none
TF900547: The directory containing the assemblies for the Visual Studio Test Runner is not valid

Answers

• Hi Tom, 

Thanks for your post.

If you use the TFS 2013 default build process template in your build definition, Team Build will invoke VS 2013 Test Runner to run the test during build solution by default. So if you want to build the NUnit tests using Team Build 2013, you should ensure you can manually run your NUnit tests using VS 2013 Test Runner on build agent machine. Please install VS 2013 on your build agent machine, and install that required Adapter(dll) for your VS 2013, then run NUnit tests using VS 2013, and check the result.    

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Hi John,

I tried with a demo application on the new Build Controller [on Windows 7 (IE 10 and VS 2013 Preview available)] and now the test is executed correctly. So Visual Studio indeed needs to be installed on the Build Agent.

I do think it's a pitty that I need to install Visual Studio on all build agents.

Thanks for your assistance and time!

Best regards,

Tom

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

In TFS 2012>>Build Definition, we can set VS 2010(MSTest) as Test runner.

But in TFS 2013 Preview version>>Build Definition, it seems we can’t change the Test runner, and it set to VS 2013 Test Runner by default.     

We’re continually updating the TFS 2013 with performance, reliability, and feature enhancements. For change the Test runner in TFS 2013 Build Definition, please submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

1        No, I mean that if you want to run test(unit test or test) using TFS 2013 Preview default build process template, you need to install VS 2013 Preview on build agent machine first.

2        VS 2013 Preview include VS 2013 Test Runner, if you installed VS 2013 Preview on build agent machine, it mean that VS 2013 Test Runner has be installed on it.

John Qiao [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Tom_EM Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:53 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:55 PM

All replies

• Please confirm following items.

• Did you configure the Nunit custom assemblies path in the Build controller as given in the article?
    • Are you able to run the Nunit execution manually in the specified build agent?

The tests will able to identify the bottom of the problem.

Also enable the Build log to "Diagonastic" to give more details on the logs what you are getting and share the same.

Cheers KSR

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

I have uploaded the 4 assemblies into a repository and specified it into the BuildController properties.

I'm not sure if I understand you well on the NUnit execution manually. But I launched on the Build controller server NUnit and run the test dll, which succeeds.

Here by the log output of my build

I did not find where to change the log level to "Diagonastic". I'll continue to find this and try to acquire a lower level logging.Best regards,

Tom

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi Tom, 

Thanks for your post.

If you use the TFS 2013 default build process template in your build definition, Team Build will invoke VS 2013 Test Runner to run the test during build solution by default. So if you want to build the NUnit tests using Team Build 2013, you should ensure you can manually run your NUnit tests using VS 2013 Test Runner on build agent machine. Please install VS 2013 on your build agent machine, and install that required Adapter(dll) for your VS 2013, then run NUnit tests using VS 2013, and check the result.    

John Qiao [MSFT]

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:43 AM
  • In the past I never installed visual studio on our build server, and would like to keep it that way... For VS 2013 Preview I need IE 10, and on our servers is still IE 8... Not sure if company policy allows me to install IE 10.

Isn't there a work around without installing VS2013 on every build agent?

Best regards,

Tom

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

In TFS 2012>>Build Definition, we can set VS 2010(MSTest) as Test runner.

But in TFS 2013 Preview version>>Build Definition, it seems we can’t change the Test runner, and it set to VS 2013 Test Runner by default.     

We’re continually updating the TFS 2013 with performance, reliability, and feature enhancements. For change the Test runner in TFS 2013 Build Definition, please submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Do you mean that in TFS 2012 the integration with NUnit was possible, but no longer for TFS 2013 (Preview)?

If the value is set fixed to VS 2013 Test Runner, does this mean that when I install VS 2013 it still would not work?

Best regards,

Tom

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

1        No, I mean that if you want to run test(unit test or test) using TFS 2013 Preview default build process template, you need to install VS 2013 Preview on build agent machine first.

2        VS 2013 Preview include VS 2013 Test Runner, if you installed VS 2013 Preview on build agent machine, it mean that VS 2013 Test Runner has be installed on it.

John Qiao [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Tom_EM Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:53 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your answer. Now I understand you. I downloaded IE 10 (42.2 mb), which is required to install VS 2013 Preview, but as said, seems that I need an internet connection for the installation, which is not available on our servers. Is there a work around for that?

Best regards,

Tom

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Hi John,

In meanwhile I'll try to configure a new build controller on a Win 7 machine which has IE 10 and VS2013 preview installed. I'll try to get NUnit running on that machine. I'll keep you informed about any progress.

Best regards,

Tom

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Hi John,

I tried with a demo application on the new Build Controller [on Windows 7 (IE 10 and VS 2013 Preview available)] and now the test is executed correctly. So Visual Studio indeed needs to be installed on the Build Agent.

I do think it's a pitty that I need to install Visual Studio on all build agents.

Thanks for your assistance and time!

Best regards,

Tom

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:58 PM