none
No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed.

Question

• Hello.

I installed VisualStudio.NET 2005 a few days ago.  ( not beta )

While I'm debugging, I'm faced with strange message box.

-- MessageBox --

No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed.

-- Debug Detail Window --

FatalExecutionEngineError was detected
    The address of the error was at 0x7a2b5aec, on thread 0x358.
    The error code is 0xc0000005.
    This error may be a bug in the CLR or in the unsafe or non-verifiable portions of user code.
    Common sources of this bug include user marshaling errors for COM-interop or PInvoke,
    which may corrupt the stack.

How should I solve this problem?
    Please answer me..

Thanks.
    Gwisun.

Monday, November 07, 2005 6:02 AM

Answers

• Several steps to get a more detailed debugging experience:

1. Enable unmanaged debugging (or force mixed mode)

2. Set the debugger to stop on all exceptions (0xc0000005 is "access violation").

3. Turn off "just my code".

4. Enable symbol server support and use http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols for your symbol server.

Next time you hit the exception, you should get a more complete call-stack.

Monday, January 23, 2006 3:02 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same error. Please let me know how you solved it...

Thanks
    Satya
    • Proposed as answer by Karin Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:08 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:45 PM
  •  

Hi,

I have just the same problem. So we are three already.

Is there somone who is able to help???

regards tom

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:40 PM
  • Can we say 4 already?
    Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:35 PM
  • Sorry we are now 5.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:53 PM
  • In the message:
         The address of the error was at 0x7a2b5aec, on thread 0x358.

That address is very important because it can tell if you're all hitting the same crash or different crashes.  Are you all getting the same address? If not, what addresses are you getting?

And this is all with the final shipped version of VS2005? (not some beta or CTP)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:02 PM
  • This is #6.

I am running a VSTO application.

It is followed by the following error:

ContextSwitchDeadlock was detected
    Message: The CLR has been unable to transition from COM context 0x158c30 to COM context 0x158950 for 60 seconds. The thread that owns the destination context/apartment is most likely either doing a non pumping wait or processing a very long running operation without pumping Windows messages. This situation generally has a negative performance impact and may even lead to the application becoming non responsive or memory usage accumulating continually over time. To avoid this problem, all single threaded apartment (STA) threads should use pumping wait primitives (such as CoWaitForMultipleHandles) and routinely pump messages during long running operations.

Friday, January 13, 2006 4:41 PM
  • I've been getting the same error for some days now. I'm using C# in VS2005 .NET CF and the app is being run on the Device Emulator. I don't get and error as such but rather a message box and Exception assistant; here are the contents of the exception that follows the message box:

System.UriFormatException occurred
      Message="Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed."
      StackTrace:
        at System.Uri.CreateThis()
        at System.Uri..ctor()
        at System.Net.WebProxy.CreateProxyUri()
        at System.Net.WebProxy..ctor()
        at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SubmitRequest()
        at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.finishGetResponse()
        at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.asyncGetResponse()
        at WorkItem.doWork()
        at System.Threading.Timer.ring()

Any clues about what is going on here?

• Proposed as answer by Arunkumar_MCSD Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:29 PM
  • I just want to add that the error happens only when I run the debug version of the VSTO project.  The release version does not have this problem.
    Friday, January 20, 2006 7:00 PM
  • I'm inclined to agree with this observation, in fact, I have the distinct impression in my case that the problem is related to the occurence of exception calls that are contained in System.SR.

As these are occuring when I am using CF (which I understand doesn't naturally include it) I have tried unsuccessully to solve the problem referencing System.SR.

This is a really annoying problem and I wish someone from MS would address it to conclusion.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:38 AM
  • Several steps to get a more detailed debugging experience:

1. Enable unmanaged debugging (or force mixed mode)

2. Set the debugger to stop on all exceptions (0xc0000005 is "access violation").

4. Enable symbol server support and use http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols for your symbol server.

Next time you hit the exception, you should get a more complete call-stack.

Monday, January 23, 2006 3:02 AM
  • I pause to look at data while I'm at a breakpoint in my code.  Often times, while attempting to step forward through my code I get an error message saying: 

"LoaderLock was detected"

Attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code inside a DllMain or image initialization function since doing so can cause the application to hang.

After pressing Ok, I get the same message "No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed." 

Does anyone know how to fix this??  Maybe this is just a coincidence, but I only noticed this in the official 2005 release and not in the beta.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:04 PM
  • Dear All,

Please count us in as number 10 and 11 ?

We are two more developers, we have been getting the same error for some days now (No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed)

We are using C# in VS2005(release), .NET CF and the app is being run on the Device.

For the moment this a showstopper, any Microsoft response will be highly appreciated.

Swan B

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:23 AM
  • i am getting both errors, different places when i try to debug the code too...  i am using vb.net

thank you any help would be great!!!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:45 PM
  • I had the same error message. I got mine when working with COM objects hosted in my app.

What I did to solve this problem (if you can call it solve ) is disable the LoaderLock exception from Debug->Exceptions->Managed Debugging Assistants->LoaderLock (Remove V from Thrown).

I don't know what's the cause of this exception but I don't get the exception anymore.

Hope this helped at least some of you.

Itai

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:04 AM
  • Thanks Itai,

for the response. We tried all kind of appoaches.

I think what solved it for us, was to completely delete(rename) the project folder and create a new from source safe.

Despite all the good MS work done in VS2005, we have for device development been severely troubled by errors-/unstability and sluggish behaviour in the IDE.

Any links to a list(s) of known error-/fixes for the VS2005 for devices will be higly appreciated. (and will hopefully imrove our productivity)

Best regards,

Swan B

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:41 AM
  • I think this worked for me.  I disabled LoaderLock and ContextSwitchDeadlock and so far it does not pop up during my long WMI and database calls.

However, after disabling them it added Inherets Attribute to my module code.  I had to move it to the class module and it seems to be working.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 3:39 AM
  • Im getting this problem too.  Any ideas?
    Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:43 PM
  • Lucky guys. You seem to go very ahead of me.

I am just beginning this fight. I just want to create a front-end for a database, nothing much.

The warnning and the Help say to change the configuration from Active(Release) to Debug.

I change it, save it, close the window, press F5 and all returns to Active(Release) ... with no degbug, no breakpoints, no ...

I just get the same message.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:01 AM
  •  

hi every one , getting this problem , there a solution , i think it wil help u  all -

-- just solve all warning ,  then debug . And i think after that  , this msg wil not show .

-- try this

mahfuz

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:50 AM
  • Count me in as another person with this issue.  If I debug my managed code and then step forward.  CRASH with the same message
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:26 PM
  • - I'm Looking in this problem currently

\\ Ram | Visual C++ / C# / J#  DS team

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:12 PM
  •  

This particular case is solved because of not - reproducable.

\\ Ram | Visual C++ / C# / J# DS Team

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:16 PM
  • I was getting the ContextSwtichDeadlock msg while debugging.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172233.aspx

It looks like the MDA was being falsely activated.  I unchecked the ContextSwitchDeadlock node in the Exceptions window and I no longer get my debugging interrupted by this exception.

You can get to this option by navigating to Debug menu item, Click on Exceptions, expand the Managed Debugging Assistants node, and uncheck ContextSwitchDeadlock.

Friday, October 06, 2006 3:01 PM
  •  

i have sub classing edit control .when it retruns to old procedure(main procedure) .this error comes

i have also same problem  "No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed"

thank you any help would be great!!!!

Monday, November 13, 2006 7:44 AM
  • The same error i have got in my application where i published my application as two different versions in to GAC and in some point of time got the above error. I simply removed the GAC Versions installed and it is working fine. So in general i believe that either your application or reference assemblies in your application have got multiple versions and there is a version related issue.
    Friday, November 24, 2006 10:20 AM
  • No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed.

Unhandled exception at 0x551811b4 in devenv.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0f29b310.
    Unhandled exception at 0x551811b4 in devenv.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0f29b310.
    Unhandled exception at 0x551811b4 in devenv.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0f88fa08.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:34 PM
  • So, how exactly do you do 1, 2,  and 3?  I don't see any options in the menus in VBE...

Thanks

Ted

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:03 PM
  • I'm only getting this while using Mutli Threaded Aps.  When I'm stepping through the debugger it just sets off for no reason.  I found it was because I had a WATCH window open and one of the variables I was trying to watch was of the same name as a variable I was stepping through. 

Meaning,

Filename in thread1
    Filename in thread2 and being watched in window Watch1
    Debugging thread1
    Error thrown because it's cross-threading itself.

Maybe my error was just individual to my case, maybe it's an MS IDE thing.  Who knows. 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I had this same problem "No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame....." throws and error "Attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock". I got past this by going to Debugg - Exceptions and in the Managed Debugging Assistants unchecking the LoaderLock.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:26 PM
  • Count me in with the same problem.

Mine is an object that calls a Web service.  I can ".Execute" from a form.  When I ".Execute" it as a thread, the Web service throws this same "The CLR has been unable to transition from COM context..." exception. 

I've been fighting the error for 3 days now.  Yes, it does appear to be a deadlock of sorts.  Any/all suggestions how to get beyond this issue are appreciated.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  

Hi,

I'm seeing the same problem with the code below in both release and debug modes in VS2005 using VC++.

#include<stdio.h>

#include<windows.h>

void main()

{

FILE *ptr = fopen("C:\\Data.txt", "w");

BYTE b = NULL;

printf("Enter a single digit");

scanf("%d", &b);

fprintf(ptr,"%d", b);

fclose(ptr);

ptr = fopen("C:\\Data.txt", "r");

fscanf(ptr,"%d",&b);

fclose(ptr);

printf("%d entered.", b);

}

Please help in resolving this issue.

thanku.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:04 PM
  • THE FIX:  From Debug->Exceptions->Managed Debugging Assistants, make sure the "ContextSwitchDeadlock" and "LoaderLock" exceptions are not thrown by unchecking their check-boxes.  (If you don't see "Exceptions" in the Debug menu, add it through Tools->Customize->Commands->Debug.  Drag and drop "Exceptions" to the "Debug" menu.)

This seems to happen when either COM components are used or when interacting with DB Servers, including SQL Server 2005.
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:56 PM
  • Thanks schoudhry

This worked like a charm.

Been bugging me all day until i saw your post.

Didnt have any problems with my application until i change to realease and switched DB servers.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:57 PM
  • I got this...

The CLR has been unable to transition from COM context 0x197730 to COM context 0x1975c0 for 60 seconds. The thread that owns the destination context/apartment is most likely either doing a non pumping wait or processing a very long running operation without pumping Windows messages. This situation generally has a negative performance impact and may even lead to the application becoming non responsive or memory usage accumulating continually over time. To avoid this problem, all single threaded apartment (STA) threads should use pumping wait primitives (such as CoWaitForMultipleHandles) and routinely pump messages during long running operations.

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:01 AM
  • Maybe this will help someone else.    I had this problem.  My app was in release mode.  Switch it to debug so you get a detailed error.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 10:37 PM
  • This does indeed get rid of the messages and the exception but I have a sneaky suspicion that this is kind of like putting a bandaid on a severed limb so to speak . . .why is this exception thrown in the first place? Shouldn't we try to fix whatever problem we are all encountering or is this exception more of an enviornment bug and all my concerns meerly the ramblings of a perfectionist?

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:30 PM
  • I was using Asynchronous call to a Web service method before calling some methods of the same Web service in normal way.

I just changed the order of calls, and problem was solved.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:08 PM
  • hi,

I have the same problem

I tried ur solution

the other options , I could not try because it was not very clear to me.

Please can u give the solution as early a possible?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:17 AM
  • Itai R said:

I had the same error message. I got mine when working with COM objects hosted in my app.

What I did to solve this problem (if you can call it solve ) is disable the LoaderLock exception from Debug->Exceptions->Managed Debugging Assistants->LoaderLock (Remove V from Thrown).

I don't know what's the cause of this exception but I don't get the exception anymore.

Hope this helped at least some of you.

Itai

and

schoudhry said:

THE FIX:  From Debug->Exceptions->Managed Debugging Assistants, make sure the "ContextSwitchDeadlock" and "LoaderLock" exceptions are not thrown by unchecking their check-boxes.  (If you don't see "Exceptions" in the Debug menu, add it through Tools->Customize->Commands->Debug.  Drag and drop "Exceptions" to the "Debug" menu.)

This seems to happen when either COM components are used or when interacting with DB Servers, including SQL Server 2005.

Thank you very much :) ,  it's solved my problem, too

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem.

In my project I was pumping data to a MS Access Database.
    In the loop where I've got the INSERT statement I have put Application.DoEvents() and this solved the problem.

Regards,
    TaeSoft.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:06 AM
  • I was also calling a COM component and all I needed to do was reset the two switches you mentioned. Thanks for the help, Glenn
    Glenn Gentile
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:59 PM
  •  To fix go to Configuration Manager and make sure Build is checked on all projects. That was what resolved it for me.
    • Proposed as answer by Karin Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hello, I have deleted *csproj files. Received new from SourceSafe and it started to debug again.

Max
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Some of your processes are trying to get hold of a hidden parameter. For example if you're trying to access COM port from Form Main and then open up a few other forms and access from there too. This might happen. Try finding the Threads, Function calls, BackgroundWorkers etc that cause these error. Maybe you can erase the function and try running to be sure. When the thread causing deadlock is found, try disposing them when you don't need them and dispose when the program is closing.

This worked for me. I hope it does for you too. 

Junesh
    junesh1983@hotmail.com
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Dear All,
    Please Do the Following Steps
    Step 1:Go to Debug -->Exceptions
    Step 2:The Exceptions Window will be shown ,on select Unselect all Check boxes whatever showing in the Same window(Like C++ Exceptions,Win32 Exceptions.ETC...)
    Then Run .
    The Same problem Occoured for me also. It has been resolved by using the above steps
    Thanks,
    Arunkumar.P
    arunkumar_mcsd@yahoo.co.in

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Dear All,
    Step 2:The Exceptions Window will be shown ,on select Unselect all Check boxes whatever showing in the Same window(Like C++ Exceptions,Win32 Exceptions.ETC...)
    Then Run .
    The Same problem Occoured for me also. It has been resolved by using the above steps
    Thanks,
    Arunkumar.P
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Dear All,
    Then Run .
    Thanks,
    Arunkumar.P
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:39 AM
  • If you are using VS 2005, then you  need to do some settings in Exception settings in VS.

Go   Debug menu --------> then Exceptions

It will open a PopUp window, Uncollapsed the third option "managed Debugging Assistants"

Inside that you unselected all the exception to thrown.

I think it will solved your problem, as previously I was facing the same problem ... after this settings it's not coming.

Thanks

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:11 AM
  • In my case, I resolved the issue by checking Tools -> Options -> Intellisense -> 'IntelliTrace events and call information'.

Windows 7 + VS2010

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:16 AM