none
Missing MSVCP71D.dll error during deployment

Question

• I've just recently completed  a script writing  program using  several 3rd party dlls and mfc and compiled it. Upon executing the exe, it reported about 2 missing dlls from the 3rd party ones, but i just copied them to the release folder. The thing is, an error stating missing MSVCP71D.dll popped up on the test deployment pcs. I know its the msvC++ runtime library, but is there some setting or configuration in the project properties or tool option that i'm supposed to specify so that this thing doesnt bug users who dont have the ide and compiler? I have defined the include, exe, and library paths for every related dll but the missing file errors still popped up.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:33 AM

Answers

• These files which end in "D" are used in case of Debug version of your applications. Are you sure you need to deploy Debug version instead of Release one? Maybe you only need to select the Release configuration before building the applications? I think in this case "*D.dll" files will not be required.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:20 AM

All replies

• In addition to that library, the following also popped up when the dll is manually copied to the user's system. All are the vc++, mfc and c runtime libraries.

msvcp71d.dll

mfc71d.dll

msvcr71d.dll
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:03 AM
  • These files which end in "D" are used in case of Debug version of your applications. Are you sure you need to deploy Debug version instead of Release one? Maybe you only need to select the Release configuration before building the applications? I think in this case "*D.dll" files will not be required.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:20 AM
  • Thanks, youre right. The problems lie in the 'additional dependencies'. The docs used .libs with a d appended at the end of the filenames. By getting rid of the 'd' for release build, this eliminated the missing runtime libs at exe.

On the side note, it still reported other libs as missing. I know i have included them, but they arent debug versions. Is it normal for applications that use non-microsoft made libraries to have a copy of those dlls?
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:06 AM