with more than one person?  Everyone seems to use different themes and color settings don't they?  They customize their workstations with configurations and extra tools to suite their needs and personal preferences.

Yes, I remember working in a team of about 10 Visual C++ 6 developers about 12 years ago. No two devs used the IDE in quite the same way, including one who used Vi for writing code and only turned to the IDE for building and debugging.

Supposedly the existing IDE  with its toolbars and colour "distracts" us from writing code. This is plain nonsense. When I want to write code I write code. The rest of the environment I just ignore. But, for anyone who is distracted it has always been easy to hide the toolbars in a couple of clicks or run in full screen mode.

Kevin

10 Maret 2012 18:24