none
VS 2010 WebForm App, The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document

Question

• Hi, 

I found the problem that I'm facing and I've also found similar problem reports:

quoting from 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/aa9b5f7e-4bfa-4e02-9c9d-d24edad49d2f

"When I hit F5, my solid red breakpoint in the DLL code goes to a hollow red circle with the maddening triangle and message when hovered over:  "The breakpoint will not currently be hit.  No symbols have been loaded for this document.

Some have suggested looking at the 'Debug | Windows | Modules' menu item...I do not have the 'Modules' option under the 'Debug | Windows' menu item.  This is VS2010 Ultimate, ...[but] I was able to get the shortcut to this window (Ctrl-D + M), and saw that my DLL was not even loaded. "

Still trying to dig around to find the solution. The "solution" from above thread was simply, "I realized that it was not loaded based on the scenario I was processing, and when I figured out which scenario actually loaded the DLL, my symbols were loaded and breakpoint was hit." which doesn't help at all for me. 

Following the blog from, 

http://geekswithblogs.net/dbutscher/archive/2007/06/26/113472.aspx

I've already 

• stop the debugger
    • close the IDE
    • close the hosting application
    • nuke the obj and bin folders
    • restart the IDE
    • rebuild the project
    • go through the Modules window again

But my DLL was still not loaded, even after I've created a brand new solution. 

Still investigating... appreciate that if anyone can give me some hints in the meantime.

jeudi 29 mars 2012 13:38

Réponses

• Hi smetah,

Glad to receive your reply.

Since I could debug it, so I’m afraid that it is related to your VS settings, maybe we could try to narrow down this issue.

1. If it has many projects in your solution Explorer, just close all of them and open this specific app, and debug it.
    2. Open your project->the bin folder, and make sure that it has the .dll and the .pdb file.
    3. When you debug your app, please close the firewall and the anti-virus software, so we can make sure that they can’t impact the .dll files which are downloaded.
    4. I suggest you could try a new similar project to debug it.

If no help, you could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands, or you can set path to the system environment.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE

Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VS Settings file.

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marqué comme réponse smetah mercredi 4 avril 2012 13:18
    mercredi 4 avril 2012 03:31
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• This is a WebForm app, there is a single WebForm in the whole project. 

All I did was to create a brand new solution, then add the newly unzipped existing project to it, and hope that MS VS will take care of the rest for me.

I've also tried to start over, unzipped the project.  Then clicked & opened the .csproj file in Visual Studio. 

But problem remains the same. 

jeudi 29 mars 2012 13:40
  • So far, I've narrow it down to the VS Debugger/compiler problem, not at the solution/project lever,

because I've tried my previous working project, and the debugging works just fine. However, just after I've clean the solution then rebuild the solution, and nothing else, I lost the ability to debug (set break point) my web app. 

IIRC, I never touch the VS Debugger/compiler option, and it happens to me all of sudden. 

Please help. 

jeudi 29 mars 2012 13:46
  • Can anyone test it please? 

You just need VS to test the WebForm. No IIS necessary for the test, and I don't have IIS installed either. 

Thanks A LOT for your help!!

jeudi 29 mars 2012 15:20
  • Alright, to make it super easy for you to help, 

I've upload my solution & project to 

http://ifile.it/i41eqmw/WebApp.zip

Please see if you can set the break point in the Page_Load method, and tell me how you are able to do that. 

Thanks

jeudi 29 mars 2012 15:22
  • I've exhausted all the "solutions" from  these threads:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vbide/thread/557fdedb-268e-48a8-9944-29b2b4e0dec2

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/00cce3a6-8702-4795-a11e-cd20a5a591e2

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsdebug/thread/4f7b3eb5-67b5-4066-8299-fe7635cc1d82

None of them works for me. 

I've even found an official solution from MS (but I've lost the url because my browser crashed when composing this post, this is my 2nd attempt). Basically the official solution is to run Visual Studio with elevated administrator permissions. But that doesn't work for me (specifically, I've done, On the Start menu, right-click Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and then click Run as administrator)

Can someone from Microsoft look into this please? 

From 
    you can see that it has been affecting many people for a long time, but never have a clear solution. 

Please help. Again,  my solution & project is at

http://ifile.it/i41eqmw/WebApp.zip

Thanks!!!
    jeudi 29 mars 2012 15:51
  • Hi smetah,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Since we aren’t permitted to download the app from the third party site, if possible, please attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the sky driver, and then share the download link in your post. Please also attach a screenshot image about the breakpoint where you use in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Two threads about the similar issue, Hongye and Gregg provided some suggestions to narrow down this issue, if possible, please refer them.

Visual Studio 2008 "The breakpoint will not be currently hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document".

Debuggin error: breakpoint will not currently be hit.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

vendredi 30 mars 2012 07:09
    Modérateur
  • Thanks Jack:

Here is the link

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=29D2139245BC75F9&id=29D2139245BC75F9%21105

First time using sky driver, hope it works. 

As for the break point, set it anywhere in the Page_Load method will do. 

Will check your links as well. 

thanks

vendredi 30 mars 2012 13:06
  • Will check your links as well. 

Unfortunately, none of them helps. 

My problem is that, my DLL was not even loaded in the modules window. Nowhere have I found talking about the solution to that. 

thanks

vendredi 30 mars 2012 13:18
  • please help.
    lundi 2 avril 2012 23:08
  • Hi smetah,

Sorry for my delay.

I download your project, then I try to debug it, but the breakpoint is hit like the following screen shot.

If you try to right click your project and clean and rebuild it, then debug it, whether the breakpoint can be hit?

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

mardi 3 avril 2012 03:16
    Modérateur
  • Thanks Jack, 

Please refer to my above post,

"because I've tried my previous working project, and the debugging works just fine. However, just after I've clean the solution then rebuild the solution, and nothing else, I lost the ability to debug (set break point) my web app. 

My question is, why you can while I can't. 

thanks

mardi 3 avril 2012 13:06
  • Hi smetah,

Glad to receive your reply.

Since I could debug it, so I’m afraid that it is related to your VS settings, maybe we could try to narrow down this issue.

1. If it has many projects in your solution Explorer, just close all of them and open this specific app, and debug it.
    2. Open your project->the bin folder, and make sure that it has the .dll and the .pdb file.
    3. When you debug your app, please close the firewall and the anti-virus software, so we can make sure that they can’t impact the .dll files which are downloaded.
    4. I suggest you could try a new similar project to debug it.

If no help, you could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands, or you can set path to the system environment.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE

Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VS Settings file.

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

• Marqué comme réponse smetah mercredi 4 avril 2012 13:18
    mercredi 4 avril 2012 03:31
    Modérateur
  • Thanks a lot!
    mercredi 4 avril 2012 13:18
  • You're welcome!

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]