none
.svc file not being processed locally (have run 'ServiceModelReg.exe -i' but still no joy)

Question

• Hi all,

I know this is probably a common problem on these forums, but i have scoured the .NET (and this forum) and all the suggested solutions I have tried, but still no joy. I have tried the following two...

1) run 'ServiceModelReg.exe -i' from the v3.0/"Windows Communication Foundation" directory

2) put '<serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true"/>' into the WEB.CONFIG, but still no joy.

In the project I am still able to view a .aspx page through IIS, but when trying to view the .svc file it displays the text in IE and in FF I get the download file prompt.

Does WCF run off some kind of service? I had a networks guy disable some windows start up services, so not sure if one of these has caused it...

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Tryst

Tryst
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Tryst,

As Haripraghahs suggested, the windows eventlog is something you can check first. Also, as you said, if the aspx pages contained in the same web application/app pool works, that means the problem is due to the service process/application pool not started.

For WCF handler mapping,

"%WINDIR%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe" -i

If your windows server is 64 bit, make sure you have executed the command under the correct framework folder(32 bit or 64 bit).

Also, one issue I've ever seen about WCf hosting in IIS7 is that the application pool's pipeline mode will also affect the handler mapping. For your case, what is the application pool you use for the wcf service(the virtual directory or site). If you are using the classic application pool, you can try change it to integrated pool(or the default pool) to see whether it works.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you check on what error message is logged in the eventvwr application/system logs?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hi Tryst,

As Haripraghahs suggested, the windows eventlog is something you can check first. Also, as you said, if the aspx pages contained in the same web application/app pool works, that means the problem is due to the service process/application pool not started.

For WCF handler mapping,

"%WINDIR%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe" -i

If your windows server is 64 bit, make sure you have executed the command under the correct framework folder(32 bit or 64 bit).

Also, one issue I've ever seen about WCf hosting in IIS7 is that the application pool's pipeline mode will also affect the handler mapping. For your case, what is the application pool you use for the wcf service(the virtual directory or site). If you are using the classic application pool, you can try change it to integrated pool(or the default pool) to see whether it works.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:45 AM