none
Convert Hex to Long and Decimal

Question

• Hi there,

I am wondering if there is a ready method I can use to convert a Hex number (written as a string) to Long and/or Decimal. I can do it by going thru the string backwards, converting chars to God knows what, multiplying by the base(16) times position, adding the results, ect, ect, etc.

Still I am wondering if there is a C# method that does it.

There are methods in Microsoft.VisualBasic namespace but I could not get them in my Intellisense at all.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:18 PM

All replies

• that's exactly what it says.

Convert.ToDateTime(num); is invalid cast.

the following works:

Int64 num = Int64.Parse("FFFFF", System.Globalization.NumberStyles.HexNumber);

long numb = Convert.ToInt64(num); //no need to convert to Decimal then to long

DateTime dt = DateTime.FromBinary(numb);

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:10 PM
  • long IS a Int64, long is just the primitive representation for Int64 and that is not why you are having problems. You are having problems because this "long" does not represent a valid DateTime type.

Using the FromBinary is a way around, but still probably not a valid DateTime representation and you will get (1/1/0001 00:00:00) for "FFFFF" and for most other Hex values.

You will successfully represent a DateTime in Hex in a case like this:

Code Block

long longint = Int64.Parse("88CA2B3C1D25971C", System.Globalization.NumberStyles.HexNumber);

DateTime dt = DateTime.FromBinary(longint);

MessageBox.Show(dt.ToString());

Regards,

Fábio

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

can't system.convert be used to do the desired functionality??       

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Thank you Fabio and Tony as well.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:56 PM