none
Integarting Sharepoint pages with Help function in Visual Studio

Question

• Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm trying to integrate our sharepoint pages with the help function in TFS 2010. So basically if I'm on the start page and press F1, I want it to link to a sharepoint page, or if I'm working on a user story I want it to link to a user story sharepoint page instead. I was wondering if this is possible, if so how could I go on about implementing something like this?

Thanks!!

• Moved by Mark Liu-lxf Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:39 AM (From:Visual Basic General)
    Monday, June 25, 2012 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Algdeli,

For your requirement, I am sorry that there is no easy/simple approach to accomplish it. As far as I know that when you press F1 in VS, you actually access the VS help system. If you choose the local help system, actually you call the .msha file on your local machine. So for your scenario, one possible approach is that you first create your own .msha file which fulfill your own requirement, and then use it in your VS.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hello Algdeli,

Thanks for your post. However, I still feel confused about your issue, please kindly offer me more information:

1). "So basically if I'm on the start page and press F1, I want it to link to a sharepoint page", do you mean you are on VS start page and press F1?
    2). "or if I'm working on a user story I want it to link to a user story sharepoint page instead", do you mean you want to add link to SharePoint page in the User Story work item?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the response! Yes it is exactly how you interpreted it.

1) Yes this is the VS start page, currently it takes me to http://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev10.query?appId=Dev10IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(VS.STARTPAGE)&rd=true but I would like it to redirect to one of our sharepoint page.

2) No, this is the exact scenario as in 1), so I'm working on an item and if I press F1 for help, it takes me to the appropriate sharepoint page. I would like to do that with all the work items that we have.

Hope that makes sense. And again thanks for the help! :)

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Hi Algdeli,

For your requirement, I am sorry that there is no easy/simple approach to accomplish it. As far as I know that when you press F1 in VS, you actually access the VS help system. If you choose the local help system, actually you call the .msha file on your local machine. So for your scenario, one possible approach is that you first create your own .msha file which fulfill your own requirement, and then use it in your VS.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:21 AM