none
Unable to Install Visual Basic 2005 Express

Question

• I am trying to install Visual Basic 2005 Express and continually get the error that Microsoft Service Pack 2 must be installed before it can continue.

Sounds simple, but when updating everything that Microsoft will allow for my system, it still will not Update to XP SP2.    I've tried time after time to no avail.  How can SP2 be installed if it will not recognize that the computer needs it?  XP is verified and registered.  It is WinXP Home Edition Version 2002 SP1.    Please Help...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Do you see XPSP2 in your add/remove programs entry?

You may have a pre-RTM version of XPSP2 on that machine and if you do, uninstall it, then go to windows update to get the right version.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:10 AM
  • I did go to add/remove programs and there were several XPSP2 entries, even though under the system computer info it clearly reads Service Pack 1, so I removed all of them as you suggested.  Then went back to Windows Update and updated everything (22 total security updates, all KBB numbers).  But still no SP2.  Now in the add/remove programs there are no SP2 entries. 

I don't understand why it will not recognize that SP2 is not there.  Is there a link that Microsoft has where the XP SP2 can be downloaded and installed, rather than automatically?  Or any other way to get SP2?

Thanks for any help,

EcnS

Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:27 PM
  • I don't think it's available as a download outside of Windows Update, however, you can order the CD from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:43 AM
  • Thanks for the link, I will order the CD and try it and post my results if I can get it to work.   Thanks, EcnS
    Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:29 AM