none
Fatal error 1603 while installing Visual Studio 2008

Question

• I'm getting a fatal error while attempting to installl Visual Studio 2008. I had already:
      - disabled the antivirus before before attempting the installs.
      - I do not have any beta or CTP version of the product installed.
     - I however do have Visual Studio 2005 installed and .net framework 2.0

The name of the log files produced are: dd_error_vs_vstdcore_90.txt

[01/07/10,16:51:24] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: [2] Error code 1603 for this component means "Fatal error during installation.
    "
    [01/07/10,16:51:24] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: [2] Setup Failed on component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    [01/07/10,16:51:26] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is not installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:26] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Document Explorer 2008 was not attempted to be installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:27] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component was not attempted to be installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:27] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition - ENU was not attempted to be installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:27] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 was not attempted to be installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:27] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 was not attempted to be installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:27] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime) was not attempted to be installed.
    [01/07/10,16:51:27] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime was not attempted to be installed.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Tcs_penang,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 can be installed on the same machine. They can work side by side.

Based on your description, it seems that the installation was blocked when it tried to install .NET Framework 3.5.

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

For error code "1603", it is a common message that means "fatal error during installation". For further troubleshooting, we need to look into the log files to track the error.

If you're running XP or Windows Server 2003:
    1. Use Cleanup tool to remove .NET Framework 3.5 >> 3.0 >> 2.0 in order
    2. Run the installer to install Visual Studio 2008
    3. If any problem occurs during the installation, use Collect tool to collect the log files for further troubleshooting.
    (Please follow the following steps to collect the log files)

If you're running Vista or Windows Server 2008:
    1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.
    2. Use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx
    If .NET Framework 3.5 is not verified, please remove and reinstall it.
    3. If .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are verified successfully but the installation still fails, please collect the log file.

If you're running Windows 7:
    1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.5.1.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
    2. Use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on Windows 7.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply for Windows 7)
    3. If .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are verified successfully but the installation still fails, please collect the log file.

The steps to collect the log:
      - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
      - Install Visual Studio 2008
      - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
         Collect tool:
         http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
      - Send vslogs.cab file (created by Collect Tool) to my mailbox: v-yicche@microsoft.com

I will look into the log files to try checking the cause of your issue.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by tcs_penang Friday, January 08, 2010 8:35 AM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Tcs_penang,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 can be installed on the same machine. They can work side by side.

Based on your description, it seems that the installation was blocked when it tried to install .NET Framework 3.5.

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

For error code "1603", it is a common message that means "fatal error during installation". For further troubleshooting, we need to look into the log files to track the error.

If you're running XP or Windows Server 2003:
    1. Use Cleanup tool to remove .NET Framework 3.5 >> 3.0 >> 2.0 in order
    2. Run the installer to install Visual Studio 2008
    3. If any problem occurs during the installation, use Collect tool to collect the log files for further troubleshooting.

If you're running Vista or Windows Server 2008:
    1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.
    2. Use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx
    If .NET Framework 3.5 is not verified, please remove and reinstall it.

If you're running Windows 7:
    1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.5.1.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
    2. Use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on Windows 7.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply for Windows 7)

The steps to collect the log:
      - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
      - Install Visual Studio 2008
      - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
         Collect tool:
         http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
      - Send vslogs.cab file (created by Collect Tool) to my mailbox: v-yicche@microsoft.com

I will look into the log files to try checking the cause of your issue.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by tcs_penang Friday, January 08, 2010 8:35 AM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi YiChun,

Mine is a Windows XP, and I've not ran the Cleanup tool, yet. I;m wondering if it;ll have any impacts on the current 2.0 framework,
    as I need to have the VS2005 on my pc for a project i;m working on. Also, I noticed the below errors in the Event logs:

Product Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1-- Error 1714. The older version of Microsoft .Net FRamework 2.0 SP1 cannot be removed.
      System Error 1612.

Product Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 - The file C:\\Windows......\mscorwks.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name setup, ID 5712
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hi Tcs_penang,

Thank you for your reply.

Mine is a Windows XP, and I've not ran the Cleanup tool, yet. I;m wondering if it;ll have any impacts on the current 2.0 framework,
    as I need to have the VS2005 on my pc for a project i;m working on.

I have Visual Studio 2008 installed on my machine. I used to remove .NET Framework 3.5 since it was corrupted. Then I re-installed it. After that, Visual Studio 2008 could work well. As far as I know, removing and reinstalling .NET Framework 2.0 would not affect Visual Studio 2005. If there would be any issue, I'm willing to help you on that.

Also, I noticed the below errors in the Event logs:

Product Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1-- Error 1714. The older version of Microsoft .Net FRamework 2.0 SP1 cannot be removed.
      System Error 1612.

Product Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 - The file C:\\Windows......\mscorwks.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name setup, ID 5712

Error 1714 actually means “The older version of … could not be removed”. And System Error 1612 tells us “The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.”

The Root cause of the issue could be:
    • The Windows Installer registry information for the .NET Framework got into an inconsistent state; the system thinks that one or more hotfixes are installed for the .NET Framework, but the information about the source location of the hotfix is missing from the registry
    • The Windows Installer cache (%windir%\Installer) is missing some information about a .NET Framework patch that is installed on the system
    Here are two methods that you could try to solve your issue:
    One simple solution can be to use .NET cleanup tool to remove .NET 2.0 and try installing .NET 3.5 SP1 separately. Then try installing Visual Studio 2008 again.

Another solution can be rebuilding the installer cache.
    For more information, see: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2006/11/30/rebuilding-the-installer-cache.aspx
    Then try installing Visual Studio 2008 again.

If the above suggestion doesn't work, could you please try the steps that I mentioned in my last reply to collect the log files for me for further troubleshooting?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:55 AM
  • I  ran the cleanup tool and it solved my problem. Thanks YiChun
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Hi Tcs_penang,

It's my pleasure!

I'm so glad to hear this good news. Cheer!

Have a great weekend.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Hi, I am installing Visual Studio 2008 in Windows 7 x64, I got the error 1603 when runned the install in unattended mode. The error was caused because the legacy antivirus have execution rules and you can not execute the .inf files (that is by security in pen drives and CD/DVD could be infected of virus). The intaller try to execute a .inf file. I suggest to take a review of execution rules logs or disable the antivirus while install it.

Cheers, Ed

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:43 PM