none
Win32, getting a window title from a hWnd

Question

• If I use EnumWindows to get all windows, how would i use a hWnd to find the title of a window (so as to differentiate between windows so an action is performed to only windows with a certain title)?

Thanks in advance,
    - Javawag
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:57 PM

Answers

• You'll probably want to use that in  conjunction with GetWindowTextLength:

Code Snippet
    [DllImport("user32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto)]
    public static extern int GetWindowTextLength(HandleRef hWnd);
    public static extern int GetWindowText(HandleRef hWnd, StringBuilder lpString, int nMaxCount);

//...
                int capacity = GetWindowTextLength(new HandleRef(this, handle)) * 2;
                StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder(capacity);
         GetWindowText(new HandleRef(this, handle), stringBuilder, stringBuilder.Capacity);

If all you want is the name window text of all processes, you can use Process.GetProcesses() the use Process.MainWindowTitle; but MainWindowTitle will not get the latest window text (just the text the first time it is called on a process).

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• PInvoke GetWindowText
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Sounds about right, but it didn't work. This is the code I used:

Code Snippet - GetWindowText

[DllImport("User32.dll")]
    public static extern string GetWindowText(int hWnd);

and I get an "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." error. Any ideas?

- Javawag
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Try

Code Snippet

public static extern int GetWindowText(HandleRef hWnd, StringBuilder lpString, int nMaxCount);

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:42 PM
  • You'll probably want to use that in  conjunction with GetWindowTextLength:

Code Snippet
    public static extern int GetWindowTextLength(HandleRef hWnd);

//...
                int capacity = GetWindowTextLength(new HandleRef(this, handle)) * 2;
                StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder(capacity);
         GetWindowText(new HandleRef(this, handle), stringBuilder, stringBuilder.Capacity);

If all you want is the name window text of all processes, you can use Process.GetProcesses() the use Process.MainWindowTitle; but MainWindowTitle will not get the latest window text (just the text the first time it is called on a process).

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Ok, this looks promising! However, I really don't know how to use StringBuilders... could you show me what I'd need to do if i put my code here?:

frmMain.cs: (this part is repeated for every open window, using each one's hWnd)
    if (Win32.GetWindowText(hWnd) == "Untitled - Notepad")
    {
    Win32.SendMessage(hWnd, Win32.WM_SYSCOMMAND, Win32.SC_RESTORE, 0);
    }

Win32.cs:
    public const int SC_MINIMIZE = 0xF020;
    public static extern int EnumWindows(EnumWindowsProc cb, int lparam);
    public delegate bool EnumWindowsProc(int hWnd, int lParam);

What code would I need to use in frmMain.cs to get the name of a single form from its hWnd and check it against my test string (which, at the moment, is "Untitled - Notepad")?

Ok, I fiddled around, and the original suggestion worked. I'll mark that as the answer. Thanks a lot!!
    - Javawag

Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:20 PM