none
vc2005: strcpy(char[100], CString); doen't work. Why?

Question

• Hi,

Recently I updated to Visual Studio 2005 (from 2003)

In VC++2003 this code worked:

char SuperString1[100];

//m_supervar is a member variable associated with some Dialog Edit contron (CString)

strncpy(SuperString1, m_supervar, 5);

This does not compile in VC++2005...

the same problem with strcpy...

So question is how to convert CString to char in VC++2005?

Thanks in advance

Serhiy

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:06 PM

Answers

• I am sure it compiles, but you are probably talking about the warning. In VC++ 2005, the CRT string functions have been deprecated. I'd suggest that you update your code to use the new secure CRT.

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/8ef0s5kh.aspx

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:16 PM
  • You should take a look at the diagnostic. My guess is that VC++2005 eventually defaults to UNICODE builds.

If the UNICODE && _UNICODE macros are defined TCHAR maps to wchar_t not char. Hence, CString is a typedef for CStringT<wchar_t>. There is no implicit conversion from CStringT<wchar_t> to char*.

The trivial fix is to use CStringA or _tcscpy. If you really want different encodings for the two strings there are many helpers (W2A(EX<>), std::basic_string<>, MultiByteToWideChar,mbstowcs ...).

But you should really take a look at _UNICODE in MSDN.

-hg

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:13 PM

All replies

• I am sure it compiles, but you are probably talking about the warning. In VC++ 2005, the CRT string functions have been deprecated. I'd suggest that you update your code to use the new secure CRT.

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/8ef0s5kh.aspx

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:16 PM
  • Just for the sake of curiosity, why do you need to copy the text from a CString to an array of char? I'm asking because, perhaps, you can even avoid this operation... Anyway, don't you think that allocating 100 elements when you only use 5 it's a little waist? Also, should't you do the copying like this (I'm just asking)?

strncpy(SuperString1, m_supervar, m_supervar.GetLength());

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:28 PM
  • You should take a look at the diagnostic. My guess is that VC++2005 eventually defaults to UNICODE builds.

If the UNICODE && _UNICODE macros are defined TCHAR maps to wchar_t not char. Hence, CString is a typedef for CStringT<wchar_t>. There is no implicit conversion from CStringT<wchar_t> to char*.

The trivial fix is to use CStringA or _tcscpy. If you really want different encodings for the two strings there are many helpers (W2A(EX<>), std::basic_string<>, MultiByteToWideChar,mbstowcs ...).

But you should really take a look at _UNICODE in MSDN.

-hg

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:13 PM
  • Thank you guys for your replys...

Sorry, but when i try to compile

strncpy(SuperString1, m_supervar, m_supervar.GetLength());

it reports an error (not warning):

error C2664: 'strncpy' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'CString' to 'const char *'

> perhaps, you can even avoid this operation

How can i do that? I need to copy only few characters from one string to another...
     (not all characters)

Thanks!

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:15 PM
  • > My guess is that VC++2005 eventually defaults to UNICODE builds.

You are right! i've removed the UNICODE definitions and now it compiles!!! Thank you!

Thank you guys!

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:46 PM
  •  wolka wrote:
    How can i do that? I need to copy only few characters from one string to another...
     (not all characters)

I don't know, because I don't know anything about what your code is suppose to do. If you explain it, I might suggest something.

Monday, May 15, 2006 9:19 PM
  • Or reinstate the UNICODE #defines and define

TCHAR SuperString1[100];

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:18 AM