none
Visual Studio project templates are missing

שאלה

• Hi!

My Visual Studio 2005 project templates have disappeared. I've already tried to run "msdev /installvstemplates", but they didn't appear.

Any other suggestions?

TIA

יום שישי 10 נובמבר 2006 11:45

תשובות

כל התגובות

• I also have this problem. devenv /installvstemplates also doesn't work :(

any ideas to fix this?

André

יום שישי 29 דצמבר 2006 00:18
  • Hi and thanks for your answer.

But I didn't use a registry cleaner. It was a fresh install of Vista RTM Business + VS 2005, VSS 2005 + .NET 3.0 Extensions + SP1.

Registrycleaners are useless with the beginning of XP, because of the besser loading algorithm of the reg-hives.
    יום שישי 29 דצמבר 2006 15:04
  • What you can also try:

Under Tools => Options => Projects and Solutions, you can specify the directories for the project and item templates, maybe these got messed up and point to incorrect directories?

On my machine these are set to:

%userprofile%\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates
    %userprofile%\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ItemTemplates

You need to replace the %userprofile% with the actual value (Eg: C:\Documents and Settings\Gabriel)

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי chris-h יום שני 17 ספטמבר 2012 10:05
    יום שישי 29 דצמבר 2006 15:59
  • I fixed it by removing all extensions (.NET 3.0, WWF) and addins and running: devenv /installvstemplates.
    יום שישי 29 דצמבר 2006 17:30
  • I figured out what causes the issue. After installing the .NET 3.0 Extensions, the old project templates are gone :(

I've no idea, why this happens.I never had such problems with earlier builds of .NET 3.0 Extensions and Vista.
    יום שישי 29 דצמבר 2006 18:49
  • The problem lies in the .NET 3.0 item/project templates.  If you look in your event viewer under Application events, you'll see about 58 warnings that look about like this:

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\NET Framework 3.0\WinFXApplication.zip), file (WinFXApplication.vstemplate). Unknown element (MinFrameworkVersion). Parsing will attempt to recover.

This happens every time you start Visual Studio or attempt to add a new item to a project. The problem, however, is not resolved after uninstalling the .NET Framework 3.0.  I did just that and when I tried to add a new item to my Windows Application the only choice available to me is "Class."  I'm incensed that Microsoft's software can behave this way and we all just try to find workarounds, as described above.  Why not fully test the software and ensure it's working before releasing and selling it to the public?

יום רביעי 10 ינואר 2007 19:05
  •  CoderHead wrote:

The problem lies in the .NET 3.0 item/project templates.  If you look in your event viewer under Application events, you'll see about 58 warnings that look about like this:

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\NET Framework 3.0\WinFXApplication.zip), file (WinFXApplication.vstemplate). Unknown element (MinFrameworkVersion). Parsing will attempt to recover.

This happens every time you start Visual Studio or attempt to add a new item to a project. The problem, however, is not resolved after uninstalling the .NET Framework 3.0.  I did just that and when I tried to add a new item to my Windows Application the only choice available to me is "Class."  I'm incensed that Microsoft's software can behave this way and we all just try to find workarounds, as described above.  Why not fully test the software and ensure it's working before releasing and selling it to the public?

Well it works on my machine doesn't it. You can't possible expect Microsoft to test this on a trillion of different hardware and software combinations and god knows what other factors cause these kind of issues. The name of the zip file reads WinFX which indicates that this is no RTM installation.

יום רביעי 10 ינואר 2007 19:17
  • The .NET 3.0 Extensions are still beta and this was the last CTP for VS 2005. Newer version will only be shipped with the CTPs of VS Orcas in the VPC Image :(

I try to fix it on the next weekend, otherwise I have to reinstall Vista.

André
    יום רביעי 10 ינואר 2007 20:54
  • I had same issue after installing AJAX library but running devenv /installvstemplates fixed it.  Thanks for the post
    יום שישי 16 פברואר 2007 19:28
  • I was having the same problem.  I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall VS 2005 again plus SP1, making sure to install both as an administrator (right click on setup file and choose "Run as administrator").  I also chose a complete install.  Magically, they were all there the second time around.
    יום רביעי 07 מרץ 2007 22:03
  • All,

I was having the same problem after install the Enterprise Application Blocks February CTP.  Everything was gone and I could not even create a new project.  After running "devenv /installvstemplates", everything is back.  Although I agree that Microsoft can't test on every machine, this seems like such a simple thing.  Anyway, I hope this helps others.

--Darell

יום ראשון 25 מרץ 2007 16:23
  • It was long time ago, but it should never be too late :

Notice that all your project templates and item templates

(

located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates

and in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemsTemplates

)

are zip files located under a subdir for the kind of item or project and then under a subdir for the language specification (1033 for English).

.NET 3.0 are not put in those 1033 folders by default, just move them into the language folder (for all itemtemplates and then projecttemplates).

Finally : launch devenv.exe /installvstemplates (as Administrator if you are running Vista), you then should be able to use your old templates and the new ones.

יום חמישי 05 יולי 2007 08:39
  • Thank you.  This helped me.  I ended up copying files from a co-worker's computer as I no longer had the \Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplatesCache\CSharp\Web directory.  After running devenv.exe /installvstemplates I was then able to see the Web Control Library under Visual C#\Windows in the New Project dialog.

יום חמישי 06 ספטמבר 2007 18:56
  • Hi

The problem may also arise if the Visual Studiolanguage setting is other than the one you
    have initially set when installing Visual Studio. The language may be set under:
    "Options/Environment/International Settings".

I dont' know why my language setting changed to "Same as Microsoft Windows". My workstation
    installation is "German/Swiss". The original Visual Studio installation however was english.

By changing the language back to english, all templates were available again (after restarting
    Visual Studio).

Hope this help as well

Regards, Andreas

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי spel יום רביעי 06 פברואר 2013 20:46
    יום שני 15 אוקטובר 2007 10:13
  • Yes, some Updates or SP1 if you are not really cautious, will change your language settings in VS IDE Enviroment Options.
    I didn't see none of my old templates in a VS 2005 Pro (originally English) installation, just because I recently installed Windows Mobile 6 Templates (Spanish). Also I suspect some of the changes were due the VS SP1 ENU I have installed.

Final Solution:
    1. Change your lang setting to the original one. (If you see some rare menu entries in another language in the IDE)
    2. Check your templates still exist under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates"
    3. Do the trick with a VS command prompt an reinstall the templates:  at cmd type and execute: DEVENV /InstallVSTemplates

Ing. Luis Danilo Ruiz Tórrez
    • הוצע כתשובה על-ידי DevX2 יום שישי 29 אוגוסט 2008 00:24
    יום שישי 29 אוגוסט 2008 00:21
  •  Step #3 doesn't appear to work.  I get the error message: command "DEVENV" is not valid

Ian

יום שלישי 17 פברואר 2009 01:13
  • Ian, you're right. Maybe I didn´t mention that you have to change the current directory (or add it to the path) to  C:\{Program Files Folder}\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\, and DEVENV.EXE will start. Run DEVENV.EXE /InstallVSTemplates from that location, that's all.

Ing. Luis Danilo Ruiz Tórrez
    יום שלישי 17 מרץ 2009 18:56
  • Even after navigating the proper directory from the command line, devenv.exe did not work for me.

Verifying the location that my VS 2005 was using for the project templates, I confirmed that the folders in ...\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates did not contain any of the template definitions. All I did was copy over the contents each of the matching folders from C:\{Program Files Folder}\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\. (Similarly, I'm sure if you just changed the directory mapping from Tools-->Options menu from within VS, the result should be the same.)

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to why this happened in my case as my scenario doesn't seem to reflect the cases above. My entire install was done prior to when I received my machine and I still, frustratingly, continue to have issues with the setup.
    יום רביעי 16 ספטמבר 2009 21:42
  • hey, the solution work for me, by running the DEVENV /InstallVSTemplates in the command prompt.
    thanks !
    יום חמישי 01 אוקטובר 2009 04:14
  • I Fixed it by..

-Close all instance of Visual Studio
    -Open Visual studio Command Prompet
    -Wirte this command

devenv/installvstemplates

then enjoy All templetes

יום ראשון 10 ינואר 2010 10:57
  • I Fixed it by..

-Open Visual studio Command Prompet
    -Wirte this command

then enjoy All templetes

יום ראשון 10 ינואר 2010 10:57
  • I bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Installed VS 2005 and no project templates were available when I went to create a new project.

- Start | All Programs | Visual Studio Tools | (Now right click on VS 2005 command prompt and select "run as admininstrator"
    -Open Visual studio Command Prompt

-Type this command

The templates will install. Now open VS 2005 and create a new project or website. You will the templates.

יום ראשון 29 מאי 2011 05:43
  • Tools -> Import and Export settings->Reset All settings->

Reset Import and Export settings

Reset All settings

• נערך על-ידי SENTIL SEBASTIAN יום שני 20 מאי 2013 05:10 miss keyword
    יום שני 20 מאי 2013 05:09