none
Corrupt files that cannot be read or deleted

Question

• Hi all,

I'm a bit up the creek with visual studio 2005 (standard) at the moment. For one reason or another, when attempting to build the solution I'm told various program databases cannot be opened - when attempting to clean the solution I'm told that the files may be read-only or in use by another process, and thus can't be cleaned. I cannot delete the folder with the offending intermediate files in windows as I get the same error, and I can't even delete the folder through the command prompt.

Basically, it would appear that I'm a bit stuffed and I have some invincible visual studio intermediate files that cannot die.

I'm hoping someone will know what the issue is and how to resolve it (creating a new solution and porting content is not a viable option as there are several thousand source files split over a great many projects), and I currently don't have access to an older revision of the project.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Luke
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:35 PM

Answers

• As it happens, I've now just copied the folders without the intermediate directory onto a partition, and formatted the disk. Problem solved. Didn't want to take that route, but things weren't looking too good.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 12:31 PM

All replies

• Just Restart your System. and Then Clean the build and rebuild your Project may be this one help you. regarding your Problem you will get this type of error in case when you exe is already running as a background process you can check this in task manager and your Folder whom you want to delete may be some of files are shared by your project and if it contain some other folder too. So simply restart the system Delete all the unnecessasory Files clean the build and rebuild your project

Thanx
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Thanks, but unfortunately this isn't the solution. I have already tried restarting the system and have checked my background processes. I do believe the actual files themselves have become corrupt and unreadable (i.e, they can't even be opened in notepad++ in read-only mode).

Also, to clarify any future response, I'm also aware of the potential of similar errors occuring when files are stored in shared space (such as over a network) - this is not an issue as this is not the case in regards to this solution.

Thanks again,

Luke
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:54 AM
  • Maybe the problem is caused by security issues? Right-click on that folder and go to Properties, then Security. Ensure your username is in list and you have full control permissions. If you cannot change permissions, you probably have to re-login with Administrator account before changing security attributes.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:13 AM
  • Thanks, but no dice. I do have file control permissions. For future reference, I'm using Windows XP with SP2, if this makes any difference.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I have a hardware fault. I do hope this is not the case, as I'm working with a few month old machine.
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:11 AM
  • To find out who's actually using that file you may want to try with SysInternal's process explorer.

If the file is not in use and can't be deleted, then is probably time for a "chkdsk".

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:20 AM
  • No, I'm still stuck.

Checkdisk did 'delete' quite a few files, that appear to be the offenders. However, the files have not actually been deleted and I still cannot clean, build, or manually delete the files.
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Did 'chkdsk' find filesystem errors? You can have a look at the event log (system) to double check that.
    If the problem reappears you might be reloding a bugous driver / application at every boot.
    Do you have any antivirus software installed?

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:19 AM
  • As it happens, I've now just copied the folders without the intermediate directory onto a partition, and formatted the disk. Problem solved. Didn't want to take that route, but things weren't looking too good.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 12:31 PM
  • Great you got the solution but in future if you are not able to read your data then you can get it repaired using some third party recovery tool.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:26 AM