none
Getting started all over again...

Question

• Waaaaay back in 2003 I took a course called "Programming with the Microsoft .NET Framework (Microsoft Visual Basic .NET)"  Then I attempted for the next year to get approval to take more courses, failed, and eventually gave up.

Now, I'm being asked to write applications using VS 2008.  I have, of course, forgotten everything I learned 6+ years ago, plus I'm sure things have changed.  Plus we still don't have money for me to take any courses.  Oh joy.

So, my question to you is: can you recommend a free website, or a book I might find in my local library, that will give me a kick start into writing VB windows applications (database driven) and/or ASP.NET applications (also very database driven).  I'm proficient in VB 3, 5, and 6, along with ASP classic using VBScript.... I just have forgotten pretty much everything I once might have known about .NET.

Thanks very much for any direction you can provide!
    • Edited by alicorn2 Monday, January 04, 2010 11:02 PM fix typo
    Monday, January 04, 2010 11:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• try the learn button at the top of the page .

coding for fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    Please format the code in your posts with the button . Makes it easier to read .
    • Marked as answer by alicorn2 Monday, January 04, 2010 11:26 PM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Well hey, look at that.  Thanks, I'll have a browse through there.  I've requested all three books available from my library, too... :)
    Monday, January 04, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Hi alicorn2,

Take a look at all the links in this recent thread too.>>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/d4b90d18-5945-4c39-b050-a4187f7ea9af

Regards,

John
    • Marked as answer by alicorn2 Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:17 AM
  • That looks good too, thanks!

I'm currently reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/kehz1dz1.aspx - Help for Visual Basic 6.0 Users - which doesn't assume you're new to programming, so that's nice!  I do know how to program... just not with THIS :)
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:38 PM
  • If your learning VB6 you will have to transition to vb.net I would find a book on vb.net programming .
    coding for fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    Please format the code in your posts with the button . Makes it easier to read .
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Hi bdbodger, I think you misread my question.  I already know VB6, and I was asking for suggestions on specific vb.net books or websites.  I've got some good suggestions so I'm on my way now.  The link I referenced above is about learning vb.net for people who already know vb6, as opposed to learning vb.net when you've never programmed before.  (E.g I don't need someone to explain to me what an if-then-else is... I know that already... etc)
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 9:21 PM