none
Visual Studio 2012 install fails on Windows Server Enterprise 2008 SP2

Question

• I get this error in the log file:

Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0.  System error 161.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

The log file contained the command line being executed so I executed it manually:

msiexec /i "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{D11F66FF-82B3-DDB8-1146-525370552BE1}v8.59.25584\packages\W
    indows_SDK\Windows Software Development Kit for Metro style Apps-x86_en-us.msi"   ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT="1" MSIFASTINSTALL="7" ARPSYS
    TEMCOMPONENT="1" KITSROOT="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\"

I get the same error.

I checked permissions on the key listed above - in LOCAL_MACHINE not LOCAL_MACHINE32 - and SYSTEM and myself have full permissions to that key and its children.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

regards Rob Goodridge

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:35 AM

Answers

• Rob,

I've just bumped into these exact problems and I've located my problem: I'm running Vista, and Visual Studio 2012 isn't supported on Vista: see http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-desktop#product-express-desktop-requirements for the full list.

Windows 2008 and Vista share the same underlying kernel, which is a different kernel to that used by Win7/2008-R2, and it wasn't until this later kernel that K32GetModuleInformation moved into kernel32.

Why the blazes the installer doesn't just stop dead when it detects an unsupported OS, I have no idea.

So uninstalled, and wound back to Visual Studio 2010 Express...

Cheers,

Chris...

• Edited by rangerchris Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:22 AM Updated following finding out which OS the op was running.
    • Proposed as answer by rangerchris Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Goodridge Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:30 PM

All replies

• May we please see your complete install log set?

Provide as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:04 PM
  • https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30405222/Temp/vslogs.cab

regards Rob Goodridge

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:15 AM
  • When you've obtained the cab file from Dropbox, tell me so I can delete it.

TIA

regards Rob Goodridge

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:09 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I have checked the log files and found the error messages below:

MSI (s) (A4:88) [12:44:51:497]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI27F2.tmp, Entrypoint: SchedSecureObjectsRollback
    Action start 12:44:51: SchedSecureObjectsRollback.
    SchedSecureObjectsRollback:  Failed to store ACL rollback information with error 0x80070424 - continuing

The error 0x80070424 might happen because the Windows update issues, would you please perform the steps mentioned in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968002

Then, please try some common troubleshooting steps:

1. Before install Visual Studio, you should finish the steps below first:

- Turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software during installation;

- Install the latest Windows updates from the Windows Update site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com;

- Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation. (And don't forget to turn it on later)

2. Go to Add/remove programs in the control panel, check whether there are any components of .NET Framework 4.0 be installed
    If so, uninstall the .NET Framework 4.0 components.

3. Then run the .NET Framework setup with Administrator privilege:

- Make sure your user account is in Administrators group

- Right-click the installer -> Properties -> Security tab -> add your account with Full control.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Did fixes to get Windows Update working

Anti-virus switched off.

Uninstalled Microsoft .NET 4.0 Multi-targetting Pack

I did not install .NET Framework, partly becasue the version was not specified and also because I could not see its relevance to VS 2012.

I'll re-install VS 2012 now. It'll take some time and I may not check it again until at a different location so I'll post this progress message.

Uninstalled VS 2012 first.

regards Rob Goodridge

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:50 AM
  • So, 3 hours and 7 minutes later I have the same error in two log files:

Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0.  System error 161.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Can you explain why its got the '32' on the end of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32?

regards Rob Goodridge

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:05 PM
  • When I run Visual Studio - whatever it has succeeded in installing - it abends with entrypoint K32GetModuleInformation cannot be found in KERNEL32.dll. This is correct. It does not exist in kernel32.dll. I read on MSDN that this api is in PSAPI.DLL. But its not. Whats going on?

Is this a clue as to the issue?

regards Rob Goodridge

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Based on your last post, it seems that you already have your VS2012 installed successfully, however, you get error errors when you launch it. Could you please show me the detailed error message you got?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:49 AM
  • No. That is incorrect. It has not installed any better than when I first started this post.

When the install fails, it leaves something installed. That something gets the error I described in the previous post.

I have supplied all the information there is to give you.

I currently have 3 questions outstanding from previous posts:

1) Its does not install correctly. Same error as detailed in first post.

2) Can you explain why its got the '32' on the end of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32?

3) Why is it trying to use K32GetModuleInformation when it does not exist on this OS?

Please get specific on this issue and not continue with it as a general Visual Studio issue. Especially on (2) and (3). I will be waiting for explanations for these 2 questions before doing anything else you may ask me to do.

regards Rob Goodridge

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Rob,

I've just bumped into these exact problems and I've located my problem: I'm running Vista, and Visual Studio 2012 isn't supported on Vista: see http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-desktop#product-express-desktop-requirements for the full list.

Windows 2008 and Vista share the same underlying kernel, which is a different kernel to that used by Win7/2008-R2, and it wasn't until this later kernel that K32GetModuleInformation moved into kernel32.

Why the blazes the installer doesn't just stop dead when it detects an unsupported OS, I have no idea.

So uninstalled, and wound back to Visual Studio 2010 Express...

Cheers,

Chris...

• Edited by rangerchris Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:22 AM Updated following finding out which OS the op was running.
    • Proposed as answer by rangerchris Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Goodridge Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Sorry to be late getting back, but is your Windows Server 2008 the R2 version?

If it is not, I agree with rangerchris that you cannot install VS 2012 on that system because WS 2008 (non R2) is not a supported OS.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Thats the issue. I thought that Windows Server 2008 SP2 was Windows Server 2008 R2.

regards Rob Goodridge

Thursday, October 04, 2012 4:19 AM
  • VC++ 2012 X86 runtime is supported officially from MS on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (x64) platform

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=30679

but, I am also getting the same issue when I am trying to install !!

Venkat

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:27 AM