none
error: << unexpected at this time

Question

• hi

Am trying to install temporary service certificate on my pc. the client and the server are on the same machine

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc949067.aspx 

I have followed the steps.. and am good till second step.. but in step : 3 

after the 

makecert -sk <<UniqueKeyName>> -iv RootCATest.pvk -n "CN=<<MachineName>>" -ic RootCATest.cer -sr localmachine -ss my -sky exchange -pe

i am getting the error saying "<< was unexpected at this time" , and could not proceed furthur.

Please let me know

thanks

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:35 PM

Answers

• i found the answe myself.  the command is actually incomplete . we need to add <<machinename>>.cer at the end of the command.

I request moderators to Please change the command in the above msdn link.

• Marked as answer by hkond001 Friday, March 19, 2010 7:32 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:32 PM

All replies

• makecert -sk <<UniqueKeyName>> -iv RootCATest.pvk -n "CN=<<MachineName>>" -ic RootCATest.cer -sr localmachine -ss my -sky exchange -pe

This is the command line given to create and install temporary service certificate.

I have created a certificate called RootCATest1 and installed it in trusted root certification authorities using MMC snap-in. I have RootCATest1 .cer and RootCATest1.pvk files created under the location of my program files. 

so i ran the above command 

makecert -sk << XYZ>> -iv RootCATest1.pvk -n "CN=<<kondamud-fiu>>" -ic RootCATest1.cer -sr localmachine -ss my -sky exchange pe

and am getting error <<Was unexpected at this time

XYZ is the unique name i wanted to give and kondamud-fiu is the name of my local machine. I have even tried writing the same command without changing anything vut i find myself with same error.

Please help

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:06 PM
  • i found the answe myself.  the command is actually incomplete . we need to add <<machinename>>.cer at the end of the command.

I request moderators to Please change the command in the above msdn link.

• Marked as answer by hkond001 Friday, March 19, 2010 7:32 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:32 PM
  • I'm facing the same error. Please elaborate the solution... give the entire command
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:15 AM