none
virtual template function is in working c++ ????

Pregunta

• hi All  after so much surfing and cominng across various opinions I just want to know a clear idea about the following problem.

I've a base class with template and a dervied class of course with a template.Then can some of the functions declared virtual in base class and reimplemented in derived class work in c++ ..??

ex:

template<class Type>
    class Hello{
    public:
        virtual Type foo(Type jk){
            cout<<"jk is in Base class "<<jk<<endl;
            return jk;
        }

};
    template<class Type>
    class HelloD:public Hello<Type>{
        public:
         Type foo(Type jk){
            cout<<"jk is in derived class "<<jk<<endl;
            return jk;
        }

};

But I see  the above code works with Qt compiler.Which one the pure virtual or both  abstract and  virtual base class template are not allowed in c++ .

regards

simbu 

lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 14:58

Respuestas

• You haven't shown how you use these classes, or said what you expect to happen.

But the answer to your underlying question is: Yes, functions in a template class can be virtual.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Propuesto como respuesta Helen Zhao lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012 7:51
    • Marcado como respuesta Helen Zhao lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012 8:02
    lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 16:11
  • A simple concept we use template to implement generic function and classes . But default behaviour of classes and function always persist and it doesn't matter how you are implementing your class .

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 18:55
  • Hi simbu,

I have tried the codes you posted in VS2010 SP1 on my side. And in main function of a Win32 Console application, I added codes in main function as follows:

Hello<int>* hello=new Hello<int>();
    	HelloD<int>* hellod=new HelloD<int>();
    	int a=hello->foo(3);
    	int b=hellod->foo(5);

After running the application, I saw the following result of Console Window:

So we know that we can program like this in C++. If we declare a pure virtual function in Base class like this:

public:  virtual Type foo(Type jk)=0;

Then the Base class can not be initialized, we can still get result 5 from derieved class with the codes above.

I hope this reply is helpful to you. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
    Have a nice day!

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Editado Helen Zhao lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012 8:01
    • Propuesto como respuesta Helen Zhao lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012 8:02
    miércoles, 07 de marzo de 2012 7:24

Todas las respuestas

• What exactly do you expect your code to do, and how does the actual behavior differ?

lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 15:20
  • okk..I want to create a template base class A and a template dervied class B , derived from A..I simply want to have some member functions of A as virtual functions using template parameter and I  want to reimplement them in class B  differently .Example is as shown in my first post.I'm asking is this legitimate  to do in c++..??

If no why and if yes then will it be same with pure virtual functions..??

regards

simbu

lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 15:52
  • You haven't shown how you use these classes, or said what you expect to happen.

But the answer to your underlying question is: Yes, functions in a template class can be virtual.

lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 16:11
  • A simple concept we use template to implement generic function and classes . But default behaviour of classes and function always persist and it doesn't matter how you are implementing your class .

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

lunes, 05 de marzo de 2012 18:55
  • Hi simbu,

I have tried the codes you posted in VS2010 SP1 on my side. And in main function of a Win32 Console application, I added codes in main function as follows:

Hello<int>* hello=new Hello<int>();
    	HelloD<int>* hellod=new HelloD<int>();
    	int a=hello->foo(3);
    	int b=hellod->foo(5);

After running the application, I saw the following result of Console Window:

So we know that we can program like this in C++. If we declare a pure virtual function in Base class like this:

public:  virtual Type foo(Type jk)=0;

Then the Base class can not be initialized, we can still get result 5 from derieved class with the codes above.

I hope this reply is helpful to you. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
    Have a nice day!

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Editado Helen Zhao lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012 8:01
    • Propuesto como respuesta Helen Zhao lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012 8:02
    miércoles, 07 de marzo de 2012 7:24