none
Clear textbox and labels

Question

• User inputs values into textboxes , user hits calculate(Button)  user needs to be able to input new values so.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            lbl1.text = ""
            lbl2.text = ""
            lbl3.Text = ""

End Sub

Button1 is to clear all input and out put.  The question is. Is there a better way of clearing all the user input and system output.
    There are about 13 textbox input values for the user and a little more then 100 label.text out puts.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:08 PM

Answers

• This is the code that I was able to get running with Option Strict On:

Dim activeTab As TabPage = TabControl1.SelectedTab

For Each ctr In activeTab.Controls.OfType(Of TextBox)()
                DirectCast(ctr, TextBox).Text = String.Empty
            Next

For Each ctr In activeTab.Controls.OfType(Of Label)()
                DirectCast(ctr, Label).Text = String.Empty
            Next
    NOTE: You can put this code into a shared subroutine somewhere and have the appropriate button on any form call this routine. You would need to pass the TabControl in to the method. Let me know if you need the syntax for how to do this.
    www.insteptech.com
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    • Marked as answer by Sunspot9393 Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
       For Each ctr As Control In Me.Controls
           If TypeOf ctr Is Label Or TypeOf ctr Is TextBox Then
                ctr.Text = ""
           End If
       Next
    End Sub

This will work provided all controls are in same container, form1 in this context.

Thanks

- Omie
    C isn’t that hard: void (*(*f[])())() defines f as an array of unspecified size, of pointers to functions that return pointers to functions that return void
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

ctr.Text = ""

End If

Next

End Sub

This will work provided all controls are in same container, form1 in this context.

Thanks

- Omie
    C isn’t that hard: void (*(*f[])())() defines f as an array of unspecified size, of pointers to functions that return pointers to functions that return void

I generally second this post.  One difference I would suggest would be to use OrElse instead of Or - OrElse performs short-circuiting of the evaluation and will not check to see if a label is a textbox as Or will.  This will speed up the comparison a little bit for a ton of controls.

Now, you may have additional textboxes and or lables which are not supposed to get reset with all the others.  In this case, one solution is to use a naming convention you can test for:

If TypeOf ctrl Is Label OrElse TypeOf ctrl Is TextBox AndAlso ctrl.Name.EndsWith("_x")

Where all the labels and textboxes to clear have a "_x" at the end of their name.

Or you can place a certain value in the Tag property of each lable/textbox to clear and test for that instead (e.g. ... AndAlso CInt(ctrl.Tag) = 1 ... if you put a "1" in the Tag of each control to clear).

This would also allow you to write a recursive routine which could go through all the control containers on the form in case your controls are not all located on the main form.
    Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
    • Marked as answer by Sunspot9393 Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:08 PM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Something similar will work, you just need to get the active tab. Something like this:

For Each ctr In activeTab.Controls
                    ctr.Text = String.Empty
                End If
            Next
    NOTE: This does not compile for me because I have option strict on. The ctr.Text generates a compile error.
    www.insteptech.com
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:45 PM
  • assuming a clear button is on each tabpage. change the T.Name to the name for that page

For Each T As TabPage In TabControl1.TabPages
                If T.Name = "TabPage1" Then
                    For Each ctrl As Control In T.Controls
                        If TypeOf ctrl Is TextBox Or TypeOf ctrl Is Label Then
                            ctrl.Text = ""
                        End If
                    Next
                End If
            Next
    • Edited by jwavila Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:51 PM edit
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Here is the subroutine:

#Region " ClearTabControl"
        ''' <summary>
        ''' Clears the TextBox and Labels from the active tab of the defined TabControl.
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <param name="currentTabControl">TabControl to clear</param>
        ''' <remarks></remarks>
        Public Sub ClearTabControl(ByVal currentTabControl As TabControl)
            ' Only clear the active tab
            Dim activeTab As TabPage = currentTabControl.SelectedTab

Next

Next
        End Sub
    #End Region
    Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:59 PM

All replies

ctr.Text = ""
           End If
       Next
    End Sub

Thanks

- Omie
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:23 PM

ctr.Text = ""

End If

Next

End Sub

Thanks

- Omie

I generally second this post.  One difference I would suggest would be to use OrElse instead of Or - OrElse performs short-circuiting of the evaluation and will not check to see if a label is a textbox as Or will.  This will speed up the comparison a little bit for a ton of controls.

Now, you may have additional textboxes and or lables which are not supposed to get reset with all the others.  In this case, one solution is to use a naming convention you can test for:

If TypeOf ctrl Is Label OrElse TypeOf ctrl Is TextBox AndAlso ctrl.Name.EndsWith("_x")

Where all the labels and textboxes to clear have a "_x" at the end of their name.

Or you can place a certain value in the Tag property of each lable/textbox to clear and test for that instead (e.g. ... AndAlso CInt(ctrl.Tag) = 1 ... if you put a "1" in the Tag of each control to clear).

This would also allow you to write a recursive routine which could go through all the control containers on the form in case your controls are not all located on the main form.
    Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:34 PM
                ctr.Text = ""
           End If
       Next
    End Sub

This works as you say in the context of a form.   However in this app. each form has tabpages, and each page is simular but calculates different based on the what type needed.   Each page has its own button and set of variables and formulas each has it's own 

Try

& 

End Try 

In useing this method for clearing the user input and system output I would want the clear button to only clear the data for that page and not for the whole form.

thanks
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:34 PM
  • In my code see line

For Each ctr as Control in Me.Controls

note that Me.Controls

This block of code search for all controls in 'Me' that is Form1.

If you use same block for any particular button in any other container such as different panel or a tab page, and if you change Me.Controls to ContainerName.Controls, code should work for that container.
    For Example,

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
       For Each ctr As Control In Panel1.Controls
                ctr.Text = ""
           End If
       Next
    End Sub

Also consider Reed's post about adding a tag or unique suffix for control name to identify control. Implement that if its necessary.

Thanks

- Omie
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Something similar will work, you just need to get the active tab. Something like this:

For Each ctr In activeTab.Controls
                    ctr.Text = String.Empty
                End If
            Next
    NOTE: This does not compile for me because I have option strict on. The ctr.Text generates a compile error.
    www.insteptech.com
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:45 PM
  • assuming a clear button is on each tabpage. change the T.Name to the name for that page

For Each T As TabPage In TabControl1.TabPages
                If T.Name = "TabPage1" Then
                    For Each ctrl As Control In T.Controls
                        If TypeOf ctrl Is TextBox Or TypeOf ctrl Is Label Then
                            ctrl.Text = ""
                        End If
                    Next
                End If
            Next
    • Edited by jwavila Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:51 PM edit
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:46 PM

Next

Next
    NOTE: You can put this code into a shared subroutine somewhere and have the appropriate button on any form call this routine. You would need to pass the TabControl in to the method. Let me know if you need the syntax for how to do this.
    www.insteptech.com
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:51 PM
  • I would thank you for that add :)

Thanks

- Omie
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Here is the subroutine:

#Region " ClearTabControl"
        ''' <summary>
        ''' Clears the TextBox and Labels from the active tab of the defined TabControl.
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <param name="currentTabControl">TabControl to clear</param>
        ''' <remarks></remarks>
        Public Sub ClearTabControl(ByVal currentTabControl As TabControl)
            ' Only clear the active tab
            Dim activeTab As TabPage = currentTabControl.SelectedTab

Next

Next
        End Sub
    #End Region
    Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:59 PM

Next

Next

www.insteptech.com

This is a great example of why I think Anonymous Types are such a bad idea....

I realize the OP has got the idea of looping through the appropriate container(s) to clear the controls, but the following should be pointed out.

Here is the proper fix to that code sample for Option Strict On:

For Each ctr As Control In activeTab.Controls
                If TypeOf ctr Is Label OrElse TypeOf ctr Is TextBox Then
                    ctr.Text = String.Empty
                End If
            Next

Note that all that was needed was declaring ctr As Control instead of leaving it anonymous...  using the OfType() extension will add a tremendous number of clock cycles to this routine given the number of controls in question and the fact that it must be run twice.

Also note, again, that this code should use the OrElse operator; it is a waste of clock cycles to check to see if the type of ctr is TextBox when it has already been determined to be a Label.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:28 PM