none
Solving "application configuration is incorrect" with VS2005 8.0.50727.6195 redist

Question

• Hello,

We recently updated a 3rd party library that we use with one of our projects.  In doing this we encountered the dreaded "application configuration is incorrect" error when trying to run our project.  I've traced this down to an issue of the Visual Studio 2005 redistributables being different on two of our dev machines - specifically, the redist on the machine where we built the new dlls/libs is of version 8.0.50727.6195, and the redist on the machine where we are trying to run the project is 8.0.50608.0.

So, in order to solve this issue, I've tried to update the machine where we are trying to run the project to version 8.0.50727.6195 (info on the update here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538242).  However, in order to do this it seems that I have to go to the Microsoft Update website, and it seems that the site doesn't work for the target machine.  This machine is running Windows XP, whereas the machine where we are building the dlls/libs is on Windows 7.  Could this be the reason why I can't seem to update to the correct version of the redistributable?  Is there a way around this?  I'm going to look into this possible solution: http://tedwvc.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/avoiding-problems-with-vc2005-sp1-security-update-kb971090/ - but I would prefer to just bring all of our dev machines to the same version of the redistributable.

As I've seen suggested elsewhere, I've also tried pulling the redist executable from the VS2005InstallDir/SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ directory on the up to date machine and running that on the other machine to bring it up to date, but that doesn't seem to install the latest version.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

• Moved by lucy-liu Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:06 AM it is a update machine issue (From:Visual Studio Editor)
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Shawn,

Is it right that after you installed the version 8.0.50727.6195, the version of Visual C++ in Control Panel still is 8.0.50608.0?

If it is, it seems like the installation failed. I recommend try to uninstall all the Visual C++ Redistributable again via the Control Panel or MsiInv. After you remove them, please check if they disappear from Control Panel. If they still exist, I recommend you use this tool to try to uninstall them: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx

The error 1605 is a Windows Installer error code that means "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Likely this means that one of the installed products on your system is in a bad/inconsistent state, and that is confusing msiinv and the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I'm not sure how to narrow down exactly what product is causing that error though. It might help to use the -v (verbose) switch on msiinv. If you want, you can run msiinv in verbose mode and zip and send me the log file so I can see if I can figure out anything about the root cause. You can upload the log file to a public website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi hypnic,

As you said, you want to update the machine . So I move this thread to Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum for a better support.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I recommend you install Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable which version is 8.0.50727.762.

For Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable (x86), please download it from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5638

For Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable (x64), please download it from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18471

If the update does not solve the problem, please install Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your assistance.  However, when I try to install the 8.0.50727.762 redist that you linked, it opens the window with the progress bar for installing, but hangs there.  The progress bar does not fill up at all and the window eventually closes with no shown error.

Any idea why that might occur?  The machine that I'm trying to install it on does have VS2005 installed, and the link you provided says the package is for computers that don't have VS2005 installed.  Could this be part of the issue?  Also, the machine I'm working with has had Automatic Updates turned off for a long while now.  I've turned them back on and it is currently downloading a large backlog of updates.  I'm hoping that the updated redist will be included in one of those updates.

Again, thank you for the assistance,

Shawn

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

I recommend you install all the Windows Updates first. Then check if you have the 8.0.50727.762 version of Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable installed or not.

It is hard to determine which reason lead the freezing installation without log. I strongly recommend you wait for the results. Before the installation,  please clean up the %temp% folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%). Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation. If any error appears, I recommend you use this tool to collect the log: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

Upload the vslogs.cab file located in %temp% folder to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

I believe that the machine is completely up to date now, and still has the incorrect version of the redist.  I tried again to install the redist that you linked me after clearing out the temp folder.  This time I noticed that it seemed to do one or two things (the progress bar flashed full a couple times) and then it hung up again.  I used Collect to get the file that you requested, here is the link:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=227b4e9481e4ea29&resid=227B4E9481E4EA29!112&parid=227B4E9481E4EA29!108&authkey=!AHGs3VvXq26lGE0

Thanks again,

Shawn

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

I checked your logs. Unfortunately, the Windows update log was not be collected successfully.

You also can remove all the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable on your machine and install Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1 directly. You can try to uninstall them in Control Panel first. If you fail to remove them, I recommend you use MsiInv tool to uninstall them: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

Please run this tool to get the product code first. Then this command “msiexec /x <product code>” with product code to remove them.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

Sorry about the logs not being collected successfully.  Do you happen to know if I did something wrong and how to correctly collect them?

I also tried uninstalling the Visual Studio redists through the control panel.  They were removed from the "Add / Remove Programs" list, but I can still find the redist files under ProgramFiles/VS2005/VC/redist - the ones that are of the old version.  However, after I removed them through the control panel, I ran MsiInv to see if they were not removed correctly, but the MsiInv did not find them.  I then tried installing the redist that you directed me to, and running MsiInv again.  It was found, and I did the "msiexec /x <product code>" command.  It asked if I wanted to uninstall the product, I clicked yes, and then an error dialog popped up stating "This installation package could not be opened.  Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."  Not sure if that helps pinpoint what is going wrong here...

I appreciate all of your help thus far.  Any other avenues that we may be able to explore on this?  I never imagined it would be so difficult to update the VS redist...

Thanks,

Shawn

Monday, December 19, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Importantly, if the MsiInv does not find any version of Visual C++, it means all the Visual C++ Redistributable are removed completely.

Could you please let me know if the version of Visual C++ is correct in Control Panel or not after you reinstall it?

If you are not sure whether the Visual C++ is correct, please try to reinstall it. If you encounter any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

Alright so to be sure of what I've done I went through these steps again:

1)  Checked the version of the VS2005 redist that I installed yesterday (as per your instructions) through the Add / Remove Program dialog as well as through MsiInv.  It was version 8.0.50608.0.

2)  Uninstalled the VS2005 redist through the Add / Remove Program dialog and ran MsiInv again to make sure it had been successfully uninstalled.  It was.

3)  Downloaded the redist that you linked in your first post (the x86 one).  Note that on the download page for this it says that the version is 8.0.50727.6195.
    4)  I installed this redist and checked its version through the Add / Remove Program dialog as well as through MsiInv.  It was version 8.0.50608.0.

Note:  I get two "Unexpected Error: 1605" messages when I do the MsiInv output command, but this happens whether the redist was installed or not, so not sure if this has any bearing on this issue.

Does this bring up any ideas?

Thanks,

Shawn

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Is it right that after you installed the version 8.0.50727.6195, the version of Visual C++ in Control Panel still is 8.0.50608.0?

If it is, it seems like the installation failed. I recommend try to uninstall all the Visual C++ Redistributable again via the Control Panel or MsiInv. After you remove them, please check if they disappear from Control Panel. If they still exist, I recommend you use this tool to try to uninstall them: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx

The error 1605 is a Windows Installer error code that means "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Likely this means that one of the installed products on your system is in a bad/inconsistent state, and that is confusing msiinv and the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I'm not sure how to narrow down exactly what product is causing that error though. It might help to use the -v (verbose) switch on msiinv. If you want, you can run msiinv in verbose mode and zip and send me the log file so I can see if I can figure out anything about the root cause. You can upload the log file to a public website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

Hope you had a good holiday.  Sorry for the long delay, I was put on some more important projects for a bit there.  Anyway, I have redone the msiinv output in verbose mode, and have uploaded the file to skydrive, here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=227b4e9481e4ea29&resid=227B4E9481E4EA29!113&parid=227B4E9481E4EA29!108&authkey=!AG6F-qVXS5ntgE4

Thanks,
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Hi Hypnic,

Form the log:

2011/12/12 16:07:22 Type: INFORMATION Event ID: 0x00002DBC Source: MsiInstaller

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU -- Installation failed.

2011/12/12 16:07:22 Type: ERROR       Event ID: 0x000003FF Source: MsiInstaller

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU

It seems like the installation of Visual Studio 2005 has corrupted. I recommend you try to repair Visual Studio 2005 in Control Panel to check if everything is ok or not.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:18 AM