none
Installing an outlook addin for all users

Question

• I try to install an outlook addin under HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE depending on the selected installation mode (just me/everyone). So I work with User/Machine Hive in the registry editor.

The installation just for the current user works perfectly. But after selecting everyone during the installation process I can't even activate the addin in Outlook. In the trust center it is marked as inactive and trying to activate it will result with an error: "This add-in is installed for all users on this computer, and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator".

I'm pretty new to programming in vsto and registry stuff - I'm pretty new to programming in general :)

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Monday, October 04, 2010 2:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is a bit of a minefield, to say the least.  Basically, administrative installs are suppoted for Outlook 2010, but require a hotfix for Outlook 2007.  I recommend inhaling this article and its supporting references:

Deploying your VSTO 2008 Add-In to All Users (Part III) - Misha Shneerson - Site Home - MSDN Blogs:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2008/04/24/deploying-your-vsto-add-in-to-all-users-part-iii.aspx

(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)
    Eric Legault: MVP (Outlook), MCTS (SharePoint)
    Owner: Collaborative Innovations
    Twitter: elegault
    Blog: Eric Legault My Eggo
    Monday, October 04, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Thank you for this great article!

It actually helped me to get my addin running for every user installed on my machine.

Just a brief comment:

According to the article I had to create a DWORD value EnableLocalMachineVSTO in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0. This didn't work at all. However I realized that there is another Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0... and this did work!

I'm using VSTO 4.0 rather than VSTO 3.0, i don't know but this could be the reason for the different key-name.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:14 PM