none
Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1.4322 Update-service

Question

• Hello,

Until recently my laptop went into stand-by mode whenever i closed the screen (like chosen through properties, energy). But when i close my screen now or want to get my laptop into stand-by mode, i receive the message that Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1.4322 Update-service prevents going into stand-by and that i should shut down this service and then try again. Can you tell me how to shut down this service and/or how to get back to the previous state (no interruption of going into stand-by)?

Thank you,

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:36 PM

Answers

• Very nice it solved the problem! Thank you very much Appleoddity .

So for all Avira AntiVir users i reposted Appleoddity's second post which contains the solution for the discussed problem.

To disable Avira AntiVir temporarily so that the .NET framework update can complete,
    this is what you need to do:

1.) Click Start -> Run -> Type 'msconfig' without the quotes, and press Enter.

2.) Click the 'services' tab

3.) Uncheck: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler, Uncheck: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard

4.) Click the 'startup' tab, uncheck 'avgnt'

5.) Click, OK, and restart the system.

6.) Press Ctrl-Alt-Del or right click the taskbar and select task manager... Click
    the processes tab and look for netfxupdate.exe...Be patient and wait for it to disappear off the list to signify the update has finished installing.  If you don't see it, then whoa, you have a fast computer.. Continue on.

7.) Repeat step #1, re-check those items that were disabled in steps 3 and 4...
    Reboot..
    And have a nice day

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:23 PM
  • I'd really like to thank Speirs for their post, it helped me solve this problem! It's really very annoying, it started because someone using my laptop clicked to install an update...

Press ctrl-alt-del to get the Task Manager, go to Processes and end the process called  "netfxupdate.exe". It solved my problem!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi

Just to concur, I have the identical problem, started a couple of day ago. Can't hibernate either by closing the lid, or by entering hibernation mode from the closedown menu.  If I use the task manager to stop the netfxupdate.exe process, it then works fine. But I cant find that process in my startup programs (using startup inspector) and it just reloads next time I boot.

WIN XP media edition

HP Pavilion dv 9600

Thankyou

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Me, too, only started two days ago. Can anyone offer any advice please? Thanks.

Speirs wrote:

Hello,

Until recently my laptop went into stand-by mode whenever i closed the screen (like chosen through properties, energy). But when i close my screen now or want to get my laptop into stand-by mode, i receive the message that Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1.4322 Update-service prevents going into stand-by and that i should shut down this service and then try again. Can you tell me how to shut down this service and/or how to get back to the previous state (no interruption of going into stand-by)?

Thank you,

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Idd, i checked all the exe. in task manager and found, using startup inspector (start, search), that it was netfxupdate.exe that caused the problem, so i shut down the proces. I found this netfxupdate.exe at WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322. This exe. was made 15 january 2007 and i have never had any problems with it before. Maybe an update bug?

I have WIN XP Pro, Dell Inspiron 6400

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:07 PM
  • just do this: open WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322/updates/M928366 this number  M928366 is a folder that keep the updates. then you'l find the unistall icon. that's it. it work good on my PC.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:05 PM
  • I am also experiencing this problem. What gives? I tried to uninstall 1.1.4322 and it then told me that it had found 2.0 and wanted to know if it should proceed. Is it telling me that it's going to uninstall 2.0 also?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I have this problem also, just since yesterday.  I had just installed some of those patches microsoft sends around.  I tried to uninstall 1.1.4322 and the installer got hung up.  Should I install 2.0?  Is there some way to petition dark lord Microsoft to fix his mistake?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:53 AM
  • I'm having this same error, but I've only seen it so far on a Dell XPS 410 machine.  Any similarities out there?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 4:09 AM
  • This problem introduced itself on last Patch Tuesday (2007-07-11).

Until Microsoft fixes the problem, just run the batch-file below just before you suspend/hibernate/standby your system, this disables the service.

I named the batchfile "stop-.net-update-service.bat".

The batch-file consists of only one line:

net stop "Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.4322 Update"

Other people indicate you can use the Task Manager to kill a certain process, but the above method is a little friendlier to that process and ensures the offending process can cleanup properly.

A lot of people suffer from this problem (it even made it to "Heise Security" http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/92657) so it will surely get some attention at Microsoft :-)

--jeroen

Saturday, July 14, 2007 7:04 AM
  • I know what to do ,, I had the same problem yesterdag until my friend helped me out ,

just do ctr-alt-del and go to prossesses then find the task :  neftxupdate.exe   

End the task

et voila

stand-by mode is backStick out tongue

Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:55 AM
  • THE ABOVE IS A GREAT SIMPLE SOLUTION!

What I don't know is if I have permanently disabled something important...

Saturday, July 14, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Isn't it a bit strange that we all had the same problem during the last couple of days?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:41 PM
  • My HP Pavilon dv1000 suffers from the same, thanks to your help I fixed it. But also wonder what I have disabled more :-)

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Hi, I think it's linked to the Windows update recently - it stopped working when I did the update.

Any further news on solution?

Thanks
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:26 PM
  • I'd really like to thank Speirs for their post, it helped me solve this problem! It's really very annoying, it started because someone using my laptop clicked to install an update...

Press ctrl-alt-del to get the Task Manager, go to Processes and end the process called  "netfxupdate.exe". It solved my problem!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:24 AM
  • It just keeps coming back. It reappeared on the Task Manager so I run CMD, and typed:
    I believe we're going to deal with it until Microsoft fixes it.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:15 AM
  •  

Many thanks I had the same problem.

ctrl-alt-del worked for me. Incredible that after all this time microsoft can still send out an update that knackers everyones computer!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Never ever ust Ctrl-Alt-Del if other solutions work.

You basically kill a process without giving it the opportunity to save any important information it might need to store.

Ctrl-Alt-Del is like dumping your car at a scrapyard when you run out of fuel.

--jeroen

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:36 PM
  • to keep the service from starting every time you reboot, go to control panel>administrative tools>services. right click on the service and choose properties. change from automatic to manual. click ok. right click on service again and click stop.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:33 AM
  • You are a LEGEND Noulez. I to was having this problem and tried a couple of other things suggested in this forum, but your suggestion was the easiest and the only one that worked for me. THANKYOU!!!!

I can now enter standby mode when I close my laptop.

Cheers, Cool Angel

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:41 AM
  • I'm pretty sure that the process will start again the next time you login or restart. Might work for a temporary solution.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:22 AM
  • What if I chose to Disable it?
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:28 PM
  •  jpluimers wrote:

Never ever ust Ctrl-Alt-Del if other solutions work.

You basically kill a process without giving it the opportunity to save any important information it might need to store.

Ctrl-Alt-Del is like dumping your car at a scrapyard when you run out of fuel.

--jeroen

You are right. But a Mediacentre depends on standby.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Indeed, ofter restart or turn off the problem is back.

Does anyone knows someone to Microsoft Inc.? I would be glad to send a few words to Mr. Gates

Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:40 PM
  • In order to prevent it from coming back every time you reboot / restart:
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    Find Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1.4322 Update, right click, Properties.
    Startup type: Choose Disable.

It won't be on the Task Manager next time you reboot / restart
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Hello, I have been regularly supporting users at annoyance.org with their issues.. The standby issue with netfxupdate.exe was brought up, and I too, had the problem.  Everything you guys suggested is a temporary solution... The question is, what does cause the netfxupdate.exe to hang up?? Well, I have solved the problem once and for all... Please let me copy and paste the follow thread from annoyances.org.  The real answer is Avira AntiVir.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1184510057?s

As I said before, I too, HAD the same problem (as of now), as well as many posts
    on the internet of other people having the same problem... So, I started the painstaking
    process of actually figuring out what IS causing the problem.

The update in question was released July 10th, 2007.. It is called KB928366... It's
    a hotfix that can be uninstalled right from add/remove programs...

So, I went through the uninstall, and then had to follow the information in another
    Microsoft article to clean up the system after removing this update, and then had
    to reinstall an even older update that gets broken when you run the cleanup tool..
    Smile 

I used the followig Microsoft links to do all this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928366
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939160
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886903
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8EC6FB8A-29EB-49CF-9DBC-1A0DC2273FF9&displaylang=en

Low and behold, the older update also failed to install, locking up with the netfxupdate.exe
    utility..

So, I went in and used msconfig to disable all non-microsoft services, and startup
    items.. I then rebooted and the netfxupdate.exe process did start, but within a couple
    minutes finished and quit...  So, obviously at this point I know the issue has to
    do with software on my PC interfering with the update..

So, I turned everything back to normal in msconfig so all my programs would load
    again, I rebooted and went back to update.microsoft.com and went ahead and reinstalled
    the troublesome update (928366) that you are having trouble with... Sure enough,
    netfxupdate fails to finish and just hangs again after rebooting...

So, I went through one software package at a time, disabling each component in msconfig...
    The first thing I disabled was Avira AntiVir Personal Edition... I use this only
    for scanning customers hard drives for viruses.. I do not use it actively on my PCs.

Upon rebooting my PC the netfxupdate.exe process started and after a few minutes
    it closed and all was back to normal..

My conclusion, Avira AntiVir is preventing the netfxupdate from doing its thing...
    It could be any number of security programs doing the same thing.. The solution to
    solve this problem, is not to uninstall anything, but to simply go into msconfig,
    shutdown non-microsoft services and start-up items (effectively disabling all security
    software, hopefully) and reboot.. Then monitor your processes in task manager and
    wait for the netfxupdate.exe to finish and disappear off the list.. Now, go into
    msconfig, set your system back to normal startup and reboot.. All is back to normal
    now..

If you are ambitious try to use a process of elimination and determine which program
    actually IS causing the netfxupdate to not finish properly and post it here...

Hope this helps

*** Post #2 ***

The information was meant ot be complete for any of the number of other people who
    will read the forum with this problem..

To disable Avira AntiVir temporarily so that the .NET framework update can complete,

3.) Uncheck: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler, Uncheck: AntiVir PersonalEdition
    Classic Guard

6.) Press Ctrl-Alt-Del or right click the taskbar and select task manager... Click
    the processes tab and look for netfxupdate.exe...Be patient and wait for it to disappear
    off the list to signify the update has finished installing.  If you don't see it,
    then whoa, you have a fast computer.. Continue on.

7.) Repeat step #1, re-check those items that were disabled in steps 3 and 4... Reboot..
    And have a nice day

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:36 AM
  • Very nice it solved the problem! Thank you very much Appleoddity .

So for all Avira AntiVir users i reposted Appleoddity's second post which contains the solution for the discussed problem.

3.) Uncheck: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler, Uncheck: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard

the processes tab and look for netfxupdate.exe...Be patient and wait for it to disappear off the list to signify the update has finished installing.  If you don't see it, then whoa, you have a fast computer.. Continue on.

7.) Repeat step #1, re-check those items that were disabled in steps 3 and 4...
    Reboot..
    And have a nice day

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Well, if you are using the AntiVir anti virus protection, it might not be so strange. Antivir is preventing the netfxupdate.exe from terminating. The netfxupdate.exe process is part of the KB928366 hotfix, updating the .NET 1.1 framework. The workaround, provided by appleoddity, is to disable the Antivir services and reboot your computer, letting netfxupdate.exe terminate. Then re-enable the services and reboot again. See the full description and the step-by-step procedure.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:11 PM
  • Many thanks - seems to work. WHy can't Microsoft tell us this. I asked them and did what they said but to no use. This seems simple. Are there any side-effects?

Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:26 PM
  • The only side-effect I can think of is that you need to realize that AntiVir is off until you re-enable it. So it might be advisable to avoid checking your email - or at least do so with caution - while you are updating. And remember re-enabling AntiVir afterwards!
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:44 PM
  • I am unable to download Microsoft.net Framework 1.1. I uninstalled it from my settings in Control Panel.  I am trying to upgrade Quickbooks,and this issue is not allowing me to do this.  Please help!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:17 AM
  • It has been a month since this problem was reported. 

The temporary solution I used is to  stop "Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.4322 Update" in the services under the Admin tools in control panel and set it to a manual start.

Has this been fixed more elegantly yet?  I don't like the idea of this updater hanging around with unfinished business.

-Stragen
    Friday, August 17, 2007 11:39 AM
  •  

AntiVir definitely seemed to be the problem with mine.  I'm an IT administrator and after patching over 1000 machines the only one that this recurred on was my home machine which was running Avira AntiVir.  If you are running that, I would definitely suggest stopping that to let the .net update finish, then start it back up again.  It worked like a charm for me, and for a number of others on this thread.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Thank you so much for this post. This problem has been driving me crazy for the past week, and this fix cleared the problem up immediately. I truly appreciate the clarity of your instructions!!

Doreen

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Doesn't work for me. I tried everything and the netfxupdate.exe keeps running everytime I restart. I spent half a day already trying to do all kinds of things, including the procedure above. Nothing helps... Anyone?
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Why doesn't Microsoft offer a fix for this problem by now? Obvisouly it's a wide-spread problem and it has been reported by a LOT of people.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:30 PM
  • Are you sure you tried the procedure described here (previous page)? That definitely solved the problem for me.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:11 PM
  • Hi... Please verify if you are running Avira Anti-Virus products or not? 

Also, we can not rightly blame this problem on Microsoft.. Their update is failing to install from what appears to be the effect of a third party product.  As I don't know the exact cause of why the update won't install with Avira enabled, I can not say if the problem is a result of the update failing to work with Avira, or if it is Avira failing to work properly with the update.  Although, the latter, is more likely.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Did that.  Problem solved.  Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:27 AM
  •  Speirs wrote:

Hello,

Thank you,

Monday, August 27, 2007 1:32 PM
  •  

I don't know what you are talking about - i thoiught this service was supposed to be user friendly - but then why would anything that Microsoft does be user friendly.  It's time to move to Mac products.

nj

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:22 AM
  • I had the same problem and I am not running Avira.  I have Norton Internet Security 2007. I believe this problem occurs if you install the update and also have .Net 2.0 installed.  Since from everything I have seen it seems that the netfxupdate only needs to run once after the update is applied, what I did was go into services and set it to manual start instead of automatic.  Problem is gone and does not reappear on reboot.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 12:41 AM
  •  

I must reinforce the idea, that ctrl-alt-del and killing the task, or setting it to disabled/manual is NOT the solution to this problem.

You have prevented the service from starting and finishing what it is supposed to do.  Ofcourse, it has "fixed" your standby problem, but you have not allowed the update to install properly.

I don't know why you are having the issue, but it is not effected by the net 2.0 framework being installed.. I had that installed also.  It may be Norton.. But, as you will read, Avira definitely caused this problem for many, many people.. There are certainly other reasons why your update may fail, and you may have to do some more troubleshooting.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 1:15 AM
  •  

I'll fill you in later, thanks
    Thursday, March 06, 2008 2:04 AM
  •  jaxlarus wrote:
    It just keeps coming back. It reappeared on the Task Manager so I run CMD, and typed:
    I believe we're going to deal with it until Microsoft fixes it.
    thank  you
    Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:02 PM
  • At this point, if you are still not able to get this update to install, you can be sure it IS NOT an issue with the update, it IS an issue with your PC.  The problem caused by Avira was definitely an issue.  But, this update has now been out for several months, and if you are having trouble installing it you need to start troubleshooting why it is not working for you, because IMO its not going to be "fixed," because it isn't broken.  There are dozens of other things that could be corrupted/misconfigured on your PC that would prevent the update from installing.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:38 PM
  • hello every body thanks so much abut this good link
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:51 AM
  • Excuse me, but the problem IS the update, if you have any problem that not permit to program continue you MUST inform that issue, so if update have a acces denied or file locked by other process or permissions  denied, MUST BE SHOW A MESSAGE.

Would you do a program that do something without take care of possible errors? that does it just HANG UP waiting for something that possibly never occurs?

for me is an UPDATE ISSUE...

It's just must say "error access to file nn denied" !!!!
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:56 PM
  • It may be that your virusscanner is interfering with the update.

Here's a topic from Avira Antivir acknowledging the problem:
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadid=24535

So it may just be a conflict. If the updater would cancel anything that prevents it from updating whatever it is updating, the problem should be solved.

So, for Antivir users, here's probably the solution (and you may not like it):

De-install the virusscanner and reboot.
    Re-install the virusscanner and reboot.

Problem should be fixed if nothing else is interfering.
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:33 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you,

Monday, June 14, 2010 12:40 AM
  • I have the same problem with the .net framework error keeping my laptop from going into standby mode.  I tried the fix you suggested, but I don't have AntiVir or avgnt running on my computer.  Any other suggestions?
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Wow, it seems this problem has been cropping up since 2007.

Just this last weekend I have begun experiencing this very problem. 

"the service microsoft .net framework v1.1.4322 update' is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. try stopping the service and try again."

I also don't have AntiVir or avgnt running on my computer.

doesn't sound like the ol ctrl-alt-del is the best wat to solve this.  Do we need to merely wait for another MS update?

Can anyone please advise?

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:54 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, started a few days ago, and when I do the suggested "config", under the "services" tab there is no "Avira" to found... clearly I don't have this program on my computer anywhere. I'm a bit afraid to try any of the other above suggested solutions, reading through them it sounds like none of them are permanent solutions. And I'm apprehensive to uninstall and reinstall my anti-virus program (Trend Micro Internet Security). Please advise.

Thanks so much. This is a great forum.

Friday, October 08, 2010 3:01 PM
  • I also have just started having this problem ("System Hibernation Failed: The service Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.4322 Update is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Try stopping this service and try again.").

I'm using a HP Pavilion dv4000.  I do not have Avira antivirus; have Norton.

Have no clue what set off this issue!

Just reporting this for the record...

Saturday, October 09, 2010 5:17 PM
  • My mother-in-law is having the same problem. We temporarily disabled it, but how do we know when an update fixes it?
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:30 AM
  • The same problem started up yesterday. No Avira.  Have XP and Trend Micro.  Tried rebooting and didn't help. After reading all the suggestions decided to try a modification.

1. Shut down all programs.

2. Turn off all Trend Micro instead of uninstalling it.

3. Restart computer.

4. Turn Trend Micro back on.

5.  Hibernate and Standby functions working.  Still working today.

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:55 PM
  • I have the same problem.   I had Avira briefly, but uninstalled it.  I'm now using Panda.

Just curious, how many of us are using XP Media Center Edition? 

I couldn't get the TV listings to download completely until I uninstalled .NET Framework 4.  Since, Media Center still didn't work -- I was missing a driver, I disabled it in Services and reinstalled .NET Framework 4.

XP Media Center Edition never plays well with others and I'm tired of spending hours on the web trying to solve Microsoft's buggy software.

A Microsoft tech who specializes in MCE is suppose to call me within 48 hours.  I'll let you know if I solve the problem.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hi there - I started experiencing this problem 2 days ago. 

I am using Windows XP Media Center Addition, a Dell Inspirion laptop with TrendPCillion anti-virus.  I couldn't locate the "update" to get it closed or stopped as the error message directed.

I followed the instruction that Roselaine123 provided just before you posted, trek400.  And it worked perfectly!  No more problems, laptop in entering hibernation just as it used to do. 

It's a bit disturbing that this 'update' has been causing problems for a few years and still is not fixed.  At any rate, try Roselaine's suggestion and see if that works for you.  Good luck!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Hi there - I started experiencing this problem 2 days ago. 

I am using Windows XP Media Center Addition, a Dell Inspirion laptop with TrendPCillion anti-virus.  I couldn't locate the "update" to get it closed or stopped as the error message directed.

I followed the instruction that Roselaine123 provided just before you posted, trek400.  And it worked perfectly!  No more problems, laptop in entering hibernation just as it used to do. 

It's a bit disturbing that this 'update' has been causing problems for a few years and still is not fixed.  At any rate, try Roselaine's suggestion and see if that works for you.  Good luck!

I tried Roselaine's suggestion, and it didn't work. 

I've contacted Microsoft via e-mail and phone.  This morning I got an e-mail from customer support telling me it's an IE 8 issues and gave me a link so I can do more research.  Now, if he's customer support and not tech support, how does he know what's causing the problem?  The quest continues.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:15 PM
  • The problem has been solved!

I spoke to a very nice Microsoft tech guy who deals only with XP MCE and he was able to assist me. 

I downloaded the .net Cleanup Utility from the following link: http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-08-90-44-93/dotnetfx_5F00_cleanup_5F00_tool.zip

I then removed ALL versions of .NET Framework. 

Going to Windows Update, I did a CUSTOM search, and downloaded ONLY two updates -- Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 AND Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86.

After these two updates installed, I tested whether the computer would go into standby or hibernation, which they did. 

I returned to Windows Update, did another CUSTOM search, and installed more .NET Frameworks, starting with those that began with a 1 or 2 in it's name.  For example -- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416447.

It is important to only install the .NET Framework updates a few at a time, so you can check whether the computer will enter standby/hibernation after each installation.  If the computer fails to enter standby/hibernation, you can figure out which is the troubling update.

I continued installing updates, ending with the two updates for .NET Framework 4.

If I've made any spelling or syntax errors, I apologize.  It's 1:30am and I've finally fixed the .NET Framework problem and installed the voluminous amount of updates from Tuesday.  I can only hope they don't screw things up.   :)

Friday, October 15, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Hi, I'm haveing hte same error, but when I went under "msconfig" (without the quotes) The AntiVir... wasn't there...also the avgnt wasn't under startup...so now what do I do?
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Yes, it's probably your antivirus not allowing the update to complete.  I use Norton and I simply disabled  Norton then rebooted my computer and gave it a couple of minutes for the update to complete and then tested the standby and hibernate modes. They both worked fine so I re-enabled Norton and the problem is solved.
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:23 PM