none
Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate - Business Intelligence

Question

• I have install Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 and SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) from SQL 2012 media.  I don't have the Business Intelligence templates when I create a new project in Visual Studio 2012.  SSDT also installed a Visual Studio 2010 Shell that DOES contain the Business Intelligence templates.

How do I get the Business Intelligence templates into Visual Studio 2012?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:13 PM

Answers

• We - the SQL Server product team - are planning to migrate the Business Intelligence project templates to allow for hosting in the Visual Studio 2012 shell. However, the work is still in progress and the release date is yet to be communicated. Stay tuned J

Thanks

Julie Strauss - Sr. Program Lead, SQL Server BI

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• I've forwarded this thread on to the SQL team.

- Heath @ http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths; Visual Studio Professional Deployment

• Proposed as answer by Mr Leeches Monday, February 11, 2013 10:51 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:50 PM
  • I have the same problem (or is it a question about what's supported?!) MSDN is deafeningly silent about this.

There are rumours / facts out there that in fact BI is NOT supported in VS 2012:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/jamesserra/2012/07/25/visual-studio-2012-does-not-support-bi/

I'm currently very confused...!

• Proposed as answer by rohancragg Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:58 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:26 AM
  • We - the SQL Server product team - are planning to migrate the Business Intelligence project templates to allow for hosting in the Visual Studio 2012 shell. However, the work is still in progress and the release date is yet to be communicated. Stay tuned J

Thanks

Julie Strauss - Sr. Program Lead, SQL Server BI

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Ok, but when I open an Analysis Services project under the VS2010 shell then it says it's incompatible with SQL Server 2012!

I just can't stand waiting hours again and again installing, repairing, uninstalling, and reinstalling Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate RC, SS Data tools *for VS2012*, SQL Server 2012 Developer, changing order, always to time and time again being prohibited to work!

Sorry to say it, but Microsoft has done it again for me: that "minor" bug that seems strategically placed to impede progress and annoy me to death! I have a master thesis deadline that I'm gonna miss because of this crap, that has nothing to do with just learning the tools and working, that what's this all should be about... Come on, we're no more in 1975, pioneering days, just try and be professional about this, that's all I ask, and clearly offer a solution as the issue is not solved.

Thank you

• Edited by MG_METRO Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Any idea about when this will be released? I'm not asking for a specific date, just a clue if it will be in 2012, or around which quarter next year. 

We are currently re-designing how we develop projects in my development department, and this information is very useful. If possible we would like to work with only VS 2012 and SQL Server 2012. Now we have SQL 2005, SQL 2008R2, SQL 2012, VS 2005, VS2008, VS2010 and VS2012 installed....

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Do you have any update on this issue? These should really be on the same release schedule. Visual Studio 2012 is rather useless to me without the Business Intelligence.
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Good news that the SQL Server product team are planning to migrate the Business Intelligence project templates to allow for hosting in the Visual Studio 2012 shell (One has to wonder why has this not done in the first place?). Any more news about the progress and the release date? Or a small hint? Else one has to go back to Visual Studio 2010.

Monday, October 08, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

Any news about the release date?

Daniel

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Will it work on professiaonal version of VS2012?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:54 PM
  • when is it going to happen, in sp3?
    (since sp1 is already out)
    • Edited by AhmetKuru Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:53 PM mispressed enter
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:52 PM

LOL... perhaps, in SP2...

Though I have a feeling, it won't make it until SQL Server vNext... :D

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Any news on when BI in Visual Studio 2012 will be available?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Any news as to when we can expect BIDS in VS2012? 

I find it ironic that when 2012 and Data Tools first came out - the Microsoft publicity engine was all over Data Tools replacing BIDS and offering Database projects etc.  Now I have SQL2012, VS2012, and the Data Tools upgrade for VS2012.  No SSIS, SSAS, RS.  Great job keeping your promises Microsoft.   

John

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:35 AM
  • Check out this link => http://www.jamesserra.com/archive/2012/04/ssdt-installation-confusion/

You can install BI templates for VS2010 only when installing SSDT from SQL 2012 installation media.

Hope this helps

Gregory OTT => http://twitter.com/gregory_ott
    ALM Engineer at Tekigo => www.tekigo.com

• Proposed as answer by Gregory OTT Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:48 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:48 AM

LOL... perhaps, in SP2...

Though I have a feeling, it won't make it until SQL Server vNext... :D

At which point VS vNext will be out, and then they'll be a version behind again... Maybe they can release a third product at that point and call it DataTools too, except it'll actually be Excel - that'll clear things up.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:55 AM
  • At which point VS vNext will be out, and then they'll be a version behind again... Maybe they can release a third product at that point and call it DataTools too, except it'll actually be Excel - that'll clear things up.

Isn't it what they want: always one step behind? [/sarcasm]
    But, at least, not what I want, and perhaps you and some others here... :D
    The fact is that it's been constantly like that with past SQL Server releases.

What makes me wondering, though, is when they will decide otherwise... :)

We'll see...
    Only they and God know... LOL

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:30 AM
  • C'mon SQL Server Product Team let's ship these templates before year's end!!!

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Would be a very good Christmas present from Microsoft....

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Is there anyway to develop BI Applications on visual studio 2012??
    • Proposed as answer by Shehroz jamal Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shehroz jamal Friday, December 14, 2012 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Christmas presents ! pah
    were lucky if we get easter eggs !
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:23 AM
  • I also have a rptproj project that will not open in Visual studio 2012.  It's beyond stupid and even worse: LAZY that MS releases this new hotness without any upgrade path for old projects so we have to waste HD space on keeping old versions of development environments around... or in my case, reinstalling them so I can continue work.

Stupid is one thing... lazy is inexcusable.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 4:13 PM
  • I have been developing using vs2010 and just got into BIDS. Most all my customers use sql 2008 (r2), which comes with some BIDS tool that is said to be just visual studio wtih bids template. I have enjoyed vs2010 for SSMS for azure development. If I want to be serious about BI developement, do I just use the cheesy tool sql2008r2 comes with? I am not keen to go to vs2012 unless I can insure easy migration of my azure projects which used vs2010, and somehow my bids projects can't 're-format' properly in vs2010 (seems to relate to what everyone is discussing in this thread).

When is the wizard of wizards (or 2012 bids templates) going to be ready to make my sql, azure, etc projects all forward/backward compatible? 

Is the little BIDS tool sql server 2008 comes with good enough to do SSIS and SSAS with sql server 2008 OLTP data source?   I was so happy with ssms and vs2010 as primary tools for Windows Azure development, and it totally makes sense to incorporate bids into visual studio.  Is Steve Ballmer worrying so much about win8 smart phone and dropping ball on business intelligence?...

Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:15 AM
  • I just got reply from Connect.Microsoft.Com regarding "Merge SSMS 2012 with more SSDT features" "Thanks for the feedback, we understand your request. Unfortunately at this time we are not making investments in this experience area." Does this mean mean that aren't improving MS SQLMS anymore? if they don't want to do the work, shouldn't they give up control of SQL MS to the Visual Studio team? They are probably better making IDE's that the DB team anyways. It's been decades and they haven't made an radical improvements with the IDE regarding productivity.

This was my request:

Please release more frequent updates to the IDE. Don't just update the IDE when the SQL Engine is updated. 

Solution Explorer 2012 is very limited in SSMS2012. We should be able to search/filter the items displayed just like VS2012.

Also, I would like to be able to have the same search everywhere feature in the text editor has for VS2012 C#. 

SSRS designer has lots of bugs. If you try making a table with gray cell borders and black top and bottom borders for each record1, you will see random visual border issues for each record. Can you have an option for SSRS Reports to be definied in HTML5 and CSS instead of RDL? RDL seems to be very verbose and buggy and I don't know how to use generation tools to generate my report template. 
    Obviously, you need to protect against Javascript endless loops, etc.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:18 PM
  • This is absurd. We're trying to consolidate our tools and make the case for the most modern version of the various MS tools. This is a huge frustration.

While I understand that these are two different teams, it's frustrating enough. For the folks who make the decisions on what tools to use/buy, this just makes it look like Microsoft is incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. The folks who just want to keep using VS/SQL 2008 also have great ammo because it's a single IDE install and the version numbers make sense.

We finally got some momentum and interest when VS and SQL were releasing at the same time and were going to upgrade TFS, VS, and SQL. This is seriously threatening that project because of the perception.

If the SQL BI team is going to use VS as their shell, they need to keep current. If they aren't going to keep current, just embed BI development into SSMS and be done with it.

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Does SQL Express have the BI toolsets(SSIS)...I need it to complete a Hadoop lab because it requires the analysis services tablular project? I have the SSDT but I don't see the BI stuff.

EDIT -> Nevermind...:-(

• Edited by ResidentX10 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Any update on the progress of this?
    Monday, February 04, 2013 3:36 PM
  • I second that - when will this be sorted!???
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:36 PM
  • I second that - when will this be sorted!???

never.

because soon VisualStudio vNext will appear on the horizon and there'll be no feature update for older version - that's the way it worked with previous Visual Studio version.

we've arranged to live with two Visual Studio version - or even 3 - VS2008, VS201 and VS2012 - each for a specific SQL Server version

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Daniel_Steiner,

Not funny...I have office 2010 & 2013, I have SQL 2008 and 2012, and VS2010 and VS2012.

I do have the BI tools now thought...in VS2010 :-)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:25 AM
  • it seems that the last update is bringing the BI templates:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36843

Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012

Daniel

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by rschmitz Monday, May 13, 2013 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:17 PM
  • I would just like to point out that this has always been the trend with SQL Server BI.  It's always one version behind with VS.  The reason for this is that the BI team is implementing it on a stable version of VS while the newer version of VS is being created.

They have a very good reason for not having it ready on the latest and greatest version.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see BI for SQL 2012 implemented on a future service pack or update for VS2012, you just should understand that this isn't something new in 2012 and they have a good reason for not supporting VS2012 at launch.

Friday, April 05, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Wanted to close a loose end on this thread.  We released SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012 on 3/5/2013.  Here's the download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36843

I'd like to thank you all for your eager interest in our tooling.  I hope these tools will help you be productive in your day to day work.

-Lukasz

Got a bug or feature request? Tell me about it at http://connect.microsoft.com. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Is there a 64 bit version available as when I try to install this on my existing installation I get an architecture mismatch fail due to its being 32 bit and my SQL Server/VS2012 install both being 64 bit installs.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Hi Stevie,

I've just found exactly the same problem in the last couple of hours. If you made the same mistake as me during installation there is a really easy way past this problem.

It looks like the BIDS templates are classed as shared components. As a result they are not part of any specific SQL instance. This means you need to choose to install a new instance when adding them rather than trying to upgrade an existing one. Trying to upgrade an existing 64 bit instance failed with the error you've described. 

Dave

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Did this ever happen? BI is important to my business...
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:28 PM